Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hoosiers

Dylan Bundy - Did Our Saber Guys Fail Us?

Recommended Posts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonyblengino/2020/08/20/the-dylan-bundy-breakthrough-was-totally-foreseeable/#28b9889956db

Not sure if this was posted somewhere else, but somewhat disturbing news if true.  

Article claims we had him using a sub-optimal pitch mix instead of more sliders, fewer FBs.  His BB is down, his K rate is up and his Adjusted Contact Scores are doing very well.

I thought our FO was supposed to do this to other teams, not have it be done to them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know man, throw good pitches more, poor pitches less is pretty next level stuff.

It's been seven starts, he had some good stretches with the O's.  I'm not certain he isn't the same guy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Water under the bridge, different regime. Even if he were better than he was for us, it would still have been a good idea to trade him, the only difference would’ve been the return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Philip said:

Water under the bridge, different regime. Even if he were better than he was for us, it would still have been a good idea to trade him, the only difference would’ve been the return.

I don't understand this post.  What does different regime mean?  He pitched in front of Elias and Mejdal for a year.  

The article says another front office simply changed his pitch mix and he has gone from around ERA+ 99 to 178.

Maybe he is pitching against much weaker lineups, but on the surface - this is embarrassing IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per an article I saw in Fangraphs, the trends in his pitch mix largely  started last year.   They’ve moved a bit further in the same direction this year.   The one exception is he used his slider just a bit less last year than the year before, but this year has reversed that.   

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/you-can-dream-on-dylan-bundy-again/

PS - I think there’s a Bundy thread already in the MLB forum.   I don’t mind discussing this Forbes article here since it’s related to our pitching development program in a backhand way.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I don't understand this post.  What does different regime mean?  He pitched in front of Elias and Mejdal for a year.  

The article says another front office simply changed his pitch mix and he has gone from around ERA+ 99 to 178.

Maybe he is pitching against much weaker lineups, but on the surface - this is embarrassing IMO.

Yes you’re right. I didn’t recall how long he was here. But I do think that regardless, Bundy isn’t any kind of indictment. He worked with the previous regime for his whole career, spent one year, a year of huge change, under the new group, and didn’t show any significant change. I don’t think that’s unusual, or at least not unexpected. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also you have to keep in mind that Elias and Mejdal came in and didn’t have an existing analytics apparatus in place, so they had to essentially build it from scratch, and they probably didn’t have all the data they needed to properly optimize Bundy’s pitch mix until it was too late.  Although to be fair, Bundy was much better in the 2nd half last year, so maybe those were the first signs that he was starting to follow the data and optimize his pitch mix.  I think this is the first year we were going to truly see our data & analytics system make a difference with our pitchers, especially at the major league level,  now that our internal database is fully in place.  Sig’s team was basically building out the data system on the fly last year, and admittedly, they had a lot of catching up to do.  Sure, it looks bad right now that Bundy has gotten off to such a good start, but I don’t think it’s fair to say that the O’s were negligent in how they handled him last year.  As we all know, Bundy has had really good stretches before, only to then struggle, so consistency was really his issue more than anything else.  Clearly the Angels figured out the best way to optimize his pitches and pitch selection, and they deserve credit for that, but I think Bundy was capable of doing the same thing had he still been here this year.  Same goes for Mike Yastrzemski had we given him a chance to play here and not traded him away when we did.  We’ll just never know for sure because we didn’t get a chance to see it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Obando said:

Also you have to keep in mind that Elias and Mejdal came in and didn’t have an existing analytics apparatus in place, so they had to essentially build it from scratch, and they probably didn’t have all the data they needed to properly optimize Bundy’s pitch mix until it was too late.  Although to be fair, Bundy was much better in the 2nd half last year, so maybe those were the first signs that he was starting to follow the data and optimize his pitch mix.  I think this is the first year we were going to truly see our data & analytics system make a difference with our pitchers, especially at the major league level,  now that our internal database is fully in place.  Sig’s team was basically building out the data system on the fly last year, and admittedly, they had a lot of catching up to do.  Sure, it looks bad right now that Bundy has gotten off to such a good start, but I don’t think it’s fair to say that the O’s were negligent in how they handled him last year.  As we all know, Bundy has had really good stretches before, only to then struggle, so consistency was really his issue more than anything else.  Clearly the Angels figured out the best way to optimize his pitches and pitch selection, and they deserve credit for that, but I think Bundy was capable of doing the same thing had he still been here this year.  Same goes for Mike Yastrzemski had we given him a chance to play here and not traded him away when we did.  We’ll just never know for sure because we didn’t get a chance to see it happen.

It's pitch mix.  You don't need a whole system for pitch mix.  The data is out there, even at the fan level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's pitch mix.  You don't need a whole system for pitch mix.  The data is out there, even at the fan level.

Forbes and Fangraphs both have it, so we certainly can assume Sig had it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible that he is pitching better and that is affecting his pitch selection, i.e. if he is ahead in the count more. 

Also it looks like he has steadily reduced his FB%. The trend started on the O's even if he is taking it to a new level. (61% in 2015, down to 50% in 2019, 39% this year).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's definitely pitching better, but I think he has benefited from facing some more forgiving lineups in some bigger ballparks as well. He's still getting a lot of fly ball outs, but Anaheim, Seattle and Oakland are a lot better for a fly ball pitcher than Baltimore, New York and Boston. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While sabermetrics and analytics reign king right now, getting out of Camden Yards and the AL East is a big factor.  However, most importantly, COACHING still reigns supreme.  And let's just say, there is a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon between Doug Brocail and Mickey Callaway as far as pitching coaches go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1: I don't think he was entirely healthy last season, and i think the long off-season benefited him.  2: he's had 10-15 game spurts with this level of performance in the past. 3: he probably benefits from park effects more than most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

He's definitely pitching better, but I think he has benefited from facing some more forgiving lineups in some bigger ballparks as well. He's still getting a lot of fly ball outs, but Anaheim, Seattle and Oakland are a lot better for a fly ball pitcher than Baltimore, New York and Boston. 

I think this has a lot to do with it as well.  Bundy has traditionally pitched well against the AL West teams if you look at his track record, and while there are definitely some good teams in that division, it’s collectively not as tough as facing AL East teams have been over the last 4 years, not to mention the AL West ballparks are generally more pitcher friendly than parks like Camden Yards, Fenway & Yankee Stadium.  Even Toronto tends to be hitter friendly.  Only Tropicana Field can be considered a pitcher friendly park in the AL East, whereas in the AL West, Oakland, Seattle & Anaheim are clear pitcher friendly parks, while Texas & Houston are more borderline, but probably slightly favor the hitters.

So I think the park factors, plus Bundy throwing his mediocre fastball about 10% less this year, have all contributed to why he has been so successful, at least so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Good voice, mediocre announcer. I liked him in the emcee roles, not nearly as much when he was behind a mic while there was a game being played.
    • We’ll see what?  Do you think Elias “punted” on the pick?  Do you think he intentionally drafted someone who sucks? Do you think he’s going to fail?
    • Personally, I liked Hunter and will miss him. I was pretty upset when we lost Jon Miller, but even though Hunter wasn't nearly as good, I enjoyed listening to him. On a side note, I know a number of Yankee fans who couldn't stand him (or Joe Angel) and would trash him to no end, and that would make me laugh... maybe that has something to do with it too, lol.
    • I wonder if they could actually sit Davis down and say, “look. You’re on the team. But you’re not gonna play. We’re going to ignore you in press conferences And if anybody asks we’re going to say that you’re on the team, and that is that. We will use you in an emergency situation and aside from that your spot is just a black hole. Now get out of this office.”
    • Sports Guy’s and Can_of_corn’s comments about how quickly college players can reach the majors reminded my that, when I gathered the data for this thread, I captured when the player had been drafted or signed, whether they came from a 4 year school, Juco or high school, and when they debuted in the majors.   So, I though I’d summarize some of that for discussion.    Of the 42 20+ WAR “horses” between 1990-2019 who were drafted from a 4-year college, here’s how many years it took them to reach the majors: 0 - 1 (Sale) 1 - 6 2 - 21 3 - 7 4 - 5 5+ - 2 (Woody Williams, Dickey) Here’s the 33 high school guys: 1 - 1 (Verlander) 2 - 6 3 - 8 4 - 10 5 - 5 6 -2 7 - 1 (Fassero) Here’s the 21 foreign guys excluding older guys from Cuba or Japan: 3 - 3 4 - 9 5 - 5 6 - 2 7 - 2 There were 8 Juco’s on the list: 0 - 1 (A. Fernandez) 2 - 2 3 - 2 4 - 1 5 - 2 I may have accidentally double counted 2-3 guys, but that’s close enough.
    • I'm going to have to at least wait until they announce the list of non-roster invitees to camp, which should be out pretty soon.
    • I think they will sign someone like Galvis or Villar, but until then, here is my prediction: C Severino 1B Mancini 2B Valaika SS Sanchez 3B Ruiz LF Mountcastle CF Hays RF Santander DH Stewart   Urias Sisco Davis Mullins   Means Cobb Akin Kremer Zimmermann   Fry Scott Tate Harvey Valdez Armstrong Screoler Lopez   Obviously, a very uninspiring team.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...