wildcard

The O's should go for it

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I  think many fans look too much at history and not enough at what is happening on the field.  O's have  the #3 best  offense in the AL.   We have not seen the real Means and Harvey  yet.    Iglesias is the leader of the infield and the Spanish speaking players.  He is about to return. 

It will be such a boost for the rebuild if things fall their way and they get hot at the right time. 

Sometimes it's hard to know if you're serious, or you're just putting us on.  The idea that the O's offense as currently constructed is the 3rd best in the league is fanciful nonsense.

12 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sometimes it's hard to know if you're serious, or you're just putting us on.  The idea that the O's offense as currently constructed is the 3rd best in the league is fanciful nonsense.

Fifth best according to fangraphs

EDIT: overnight it changed to sixth best

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Some may cool off,  some may improve.   The O's just swapped out Smith for Mountcastle.   Hays probably hits better than he has so far.      There is improvement of individual hitters also.  Overall hitting is contagious.  Put a bunch  of guys together that can hit and they help each other.

We don’t have enough starting pitching....Means doesn’t look like last years version. It would be stupid not to trade Milone if you can get anything decent for him. IMO someone will want/need Cobb if he’s gives no indication of a drop off or injury. If you get an acceptable offer you take it. Eshelman was a 4.6 ERA last year at AAA and 5.8 the year before. He’s not likely to maintain on his current path especially when opposing coaches can stack the lineup when he starts. 

Im fine with you drinking the Orange Koolaid but man your going to a whole new level.

46 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We don’t have enough starting pitching....Means doesn’t look like last years version. It would be stupid not to trade Milone if you can get anything decent for him. IMO someone will want/need Cobb if he’s gives no indication of a drop off or injury. If you get an acceptable offer you take it. Eshelman was a 4.6 ERA last year at AAA and 5.8 the year before. He’s not likely to maintain on his current path especially when opposing coaches can stack the lineup when he starts. 

Im fine with you drinking the Orange Koolaid but man your going to a whole new level.

According to MLBTR these  8 starters have a better chance of being traded than Cobb:

Taijuan Walker

Dylan Bundy

Lance Lynn

Kevin Gausman

Derek Holland

Mike Clevinger

Zach Plesac

Rick Porcello

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/08/top-50-trade-deadline-candidates.html

Milone does not even make the list.   He is even less likely to be traded according to them.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I could have swore that the O's had the 3rd best OPS in the AL 3 hours ago.  Either I misread it or it changed.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

According to MLBTR these  8 starters have a better chance of being traded than Cobb:

Taijuan Walker

Dylan Bundy

Lance Lynn

Kevin Gausman

Derek Holland

Mike Clevinger

Zach Plesac

Rick Porcello

Milone does not even make the list.   He is even less likely to be traded according to them.

That’s because he isn’t good.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yes, sure,  trade Givens.   But even doing that the O's have a decent chance at making the playoffs.

Givens has a 6.75 ERA since August 26th.  I don’t think he has any trade value.  Maybe if he pitches a scoreless inning tomorrow.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Taijuan Walker

Dylan Bundy

Lance Lynn

Kevin Gausman

Derek Holland

Mike Clevinger

Zach Plesac

Rick Porcello

Clevinger has rejoined the Indians rotation and Plesac is in year 2 in the bigs. Either would cost a kings ransom and are the Indians going to trade TOR type guys because they broke COVID-19 protocol and went out to dinner with friends? I just don’t see it happening with Clevinger who isn’t a free agent until 2023 or even less likely.Plesac who is control until 2026.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

I could have swore that the O's had the 3rd best OPS in the AL 3 hours ago.  Either I misread it or it changed.

Do you think that's a fair representation of the talent of the Orioles' offense going forward?  Sorry, don't answer that, it's probably as likely as not that you think they're better than that.

In no way shape or form should the O's be "buying players" this year in the sense of trading away valuable prospects for short term gains.

Now there is some gray area if we can 'buy' a guy whose stock is currently low who might improve in 21-22 or something....that gets a bit more interesting.

Fortunately there is 0 chance Elias will deviate from his clearly stated goal numerous times that we are still in the "building the talent pipeline" phase of the rebuild.   

I understand you want to "win now" sir.  We would all love to win the World Series this year and every year.  But this is a mediocre to poor baseball team right now and to get to where we need to go takes a bit more discipline and a bit less Peter Angelos style "trade away the future for Gerardo Parra or K-Rod" kinda moves that only help in the short-term.   We've seen how that goes and Elias isn't playing that game.

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

But this is a mediocre to poor baseball team right now and to get to where we need to go takes a bit more discipline and a bit less Peter Angelos style "trade away the future for Gerardo Parra or K-Rod" kinda moves that only help in the short-term.   We've seen how that goes and Elias isn't playing that game.

Those are perfect examples of trading for short-term gains that ended up somehow being actually worse than the players they had on hand prior to the trade.

This made me go look up Nick Delmonico, who was traded for Rodriguez.  Fortunately that's been no loss.  He's sub-replacement in almost 600 MLB PAs, but apparently still with the White Sox.