Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
weams

Draft Order 2021

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just explaining the lack of colored text.

 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just explaining the lack of colored text.

Awwhh, gosh, couldn't ya just say "good one". 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved ahead of the Nationals tonight. Now have the seventh pick. If we lose out, we'll move up to at least fifth (and at least fourth as long as neither Kansas City or Detroit sweeps the other in their final series). Could even move up to third as well with two Arizona wins which is very possible with them closing against Texas and Colorado.

Edited by hutchead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe they will screw up and take the ninth ranked guy second overall?

I’m not going to down vote, but like I have said since before the draft, I wasn’t that high on the top end players in this past  draft. If I had the top pick, I would have been deciding over Abel and Hassell.  It had lots of depth without premium top end. 2021 has more top end talent but pretty well guaranteed they are out of the top 3, Tyree Reed is who I would be going after. I would take Tyree Reed 2nd in the 2020 draft. I just would have had too hard of time justifying not taking Tork number 1. If you take him out of last years draft, I would take Abel 1, Tyree 2 and Hassell 3rd but I obviously lean more to high school stars over college standouts. 
2018 I wanted Matt McClain, not sure if he would have signed higher up the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, weams said:

 

2020 draft order "highly likely" to be "heavily influenced" by high-revenue teams who played poorly like the Nats and Red Sox.

Remember the original justification for the draft was competitive balance.  So let's give top five picks to the reigning Champions and a team with $500M in annual revenues and four titles in the last 16 years based on 1/3rd of a season.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does kind of put a special shenanigans spotlight on the next two Orioles-Red Sox games - let's get the popcorn ready.

I hope Dean Kremer doesn't step on a Bizarro nail or anything.  You might be able to get an extra Ramon Urias PA for evaluative purposes if he leads off.   Could it be Chris Davis's knee has made some good progress this week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sevastras said:

I’m not going to down vote, but like I have said since before the draft, I wasn’t that high on the top end players in this past  draft. If I had the top pick, I would have been deciding over Abel and Hassell.  It had lots of depth without premium top end. 2021 has more top end talent but pretty well guaranteed they are out of the top 3, Tyree Reed is who I would be going after. I would take Tyree Reed 2nd in the 2020 draft. I just would have had too hard of time justifying not taking Tork number 1. If you take him out of last years draft, I would take Abel 1, Tyree 2 and Hassell 3rd but I obviously lean more to high school stars over college standouts. 
2018 I wanted Matt McClain, not sure if he would have signed higher up the draft. 

I'd be pretty excited with that pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

http://www.tankathon.com/mlb/remaining_schedule_strength

These stay up to date and I like the SOS tracker.  Was thinking Boston dropped to 4th with the win, but they lost 1 more than Arizona last year and have the tie-breaker. 

It was fun having more to root for this year, but now that we are officially eliminated, guess it's time for this thread. 

Here's to hoping we'll still be pulling for playoff chances next September!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping to lose out with good starts from Kremer and Means and two dingers each from Mountcastle and Hays.  The offense really misses Santander and Iggi.  It sure would be fun to see Diaz in the OF with Mullins and Hays.  

Edited by bobmc
Yusniel en mis suenos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fla_O'sfan said:

Not too sure it matters all that much? This year, the Orioles had the 2nd pick and took a player that they probably could have taken at 8 or 9.

It does matter.  The pick wasn't just about the first rounder.  It was about getting a very good prospect in the first round and then better prospects than we might have otherwise with our fifth and sixth picks.  You have less opportunity to make that kind of move with the 7th or 8th pick than you do with the first or second.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

It does matter.  The pick wasn't just about the first rounder.  It was about getting a very good prospect in the first round and then better prospects than we might have otherwise with our fifth and sixth picks.  You have less opportunity to make that kind of move with the 7th or 8th pick than you do with the first or second.

I just hope it works out better than the last time the O's tried the strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just hope it works out better than the last time the O's tried the strategy.

I don't disagree.  But it was a strategy, not a random poor choice.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...