Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OrioleDog

Buying a hurt pitcher

Recommended Posts

Impending FA James Paxton had a setback in his flexor strain recovery.  If he has his TJ soon, he could have 18 months of recovery before OD 2022.

A couple 2-year contract comps in this vein.

San Diego signed Garrett Richards for 2019/2020 for 2/15.5 ($7M/$8.5M).  They've gotten 10 starts of a 4.25 ERA, and tested him out as a reliever in the 6th inning against the Dodgers today.

Minnesota signed Michael Pineda for 2018/2019 for 2/10 ($2M/$8M).  They got 26 starts of a 4.00 ERA last year in Year 2.  He got himself suspended, but it didn't stop the Twins from re-booking him for 2020/2021.

2022 Paxton would be another 125 IP candidate with Means, Akin, Kremer, Baumann, Hall, Rodriguez, Smith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The terms would have to be ridiculously good, right?

I wouldn't be squeezing him here - it'd actually be comforting to see a fair wage given to a reasonably likely to be useful 2022 player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think Paxton is over-rated.  

The Os rarely win these kind of highest bidder situations - someone is always willing to put up more $ or take more risk than us.

Paxton could be 33 before he pitches again in the majors.  Doesn't feel like the type of risk the Os should take.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like what HOU did. When they went out and added an arm they bought a horse via trade. The goal is to probably add a FA SP for the 2022 season, then trade for a stud if we’re in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Impending FA James Paxton had a setback in his flexor strain recovery.  If he has his TJ soon, he could have 18 months of recovery before OD 2022.

A couple 2-year contract comps in this vein.

San Diego signed Garrett Richards for 2019/2020 for 2/15.5 ($7M/$8.5M).  They've gotten 10 starts of a 4.25 ERA, and tested him out as a reliever in the 6th inning against the Dodgers today.

Minnesota signed Michael Pineda for 2018/2019 for 2/10 ($2M/$8M).  They got 26 starts of a 4.00 ERA last year in Year 2.  He got himself suspended, but it didn't stop the Twins from re-booking him for 2020/2021.

2022 Paxton would be another 125 IP candidate with Means, Akin, Kremer, Baumann, Hall, Rodriguez, Smith.

I don't like this kind of projection. Especially for a year that may be truncated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like what HOU did. When they went out and added an arm they bought a horse via trade. The goal is to probably add a FA SP for the 2022 season, then trade for a stud if we’re in it. 

Get Staily back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I personally think Paxton is over-rated.  

The Os rarely win these kind of highest bidder situations - someone is always willing to put up more $ or take more risk than us.

Paxton could be 33 before he pitches again in the majors.  Doesn't feel like the type of risk the Os should take.  

I do too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't like this kind of projection. Especially for a year that may be truncated. 

Totally fair observation.  It remains to be seen if the current forced turn off of some of the eggs from the golden goose will induce labor and management to have negotiations that are more productive heading towards 2022.

For Paxton healing specifically, one could argue that a first half strike is 3 more months to heal and then he only has to hold up for 15 starts instead of 30 before October.   This wasn't really about the real world externalities as much as a can to kick about whether Elias, etc. have seen enough progress to invest anything this offseason in 2022's MLB roster.

The 2017 Twins were already an 85-win team before doing this move to support their peak Berrios/Buxton/Sano teams; the 2018 Padres were coming off a streak of 90-loss seasons more like our current state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 175 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Yeah...in the minors. I don’t know anything about the guy, but if his defense is bad, he’s not really a utility guy, because utility guys by definition are glove-good at multiple positions. If he hits really well, he’s a 1B/DH type, and if he doesn’t hit well, he’s nothing. I just checked his stats at BBR and his D at both positions is poor.
    • What constitutes blazing? .400 OBP AND ~.900 OPS each of the last two years is pretty good. 
    • Me either but I voted Rom and Smith.
    • Does anyone know where to get minor league team home and away splits?  A quick perusal of Ashville hitters 2019 splits only reinforced the idea that Vavra 's 2019 numbers were possibly inflated due to a favorable home park.
    • Who are the #17 and #18 Prospects
    • You are right about the hours played each day. It is a big part of the culture on the islands. I have been coaching kids for the last 15 years in Central Florida. Like Drungo said, kids have more options and distractions in the US. It can be tough to get a kid to put the work in away from the field when we only practice two days a week in the younger ages. The higher end travel teams do not practice in the high school years, not at all. They can't because their kids are from all over the state, or even the nation. They show up and play for a week to ten days and go home until the next tournament. Meanwhile, the DR kids are at a Baseball Academy year round for 2-3 years before they sign a contract. It really isn't a level playing field, developmentally. There are a few places where you can go to a high school that is a baseball academy, TNXL is one here in Altamonte Springs, Florida. TNXL is run by the Scorpions organization.  More kids in Florida play baseball than many Northern states, but the burnout rate is high in Florida as well. Year round baseball, or any sport for that matter, is not a good thing long term. Overuse injuries, such as all of the elbow and shoulder issues for pitchers are a direct result of this. College coaches all want to know what other sports a kid plays. The three sport stars are discouraged from playing three sports. Football is still king in Florida. Baseball also does not develop athleticism, although it demands it. So you have to play explosive movement sports, and/or train at a complex to develop the athleticism. That gets expensive, along with everything else you have to do to have a chance. My son worked out at the same place that Ryan Mountcastle and Blake Bortles worked out at. Excellent results.  The gap is closing with the proliferation of indoor facilities. Kids can work on their skills year round now. Seeing more kids from Pennsylvania in recent years who play the game at a very high level. That is a very good thing IMO. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...