Sign in to follow this  
accinfo

Mullins and DJ Stewart

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielder&year=2020&team=&range=year&min=q&pos=of&roles=&viz=show

OF only - the grab last night I guess helped bump Mullins up to 4 OAA on the year, a level only 7 outfielders (mostly full timers) have made it to this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if he topped the list if that got converted to a per-iinning basis.

I have no idea if 250 innings of OF defense at that excellent rate has the same kind of fast signature significance as one batted ball 110 MPH, but I do know Tampa's locked in Kiermaier for a bunch of years to not hit, and they are doing okay.

Early next year, maybe leadoff Stewart going for that 3rd PA by 5th inning, then switch him in, provided Hays is ambulatory.  Whatever role, his skillset does go well with Yusniel, Hays, Santander, Stewart, assuming Mountcastle's embarking on an Eddie-like 1B run tonight.

7 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielder&year=2020&team=&range=year&min=q&pos=of&roles=&viz=show

OF only - the grab last night I guess helped bump Mullins up to 4 OAA on the year, a level only 7 outfielders (mostly full timers) have made it to this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if he topped the list if that got converted to a per-iinning basis.

I have no idea if 250 innings of OF defense at that excellent rate has the same kind of fast signature significance as one batted ball 110 MPH, but I do know Tampa's locked in Kiermaier for a bunch of years to not hit, and they are doing okay.

Early next year, maybe leadoff Stewart going for that 3rd PA by 5th inning, then switch him in, provided Hays is ambulatory.  Whatever role, his skillset does go well with Yusniel, Hays, Santander, Stewart, assuming Mountcastle's embarking on an Eddie-like 1B run tonight.

Kiermaier was a well above-average hitter by CF standards for a few years.  He had a couple down years but he’s hitting well again this year. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's America. We have a Constitutional right to drive up to Starbucks in a monster truck and order up a 128 ounce coffee whenever we want.

Isn’t your pickup supposed to be big enough to have a Starbucks in the back?

Just now, Frobby said:

Isn’t your pickup supposed to be big enough to have a Starbucks in the back?

But if you do that where do you put the hot tub?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if you do that where do you put the hot tub?

LOL, great question.   By the way, go back to my post, I’ve linked a video that explains my comment.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

LOL, great question.   By the way, go back to my post, I’ve linked a video that explains my comment.  

I'm not watching a Larry the Cable Guy video.

Sorry?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not watching a Larry the Cable Guy video.

Sorry?

It’s not a Larry the Cable Guy video, though his image is used.    It’s a parody song by a group called the Capitol Steps.

• Upvote 1

Is a player like DJ more than a platoon player/bat off the bench.  His average is down to .206, his OPS is still .909.  I could see him putting up a .200 average with a ,330 OBP and 40 HR in 80 RBIs in a full season.  With his extreme hot and cold streaks is he someone you want in the lineup every day?

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is a player like DJ more than a platoon player/bat off the bench.  His average is down to .206, his OPS is still .909.  I could see him putting up a .200 average with a ,330 OBP and 40 HR in 80 RBIs in a full season.  With his extreme hot and cold streaks is he someone you want in the lineup every day?

I think it’s too early to characterize Stewart as a streaky player.    First of all, all players are somewhat streaky.   Second, I think it takes a few full seasons to really know if a player is particularly streaky.   

I think Stewart is better than a .200 hitter long term, but not necessarily as high as .250.    I also don’t think he’s a 40 homer guy.    He’s a .245/.345/.440 guy in the longer term, I think.   

On 9/20/2020 at 1:54 PM, Frobby said:

I think it’s too early to characterize Stewart as a streaky player.    First of all, all players are somewhat streaky.   Second, I think it takes a few full seasons to really know if a player is particularly streaky.   

I think Stewart is better than a .200 hitter long term, but not necessarily as high as .250.    I also don’t think he’s a 40 homer guy.    He’s a .245/.345/.440 guy in the longer term, I think.   

I agree, I doubt he is streaky just had one Jack Cust HR streak. Someone please post the latest dropped fly ball from last nights game. I don't believe I have ever seen a ML outfielder who has on multiple occasions closed his glove before the ball made contact thus having the ball boink off the outside of the glove. He has no place on a ML roster. Why would we lose Fulmer who we obviously have interest in to keep Stewart on the 40 man. Seriously this guy couldn't play OF for one of the better city slow pitch softball teams. 

36 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I agree, I doubt he is streaky just had one Jack Cust HR streak. Someone please post the latest dropped fly ball from last nights game. I don't believe I have ever seen a ML outfielder who has on multiple occasions closed his glove before the ball made contact thus having the ball boink off the outside of the glove. He has no place on a ML roster. Why would we lose Fulmer who we obviously have interest in to keep Stewart on the 40 man. Seriously this guy couldn't play OF for one of the better city slow pitch softball teams. 

🙄

50 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

If you think Fulmer has more value to this team than Stewart, then I don't know what to tell you.

It happens all the time that a MLer drops a ball like DJ did last night.  That being said, he’s still a guy you prefer to be a DH while playing the OF at times.

• Confused 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It happens all the time that a MLer drops a ball like DJ did last night.  That being said, he’s still a guy you prefer to be a DH while playing the OF at times.

This.  Sucks that it happened, especially with Akin on the mound, but it happens.  Next year, I could see an alignment of Santander, Hays/Mullins, Mountcastle, with Stewart splitting time between DH and LF, Mancini between 1B and DH, and Mountcastle between LF and 1B.  So I think there are DH at bats available for DJ next year.