Sign in to follow this  
Rene88

Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

44 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He was really good in 2014 down the stretch at 3rd base. Manny was hurt and Davis was suspended. Flaherty came through. 

I went back to look at this because I couldn’t remember much about what happened at 3B once Manny went down.    There were 44 games remaining at that point.   Flaherty started in 23 of them, and played in 39.  But only 7 of Flaherty’s starts came at 3B in that stretch.  He hit .779 OPS in that stretch, certainly very solid.

So if Flaherty only started at 3B in 7 of the 44 games Manny missed, who started the other 37?   Well, Chris Davis started 17 of them, before his suspension.   Jimmy Paredes started 12 of them.   Kelly Johnson started 7.   Alexi Casilla started one.

And if Flash had 23 starts after Manny was hurt, but only 7 came at 3B, where were the other 17?   11 came at SS — people forget (I certainly did) that JJ Hardy missed 13 of the final 46 games with various minor injuries.   Flash also started 4 games at 2B and one at 1B.

So two things really stand out here.   One, Flash really did play all over the place down the stretch, and two, Buck really had his hands full between Manny’s injuries, Davis’ suspension, and Hardy being banged up.    And, of course, Wieters was out that whole time, too.    And yet, the O’s went 28-16 in those final 44 games.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I went back to look at this because I couldn’t remember much about what happened at 3B once Manny went down.    There were 44 games remaining at that point.   Flaherty started in 23 of them, and played in 39.  But only 7 of Flaherty’s starts came at 3B in that stretch.  He hit .779 OPS in that stretch, certainly very solid.

So if Flaherty only started at 3B in 7 of the 44 games Manny missed, who started the other 37?   Well, Chris Davis started 17 of them, before his suspension.   Jimmy Paredes started 12 of them.   Kelly Johnson started 7.   Alexi Casilla started one.

And if Flash had 23 starts after Manny was hurt, but only 7 came at 3B, where were the other 17?   11 came at SS — people forget (I certainly did) that JJ Hardy missed 13 of the final 46 games with various minor injuries.   Flash also started 4 games at 2B and one at 1B.

So two things really stand out here.   One, Flash really did play all over the place down the stretch, and two, Buck really had his hands full between Manny’s injuries, Davis’ suspension, and Hardy being banged up.    And, of course, Wieters was out that whole time, too.    And yet, the O’s went 28-16 in those final 44 games.

Good starting pitching makes up for a lot of deficiencies!!!!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Good starting pitching makes up for a lot of deficiencies !!!

o

Particularly if good starting pitching is complemented by good defense.

Palmer, Cuellar, and McNally (and Palmer, Flanagan, and McGregor later on) had considerable help from their infield defense from the late 60's through the early 80's.

o

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The injuries were rough, bit that is one of my favourite seasons. Always overcoming and moving on.

5 minutes ago, DRJacobs said:

Long time lurker, first time caller, I mean poster...

During Ryan’s tenure, what was the longest stretch of playing time he received? You wonder if our bizarre fascination with C level prospects hurts the development of some players (well, Rule 5 draft in general really). 

Glad to have you posting!

Flaherty was a C level prospect. Yeah, maybe if he played everyday he could have been an fringe average everyday 2B, but was he better than Schoop or should he have been starting on a competitive team? I'd say no. Flaherty's early season success with Atlanta is way to small of a sample to tell us anything, let's wait and see. I mean, he's running a .522 BABIP.

50 minutes ago, DRJacobs said:

Thanks. Are you a scout or former player?

I'd classify what I do more as a prospect analyst than a scout. I watch hundreds of hours of minor league baseball each year. Mostly video, but I'm hoping to increase the portion of live looks this year. I played baseball, but not at a high enough level to really offer any value. 

I trained myself by watching video taken by scouts and evaulators, making my observations and then comparing them to the scouting report that goes with the video. I've done that hundreds of times and have developed a decent eye for things. I'm still learning of course and will always try and improve my process. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'd classify what I do more as a prospect analyst than a scout. I watch hundreds of hours of minor league baseball each year. Mostly video, but I'm hoping to increase the portion of live looks this year. I played baseball, but not at a high enough level to really offer any value. 

I trained myself by watching video taken by scouts and evaulators, making my observations and then comparing them to the scouting report that goes with the video. I've done that hundreds of times and have developed a decent eye for things. I'm still learning of course and will always try and improve my process. 

And he’s a class act. Haven’t met Luke but seems like a very nice guy. Terrific analysis. 

All the best to Flash. When Manny leaves the O's might even overpay Flaherty to come back and play 3B, with Beckham moving to SS.

16 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

And he’s a class act. Haven’t met Luke but seems like a very nice guy. Terrific analysis. 

I have, and he is. You would have your life enhanced if you meet him.

1 minute ago, weams said:

I have, and he is. You would have your life enhanced if you meet him.

I would settle for new socks, but I have very low standards.

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2018 at 1:50 PM, murph said:

Matt Albers is getting two year from the Milwaukee Brewers:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that free agent reliever pitcher Matt Albers has agreed to a two-year deal with the Brewers.

Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet says that the two-year contract, which is pending a physical, will carry a $5 million guarantee.

Albers posted an exceptional 1.62 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, and 63/17 K/BB ratio in 61 Innings Pitched last season out of the Washington  Nationals' bullpen, bouncing back from a miserable 2016 season with the Chicago White Sox. The 35-year-old right-hander will operate somewhere between middle relief and setup duty in Milwaukee.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/181/matt-albers

o

Former Oriole Matt Albers is 2-0 with a 1.17 ERA and 1 Save so far in the still very-young 2018 season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alberma01.shtml

o

• Upvote 1

Mark Reynolds signed a minor league deal with Washington.  If he makes the team, that'll be 3 college teammates from UVA together on the same team.

• Thanks 1

o

Jeremy Robert Hellickson is pitching for the Nationals tonight, against the Mets.

Bryce Harper hit a solo home run off of Jacob deGrom in the top of the 1st inning.

Hellickson is now pitching in the bottom half of the inning.

30506.png&w=350&h=254

o