Sign in to follow this  
Beef Supreme

Thee Miguel Castro Appreciation Thread

I am saddened that I won't get to see Miguel Castro whip BBs while wearing a cartoon Orioles cap. His sweat-drenched, lithe arms could perform miracles. It was fun watching him.

And it's not just because I racked up some cheap roto stats on my waiver claim of him when he was a 20 year old Jay. Here is something controversial: the Orioles "developed" him.

In 2015, the former MiLB starter rookie was plopped the into the closer role in Toronto and quickly delivered four saves. He just as quickly was replaced by fellow 20 year old rookie, Roberto Osuna, as closer after a couple of bad outings. Shortly thereafter, he was shipped off to the Rockies in a trade (with Jeff Hoffman, Jose Reyes and Jesus Tinoco to the Colorado Rockies for LaTroy Hawkins and Troy Tulowitzki.) And there he regressed...

Not surprising to see a pitcher's stats suffer in Denver. But 2016 Castro pitched more innings in the minors than in the majors -- and actually compiled an ERA worse at AAA than his 6.14 for Colorado. 

Our man Dook acquired Castro on April 7, 2017 for Jon Keller as the ptbnl on September 7. Keller as a 24 year old on Aberdeen rocked Harford County with a 0.55 ERA over 16 innings before getting treated poorly in 15 innings in the Carolina League to the tune of a 6.81 ERA and 4 innings in Bowie with a 22.50. Keller never pitched in the Colorado Rockies organization. Give props to Dook when he deserves it. It's only fair; Duquette scored big on the Castro trade.

Some of us believed they could see the talent in Castro. But the results were not so great over the past three seasons. He did tick up last year in K/9 but so did his ERA. But this year, 2020, has been a different story. Small sample size -- sure, sure -- but the walk rate and the strikeout rate are tremendously improved this year. Maybe these improvements are fleeting. But I am going to give credit to the Orioles for developing a reliever with middling stats into a hot commodity at the trade deadline.

My Very Best to Miguel Castro. I wish you great success. Bon Voyage!

• Upvote 1

For about 1 day, with Givens traded and Davis on the IL, I believe Castro was the longest tenured Oriole on the roster. 

Now that he’s gone, I think our longest tenured (by which I mean, had the earliest Orioles debut and hasn’t left the organization) player is probably one of the guys who got a first cup of coffee in ‘17. That includes Santander, Sisco, and Scott from the current active roster.

• Thanks 1

He’s pretty entertaining to watch with that gangly body and stringed out hair.    I’m glad he survived that hold-up at gunpoint last winter in the DR, and wish him well for the Mets.   

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

For about 1 day, with Givens traded and Davis on the IL, I believe Castro was the longest tenured Oriole on the roster. 

Now that he’s gone, I think our longest tenured (by which I mean, had the earliest Orioles debut and hasn’t left the organization) player is probably one of the guys who got a first cup of coffee in ‘17. That includes Santander, Sisco, and Scott from the current active roster.

Out of those three, Santander must have been rostered earliest because the Orioles were mandated by Rule 5 requirements. Then the manipulation began with his injuries.

5 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Out of those three, Santander must have been rostered earliest because the Orioles were mandated by Rule 5 requirements. Then the manipulation began with his injuries.

Yup, of those three, it's Santander. But only by a couple weeks.

20 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

True, but Trey Mancini deserves an honorable mention (debuted 2016).

• Upvote 1

Castro has electric stuff--tons of velocity, tons of late movement.  Until this year, his stuff didn't lead to success due to poor command--too many walks, too many fat pitches.  He started to harness his stuff this year, and if the improved command sticks he is going to have a nice career going forward.  He was a pleasure to watch this year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Castro has electric stuff--tons of velocity, tons of late movement.  Until this year, his stuff didn't lead to success due to poor command--too many walks, too many fat pitches.  He started to harness his stuff this year, and if the improved command sticks he is going to have a nice career going forward.  He was a pleasure to watch this year.

This is why I posited that the Orioles may have -- for once -- developed a pitcher in Miguel Castro. I don't know this for sure, but his 2020 sss shows many rates going in the right direction. Seeing John Means increase his fastball velocity over the past couple of years makes me think the Orioles staff have developed Means as well. (For twice, and hopefully many more to come.) Has the organization turned a corner in being able to effectively develop pitchers?