Sign in to follow this  
OrioleDog

6 Weeks Out | Why Not

On the Sunday with 6 weeks remaining in 1989, the Orioles beat Toronto and Dave Stieb 7-2 to earn a split of a 4-game series, improve to 64-59 and maintain a half-game lead on the Brewers in the AL East.  It was Pete Harnisch's 3rd career win.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198908200.shtml

Mark Thurmond got a rare non-Otter save as the bats made it a big lead in the bottom of the 7th and he just finished.

These were not the days of Eastern domination:

Tm W L W-L% GB RS RA pythW-L%
CAL 74 48 .607 -- 531 418 .608
OAK 75 49 .605 -- 519 442 .573
KCR 70 53 .569 4.5 531 489 .538
TEX 65 57 .533 9.0 538 540 .498
BAL 64 59 .520 10.5 554 532 .519
MIL 65 61 .516 11.0 549 526 .520
TOR 63 61 .508 12.0 560 518 .536
  • Upvote 1

That final weekend was one the biggest heartbreaks of my childhood.   Man was I pissed when we lost game 2.   The other being Notre Dame vs. Boston College.

Edited by GuidoSarducci

4 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

That final weekend was one the biggest heartbreaks of my childhood.   Man was I pissed when we lost game 2.   The other being Notre Dame vs. Boston College.

Game 1 is the one that sticks out for me. Phil Bradley led off with a homer but we failed to score the rest of the way, losing 2-1. Bummer of an end to a magical season for a team I wanted very badly to win.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Dave Johnson gutted out a tough performance on the Saturday afternoon game after Pete Harnisch got scratched after stepping on a nail. Johnson was pitching on three days rest, but went 7 innings with two runs given up. Offense ran out of gas that last series. 

LFCO4EO8_400x400.jpg

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Dave Johnson gutted out a tough performance on the Saturday afternoon game after Pete Harnisch got scratched after stepping on a nail. Johnson was pitching on three days rest, but went 7 innings with two runs given up. Offense ran out of gas that last series. 

LFCO4EO8_400x400.jpg

We actually went into the 8th inning of game 2 leading 3-1, then Johnson walked the first batter and is replaced.  Kevin Hickey comes in, walks the batter, is replaced by Williamson.   Sac bunt, now runners on 2nd and 3rd, just 1 out.  Mookie Wilson singles to score the runner on 3rd.  Another by McGriff single ties up the game, and advances a Wilson to 3rd.   George Bell sac fly.  Jays now up 4-3.

But had we won that game (and proceeded to win Sunday), we would have been tied with the Jays at 88 wins a piece- do we take the AL East in that scenario?  So we went into that series not just having to win 2/3, but having to sweep the Jays?