Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WillyM

I give up - what's the rule?

Recommended Posts

When the Orioles played the Nats last Sunday and the Nats' ground crew couldn't get the tarp on the field, we were told that, according to the rules, the game wasn't over.  It was suspended, and the rest of the game would have to be played in Baltimore on Friday night, prior to the scheduled game.  Furthermore, we were told that, even though two games were to be completed Friday night, the seven-inning doubleheader rule would not be in effect - both games would have to go the full nine innings.

Last night, the Rays and Blue Jays were unable to finish an official game on Saturday night.  The game was suspended with play in the fourth inning.  They resumed it today and completed nine innings, with the Rays winning in the ninth.

They then played the regularly scheduled game - but that one was played under the seven-inning doubleheader rule.  (Note that the game actually lasted eight innings - the teams were tied at the end of the seventh inning, so they played an eighth inning, starting with a runner on second base.  The Rays won again.)

What provision of the rule says that when the Orioles have to complete a suspended game prior to a regularly scheduled game, the second game must go nine innings, but if other teams have to complete a suspended game prior to a regularly scheduled game, the second game only has to go seven innings?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WillyM said:

When the Orioles played the Nats last Sunday and the Nats' ground crew couldn't get the tarp on the field, we were told that, according to the rules, the game wasn't over.  It was suspended, and the rest of the game would have to be played in Baltimore on Friday night, prior to the scheduled game.  Furthermore, we were told that, even though two games were to be completed Friday night, the seven-inning doubleheader rule would not be in effect - both games would have to go the full nine innings.

Last night, the Rays and Blue Jays were unable to finish an official game on Saturday night.  The game was suspended with play in the fourth inning.  They resumed it today and completed nine innings, with the Rays winning in the ninth.

They then played the regularly scheduled game - but that one was played under the seven-inning doubleheader rule.  (Note that the game actually lasted eight innings - the teams were tied at the end of the seventh inning, so they played an eighth inning, starting with a runner on second base.  The Rays won again.)

What provision of the rule says that when the Orioles have to complete a suspended game prior to a regularly scheduled game, the second game must go nine innings, but if other teams have to complete a suspended game prior to a regularly scheduled game, the second game only has to go seven innings?

 

I wondered the same thing.   I think Manfred is making up stuff as he goes along.

Maybe Tampa or Toronto complained about having to play the completion and a 9 inning game on Sunday, and Manfred said, OK, make the 2nd game a 7 inning game.   And maybe the Os or Nats didn't make a similar complaint.

Or maybe because it was a getaway day in Buffalo.

Or maybe because our game had 4 innings left so that meant a total of 13 scheduled innings for us Friday even with the 9 inning 2nd game.   And the Toronto game had almost 6 innings left so that would have been 15 scheduled innings.

I think basically to get the owners to agree to play the season, the union ceded a lot of power to Manfred to schedule/reschedule games to try to get in 60 games per team.   I think he's just doing whatever he feels like.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to this, there is a rare but longstanding rule that games past 5 innings that are stopped for mechanical issues will be suspended. That was the O's-Nats game. 

There is a new rule that games stopped before five innings will be suspended and played from where they left off instead of replayed. I believe that's what happened with Rays-Jays. https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/nbcsports/nationals-orioles-game-suspended-due-to-an-exception-in-mlb-rule-book/2386349/

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

According to this, there is a rare but longstanding rule that games past 5 innings that are stopped for mechanical issues will be suspended. That was the O's-Nats game. 

There is a new rule that games stopped before five innings will be suspended and played from where they left off instead of replayed. I believe that's what happened with Rays-Jays. https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/nbcsports/nationals-orioles-game-suspended-due-to-an-exception-in-mlb-rule-book/2386349/

Yes but why did we play a 9 inning game Friday night after the suspended game resumption, while Toronto & Tampa played a 7 inning game today after their suspended game resumption?

We play Toronto next, it would be nice if they had to use a couple more innings of relief.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

 

According to this, there is a rare but longstanding rule that games past 5 innings that are stopped for mechanical issues will be suspended. That was the Orioles-Nationals game. 

There is a new rule that games stopped before 5 innings will be suspended and played from where they left off instead of replayed. I believe that that's what happened with the Rays-Blue Jays. 

 

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/nbcsports/nationals-orioles-game-suspended-due-to-an-exception-in-mlb-rule-book/2386349/

 

 

 

47 minutes ago, SteveA said:

 

Yes, but why did we play a 9-inning game on Friday night after the suspended game resumption, while Toronto & Tampa played a 7-inning game today after their suspended game resumption ???

Since we play Toronto next, it would be nice if they had to use a couple more innings of relief.

 

o

 

I think that you were correct in pointing out (in your previous post) that the only practical difference between the 2 situations that you could see is that the Orioles/Nationals suspended game had already completed 5 or more innings, while the Blue Jays/D-Rays suspended game had completed less than 5 innings.

That said, I don't know if there was a new rule that was put on the books that addresses such a difference in this very unique season ...... there may be such a rule that was enacted in which they foresaw this before it happened, or (like you also suggested) they may simply be making things up as they go along.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WillyM said:

When the Orioles played the Nats last Sunday and the Nats' ground crew couldn't get the tarp on the field, we were told that, according to the rules, the game wasn't over.  It was suspended, and the rest of the game would have to be played in Baltimore on Friday night, prior to the scheduled game.  Furthermore, we were told that, even though two games were to be completed Friday night, the seven-inning doubleheader rule would not be in effect - both games would have to go the full nine innings.

Last night, the Rays and Blue Jays were unable to finish an official game on Saturday night.  The game was suspended with play in the fourth inning.  They resumed it today and completed nine innings, with the Rays winning in the ninth.

They then played the regularly scheduled game - but that one was played under the seven-inning doubleheader rule.  (Note that the game actually lasted eight innings - the teams were tied at the end of the seventh inning, so they played an eighth inning, starting with a runner on second base.  The Rays won again.)

What provision of the rule says that when the Orioles have to complete a suspended game prior to a regularly scheduled game, the second game must go nine innings, but if other teams have to complete a suspended game prior to a regularly scheduled game, the second game only has to go seven innings?

 

I wondered the same thing! Great minds...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I wondered the same thing.   I think Manfred is making up stuff as he goes along.

Maybe Tampa or Toronto complained about having to play the completion and a 9 inning game on Sunday, and Manfred said, OK, make the 2nd game a 7 inning game.   And maybe the Os or Nats didn't make a similar complaint.

Or maybe because it was a getaway day in Buffalo.

Or maybe because our game had 4 innings left so that meant a total of 13 scheduled innings for us Friday even with the 9 inning 2nd game.   And the Toronto game had almost 6 innings left so that would have been 15 scheduled innings.

I think basically to get the owners to agree to play the season, the union ceded a lot of power to Manfred to schedule/reschedule games to try to get in 60 games per team.   I think he's just doing whatever he feels like.

I’m pretty sure that Manfred isn’t sitting around deciding how many innings the Blue Jays are going to play.    That’s way below his pay grade.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rule 4.12 (8)

If a game is suspended before it becomes an official game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game shall be limited to 7 innings.

 

So, because the Orioles/Nats game was an “official” game prior to being suspended due to  Nats stupidity, the resumption of it does not limit the second game. Because the Hays game was suspended prior to being “official,” it causes the second game of that day it is made up to be shortened.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WillyM said:

When the Orioles played the Nats last Sunday and the Nats' ground crew couldn't get the tarp on the field, we were told that, according to the rules, the game wasn't over.  It was suspended, and the rest of the game would have to be played in Baltimore on Friday night, prior to the scheduled game.  Furthermore, we were told that, even though two games were to be completed Friday night, the seven-inning doubleheader rule would not be in effect - both games would have to go the full nine innings.

Last night, the Rays and Blue Jays were unable to finish an official game on Saturday night.  The game was suspended with play in the fourth inning.  They resumed it today and completed nine innings, with the Rays winning in the ninth.

They then played the regularly scheduled game - but that one was played under the seven-inning doubleheader rule.  (Note that the game actually lasted eight innings - the teams were tied at the end of the seventh inning, so they played an eighth inning, starting with a runner on second base.  The Rays won again.)

What provision of the rule says that when the Orioles have to complete a suspended game prior to a regularly scheduled game, the second game must go nine innings, but if other teams have to complete a suspended game prior to a regularly scheduled game, the second game only has to go seven innings?

 

I think it’s the rule where if you piss of the league the rules might change from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of "what are the rules", I thought that we traded Bleier for a PTBNL because in the middle of the season you can't trade anyone who is not on a 60-man roster.

How were the Rockies able to trade Jesus Tinoco for the Marlins' Chad Smith, a guy in AA and not on a roster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...