weams

And So it Ends 9/27/2020 Orioles @ Buffalo

Just now, SteveA said:

Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke will not be back next year.  Two managerial vacancies now.

Kind of insulting that they didn’t wait til Monday.

Very good play by Stewart. If he could do that all the time without balls bouncing off his head or glove, he could be a really valuable guy.

Meanwhile, today it’s all about the pitching.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke will not be back next year.  Two managerial vacancies now.

Red Sox and tigers?

Tigers up 1-0 in the third

Red Sox tied 1-1 in the first

Arizona up 2-0 in the first.

Decent start for draft pick scoreboard watchers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I do think they will be the rotation, as you say.  Matchups, injuries, resting guys, etc..will dictate they do this anyway. What will be interesting to watch is how long it will be those 6 guys doing the rotation.  The health of Hays and Santander, as well as the stamina of Mancini will dictate a lot of that.
    • Yes, the bunting will be a weapon.  But he won’t be getting 100-150 more OPS out of them if he gets 600 at bats.
    • I'm sure that other teams know that Mancini can play first base if he's healthy.
    • However, I think O's management want to see Mancini play a lot of 1B because it makes him more tradable. Getting 6 guys regular playing time in 5 spots in not that hard.   Each guy just gets a day off every 6 games. Plus injuries will cause time off for some players.
    • Do they even have a reporting team down there?    I have the impression that the beat reporters are working remotely and just getting whatever Zoom interviews the Orioles happen to feed them.  
    • I think its mostly blind faith and homerism to be honest.  But yea, I know the advanced stats are not in his favor. lol
    • Per Fangraphs he was 9 for 15 on bunt hit attempts.   He also was successful 4 of 5 times on sac bunts.   Pretty nice ratios in both regards.     In his previous 2 seasons he was 4 for 13 when bunting for a hit, and 4 for 6 on sac bunts.    Looking around the league, I do see some players who bunt pretty often and have success rates over 50%.    César Hernández, 39 bunt hits over the last 5 years (2nd in MLB) at a 57.4% success rate; Rougned Odor, 30 bunt hits (4th) at a 53.6% success rate.   The median success rate for the top 30 in total bunt hits is a bit over 40%. So, do I think Mullins could bunt as often as he did last year and sustain a 60% success rate?    No. But is it a really good weapon in his arsenal?    Yes.   He’s really, really good at it.     Without the bunt attempts I come up with .232/.285/.384 for last year.   But I think the bunts will always boost those numbers a little, though not as much as last year.    The OPS projections I’ve seen on Mullins have him between .637 (PECOTA) and .689 (Steamer).    That’s a reasonable range to guess, and if Mullins falls in there, he’s not a starting OF.    But he’ll get some playing time and we’ll see if he hits better than expected.    
  • Popular Contributors