Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Mountcastle’s speed

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll be shocked if Mountcastle plays an inning at short.  Unless Buck comes back and trades for him.

I think Mountcastle was considered a SS coming out of HS about as much as Reynolds was.  I don't recall ever reading anything that predicted he would stay at short.

Yea RM will never play an inning of short unless we somehow revolutionize the defensive shift 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yardball85 said:

I still don't understand why they didn't call him up 1-2 weeks before so we could have avoided Dwight Smith's last week of badness.

Obviously he was still working on things in Bowie.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with making 100% sure he would miss the super 2 deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been a better runner than expected, for sure.

I am wondering if, in addition to all the newfangled fancy things they're doing with analytics, they're also teaching people to get faster and run better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll be shocked if Mountcastle plays an inning at short.  Unless Buck comes back and trades for him.

I think Mountcastle was considered a SS coming out of HS about as much as Reynolds was.  I don't recall ever reading anything that predicted he would stay at short.

Mountcastle is less a shortstop than Carlos Delgado was a catcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joelala said:

Yea RM will never play an inning of short unless we somehow revolutionize the defensive shift 

I believe he played one at bat of third-ish in a 5 infielder shift. Am I making that up?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I believe he played one at bat of third-ish in a 5 infielder shift. Am I making that up?

Sure did.  Then returned to LF while still wearing his infielders glove!  He’s a mad man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChipTait said:

Sure did.  Then returned to LF while still wearing his infielders glove!  He’s a mad man!

Gold glover

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/nolan-reimold-460099?stats=statcast-r-running-mlb

Reimold.

At 32 he was at 28.1 and 33 he was at 27.9.

That's all the data I could find.

Great find, you're right unless Mountcastle (27.8) has yet to attempt max speed running to 1B yet. Which could be possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Great find, you're right unless Mountcastle (27.8) has yet to attempt max speed running to 1B yet. Which could be possible. 

Even if that's true I think you'd have to assume that 25 year old Reimold would be quicker than 28.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if that's true I think you'd have to assume that 25 year old Reimold would be quicker than 28.1.

While most guys on the top of the speed list are a hair faster in their mid-20s, their top speed doesn't seem to drastically decrease in the early 30s.  Sterling Marte posted the second best average sprint speed of his career at age 31, and he is still able to post >30 fps this year at age 32.

I am increasingly feeling like baseball performance degradation with age has more to do with the grind and the risk of injury, rather than an actual loss of skill.  I suspect that a player like Barry Bonds could still hit Major League pitching at age 56, assuming his vision is still good.  The problem is that he can't do it every day, and he certainly can't do it without risking injury at a much higher rate than a younger person.  I've noticed similar things in in football, watching players like Darryl Green outrunning everyone at age 40.  I think that's why golfers can play into their 40s - aside from being a lower impact sport, you can take weeks off without really hurting your competitive standing, so if you're not feeling great, you take a week off, play a round, hit a few range balls, rehab any nagging injuries, and go back to hitting the ball 400 yards next week.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

While most guys on the top of the speed list are a hair faster in their mid-20s, their top speed doesn't seem to drastically decrease in the early 30s.  Sterling Marte posted the second best average sprint speed of his career at age 31, and he is still able to post >30 fps this year at age 32.

I am increasingly feeling like baseball performance degradation with age has more to do with the grind and the risk of injury, rather than an actual loss of skill.  I suspect that a player like Barry Bonds could still hit Major League pitching at age 56, assuming his vision is still good.  The problem is that he can't do it every day, and he certainly can't do it without risking injury at a much higher rate than a younger person.  I've noticed similar things in in football, watching players like Darryl Green outrunning everyone at age 40.  I think that's why golfers can play into their 40s - aside from being a lower impact sport, you can take weeks off without really hurting your competitive standing, so if you're not feeling great, you take a week off, play a round, hit a few range balls, rehab any nagging injuries, and go back to hitting the ball 400 yards next week.

So if someone literally broke their neck, it might slow them down?  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if someone literally broke their neck, it might slow them down?  😉

Not really that sure if that affected his top speed significantly.  I'd feel differently about a torn ACL or a history of hamstring injuries.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...