Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

O’s offense has wasted some pretty good pitching lately

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This is what happens when you aren’t good.

Just have to focus on what’s going well.

This is what happens when an improving, but not good yet team like the O's play playoff teams that are hitting on all cylinders.  The O's need better players.  Hopefully some of them are on the way from the minors.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Ok sorry.  I have watched most of the games the last two weeks and our defense has been very shaky.  Poor throws, bobbled balls that resulted in single outs instead of DPs or no outs instead of one, etc.

And we've lost a ton of close games at a time where the team we are chasing for the last playoff spot has basically been the worst team in baseball and trying to hand us a playoff spot on a platter.  Obviously the bats have been the biggest issue but watching the game and constantly seeing subpar defensive play in close losses has been very frustrating.

Which team was playing like the worst team in baseball?  When this decline (expected by many) started, the Yankees were the last playoff team. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Which team was playing like the worst team in baseball?  When this decline (expected by many) started, the Yankees were the last playoff team. 

Toronto has lost 6 games in 5 days and given up **61** runs in those games.

We've given up 60 runs in our last 16 games, Toronto has given up 61 in 6

I agree seeing bad defense in close games (or any games, really) is frustrating.    But back to the thread title, I think it’s really been the lackluster offense that has cost us over the last 10 days or so, with the exception of just a couple of games.   

Means is pitching like an ace right now and not against a subpar team. Hopefully this is the guy we see next year and healthy. 

The pitching today was too good for us to waste it.   I believe it’s the first time we’ve won a game all year while scoring 3 runs or less.   

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Ok sorry.  I have watched most of the games the last two weeks and our defense has been very shaky.  Poor throws, bobbled balls that resulted in single outs instead of DPs or no outs instead of one, etc.

And we've lost a ton of close games at a time where the team we are chasing for the last playoff spot has basically been the worst team in baseball and trying to hand us a playoff spot on a platter.  Obviously the bats have been the biggest issue but watching the game and constantly seeing subpar defensive play in close losses has been very frustrating.

I felt the pitching had lost some confidence in their defense. 

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree seeing bad defense in close games (or any games, really) is frustrating.    But back to the thread title, I think it’s really been the lackluster offense that has cost us over the last 10 days or so, with the exception of just a couple of games.   

I think I heard Big Ben say that the Os starters had allowed 1 run or less in 10 of the last 17 games.  As you pointed out, there have been other games where they only allowed 2 or 3 runs as well.

It really boils down to one thing, for the most part.  The IF stinks.  The Os  flat out need more IF talent.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think I heard Big Ben say that the Os starters had allowed 1 run or less in 10 of the last 17 games.  As you pointed out, there have been other games where they only allowed 2 or 3 runs as well.

It really boils down to one thing, for the most part.  The IF stinks.  The Os hurt flat out need more IF talent.

Elias has been working pretty hard on that, if you look at all the shortstops he’s drafted, or signed or traded for in the Dominican.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias has been working pretty hard on that, if you look at all the shortstops he’s drafted, or signed or traded for in the Dominican.  

Yep.  It’s definitely a conscious decision to improve on the talent up the middle, as it should be.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It really boils down to one thing, for the most part.  The IF stinks.  The Os  flat out need more IF talent.

This.  The infield is just terrible, aside from Iglesias (who won't be here when we have our next competitive team). And no depth whatsoever in the high minors, aside from Bannon, who might not be better than what they have.