Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MurphDogg

Miguel Castro traded to Mets for LHP Kevin Smith and SS Victor Gonzalez

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have to admit I enjoy going back and reading my rants when someone bumps one.

Pretty hard to be wrong when you default position is against anyone Dan buys during the season.

I think the only one I liked was the Miller move.

The Parra thread, I was in rare form that thread.  I was pretty pissed.

The Miller move was good because Miller was legitimately good and he made a real difference. If you're going to buy, make it count. That's why I'm looking at all these Jays moves right now and like... why? Are any of these guys going to help you in the postseason? Eh. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, survivedc said:

 

One of the most frustrating trades I’ve ever seen. Led to an intense dislike for Parra for the Nats last year.

It's like a GM from the 70's possessed Dan.  Everything about Parra's season pointed to him crashing and burning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, interloper said:

The Miller move was good because Miller was legitimately good and he made a real difference. If you're going to buy, make it count. That's why I'm looking at all these Jays moves right now and like... why? Are any of these guys going to help you in the postseason? Eh. 

I think the Jays think making the post season has some value for their young players.

Notice the Tigers didn't trade Schoop?  They might be going for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have to admit I enjoy going back and reading my rants when someone bumps one.

Pretty hard to be wrong when you default position is against anyone Dan buys during the season.

I think the only one I liked was the Miller move.

The Parra thread, I was in rare form that thread.  I was pretty pissed.

It’s pretty amazing how bad Dan’s trades were here.  Didn’t he trade for Pedro twice?

Where’s our Pedro, Dan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's like a GM from the 70's possessed Dan.  Everything about Parra's season pointed to him crashing and burning.

Dan wanted to make a move and had no ammo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like the PTBNL must be a good one.

Really ....The announcement from Feinsand said a PTBNL or cash. Did you see anything more definitive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I was a little disappointed when I saw the announcement. I feel it was light compared to Givens even though Castro has more control and a 100 MPH heater.

To me Smith looks like a 5th starter type at first glance with perhaps a chance to develop his curve/change.

I wonder if the PTNL could be José Butto their 29th by MLB. 55 FB, 60 CHange, 40 CB, 50 control...only 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Happy about this trade.  Elias has had a good week.

You have to like 9 prospects, 3 of which are top 20 guys. For 5 guys who won't be around for the next batch of The Good Times. 

I just have so much more trust that Elias is making these moves himself and he has good justifications for liking the players coming back because it's based on both scouting AND data. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious about the PTBNL or cash considerations aspect of the deal.  Unless I’m mistaken, in the other trades for PTBNLs, there was no “or cash considerations” aspect of the deal, but in this one there was.  Could this be because the Orioles might not be sure yet what they value more in terms of the player they could get back vs. the cash they could receive and want to have time to think it over?  It’s not like cash isn’t useful to help pay for other aspects of their operation, so let’s not act like it would be a cop out to accept cash over a mediocre prospect.  I’m guessing this is simply about the O’s being given a list of players to choose from as the PTBNL, and they can decide if they prefer one of the players or to get cash instead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Obando said:

I’m curious about the PTBNL or cash considerations aspect of the deal.  Unless I’m mistaken, in the other trades for PTBNLs, there was no “or cash considerations” aspect of the deal, but in this one there was.  Could this be because the Orioles might not be sure yet what they value more in terms of the player they could get back vs. the cash they could receive and want to have time to think it over?  It’s not like cash isn’t useful to help pay for other aspects of their operation, so let’s not act like it would be a cop out to accept cash over a mediocre prospect.  I’m guessing this is simply about the O’s being given a list of players to choose from as the PTBNL, and they can decide if they prefer one of the players or to get cash instead.  

It could be based on how well Castro does .... perhaps 2 or 3 different scenarios. If he sucks they just get some cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The impending raise for Castro had a bit to do with moving him.  I think we took the best offer.  We pretty much had best case scenario happens as far as performance goes for the players we could've traded.  Cobb, Givens, Castro, Milone, and even Iglesias performed as good as anyone could have hoped.  We were able to move three of them.  Now going into 2021 we only have five guys making more than the min and either on a FA deal/in Arb.  Davis, Cobb, Iglesias(if we keep him), Mancini, and Alberto.  Elias has done some serious house cleaning.  

I think we did well on what we had to trade.  We didn't get back a "star", but we didn't exactly trade one.  We got back a bunch of darts to throw at our next competitive window, and hopefully they are at least role players.  We still lack high end SP prospects, and depth at SS/3B.  

2021 is going to be rough  because the SP looks like a mess.  The bullpen has now lost two late inning studs.  Our lineup will be fun to watch, but it's looking like 2022 will be the year we could start to make a move.  A 162 game season without an expanded playoff field is going to be real tough for us in our division.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 2 Anonymous, 150 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...