Sign in to follow this  
86this

Orioles have acquired RHP Conner Loeprich

22 hours ago, 86this said:

Do you think this is this still leftover 2019 J2 $?

This line from MLBTR suggests yes, I think:

The other two trades helped build the Pirates’ 2019-2020 international pool money. The Pirates sent left-hander Domingo Robles to the St. Louis Cardinals and right-hander Connor Loeprich to the Baltimore Orioles in separate trades for international pool money.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If you have money left over and no one really left to sign and you obtain an arm you like for asset you won’t use, how can anyone be upset by that?

I don’t care what he said in the past.  Plans change.  Things are presented to you and you decide to pivot off of your original intentions.  

It would be worth getting upset over if he DIDN’T do this.

Exactly. I don't personally understand the fuss, especially when almost all the trades we made this year added to our young international talent.

Before the analytics...23 yrs old, 7 HR in 124 MiL inn, Solid K rate...nice pick up for little cost. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going to go ahead and make a big fuss out of the O's once again trading international slot money.  Didn't Elias specifically say he wasn't going to do that this year?

Nope. It's last year's pool money slots. And Covid. Things change. 

On 9/20/2020 at 4:49 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I have no idea.

It is all just such a convoluted mess.

I'm not actually all that upset about one deal and if Elias did specify last signing period and not this signing period than he didn't even go back on his word.

Just folks have expectations of me when things like this happen.

I still think trading international slots for 20th round college pitchers isn't something I'm in favor of.

There is no 2020 slot money. It's a January deal now, 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Maybe I am feeling shiny new toy syndrome or over-happy we get one last (LOL) Mets deal done before a regime change, but I'm feeling my brakes pumped a little by Smith's fall here. SEC late bloomer that validated his draft year growth his first full pro year, earned an org Pitcher of Year award and some AA success - I'm a bit more excited to see him pitch next year than a few of the guys ahead of him. One other layer of the onion is that Elias trades have more often gone down the platter fork in the road, and Smith is the first time he's closed for one guy with a marketable asset.  Heck, I even have an Easton Lucas candle lit for One Guy trades, though accepting the 30 clubs general consensus Villar was a dicey tender.
    • Any updates on any of this?  Any rumors for 2021 on streaming in-market Orioles games?  With the advent of Peacock and ESPN+ much of the soccer I watch is now only streaming.  Used to be 2, 3, 4 Premier League matches on every Saturday, now most of them are on Peacock while NBCSports shows monster truck replays.  There was Bundelsiga on Fox Sports, now it looks like most of that is ESPN+.  And the lower division matches I like are only on @scOtt's dicey Russian sites.  So I'm doing a Hulu/Peacock/CBS streaming trial this week.  Most of the stuff the kids watch is on Hulu.  Only thing that I don't think I can legally/easily get is the Orioles.  But I have six months to figure that out.  That streaming combination is $60-70 a month cheaper than DirecTV.
    • Looks to me that the plan is to home grow as much as possible and use cheap stop gaps until the prospects are ready. Real long term moves involve either trading young assets or taking on substantial payroll.
    • There are many ways to bring in good cheap talent with higher upside than Alberto or Ruiz  I don’t want a “lazy offseason” by the FO this year.  Start making some real long term moves instead of settling for sucking with guys who aren’t part of the future.
    • That's fine.  Its proven that the organization was a disaster before Elias (its not a lot better now because we are still owned by the same family but they are better nonetheless). But Phillip is using the words "he should have been given a chance".  I see zero evidence that they SHOULD have done anything besides what they actually did.  I also think there needs to be some accountability on the part of Yaz himself.  Maybe the Os wanted him to do things differently but he had plenty of time to show them what he could do and he failed.
  • Popular Contributors