Sign in to follow this  
SteveA

Playoffs are set

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was never bothered.  Teams cheat, players cheat.  Baseball mostly doesn't care.

Greinke might.  I know the Astros are bracketed for the Dodger Stadium ALDS, and the Dodgers are somewhere in Texas if they advance.  The storylines will be abundant if the Astros go one step closer in LA, and the Dodgers one step closer in Houston.

Bonus question - will any good Astros still be there in two more years?  It's hard to name a team I think will lose more games than them in the next 5 years.  I understand Gurriel grabbing any port in a storm with his warts, but will be curious to see if Brantley or Springer show any inclination to stay.

I guess it is conceivable Framber, Urquidy and Whitley are like Hudson, Mulder, Zito but would first guess Click's main thing the next couple years are the Bregman and Yordan deals to re-seed.  I think everyone else its just moving debt obligations around, and I say that as someone who would LOVE the 2021 Orioles playing their way to make taking some of those on reasonable.

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Greinke might.  I know the Astros are bracketed for the Dodger Stadium ALDS, and the Dodgers are somewhere in Texas if they advance.  The storylines will be abundant if the Astros go one step closer in LA, and the Dodgers one step closer in Houston.

Bonus question - will any good Astros still be there in two more years?  It's hard to name a team I think will lose more games than them in the next 5 years.  I understand Gurriel grabbing any port in a storm with his warts, but will be curious to see if Brantley or Springer show any inclination to stay.

I guess it is conceivable Framber, Urquidy and Whitley are like Hudson, Mulder, Zito but would first guess Click's main thing the next couple years are the Bregman and Yordan deals to re-seed.  I think everyone else its just moving debt obligations around, and I say that as someone who would LOVE the 2021 Orioles playing their way to make taking some of those on reasonable.

Grienke might what?  Be bothered?  Sure.

I hope OFFNY is doing okay this afternoon...long way to 27 outs.

I imagine Buck has been keeping tabs on the White Sox bullpen management these last couple weeks with perhaps a Dare I dream? perspective.

• Thanks 1

I'd been thinking the last hour Dylan Cease is going to have to have his Ubaldo moment (except with "no one" rather than Zach Britton behind him), but I only now saw they burned him for an inning down 5-0 yesterday.

I guess that leaves Jace Fry as the last non-Colome reliever.

Ball now back in the White Sox lineup's court to escalate the drama further.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, OFFNY said:

o

My 1st llpick to represent the American League in the 2020 World Series is the lWhite Sox.

My 2nd lpick to represent the American League in the 2020 World Series is the llAthletics.

o

o

Now, it's the Athletics or bust for me for the next 2 American League playoff series ........

o

On 9/27/2020 at 8:55 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The Brewers and the Astros are the first teams ever with a losing record to qualify for the post-season (they both finished at 29-31.)

The 1973 Mets had the worst record ever for a team to make it to the World Series (82-79 with 1 Rain-out.)

The 2006 Cardinals had the worst record ever for a team to win the World Series (83-78 with 1 Rain-out.

o

o

The Athletics FINALLY won a winner-take-all playoff game.

They had lost 9 CONSECUTIVE winner-take-all-playoff games prior to today.

The last time that they won a winner-take-all playoff game ??? 1973, when they defeated the New York Mets in Game 7 of that season's World Series.

Top 30 Major Series GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

o

On 9/30/2020 at 2:27 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Alex Kirilloff ) became the first MLB player in history to make his career debut by starting in a post-season game.

Kirillof is also only the 3rd player ever to make his MLB career debut in a post-season game ........ the previous 2 players who made their MLB career debuts in the post-season (Mark Kiger for the Athletics in 2006, and Adalberto Mondesi for the Royals in 2015) did not start the game in their debuts (as did Kirilloff.) Of those 2 players, Mondesi still plays for the Royals. Kiger, on the other hand, never played in a regular-season game before or after that debut, making him the only player ever to have played his entire Major League career in the post-season.

SOURCES:  ) ESPN, Minneapolis Star Tribune, USA TODAY

o

o

Tim Anderson ) became the first player in the history of Major League Baseball to collect 3 or more hits in each of his first 3 career post-season games.

Lou Brock ) is the only other player ever besides Anderson to have had 3 or more hits in 3 consecutive post-season games, doing so in the 1968 World Series ........ but it wasn't his first career post-season series (as it was for Anderson.)

SOURCES:  ) ESPN, NBC Chicago

o

• Upvote 1

This Padres team is fun to watch. Tatis and Manny back to back bombs tied up at 6, bottom 6th. 

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This Padres team is fun to watch. Tatis and Manny back to back bombs tied up at 6, bottom 6th. 

Yep, shame they had those pitching injuries late, I had them pegged for a deep run and it's going to be a lot harder now.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, shame they had those pitching injuries late, I had them pegged for a deep run and it's going to be a lot harder now.

Hopefully long term they stay healthy long term. Dodgers could use a rival right now. Dominated that division forever. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Hopefully long term they stay healthy long term. Dodgers could use a rival right now. Dominated that division forever. 

And they annoy the old guard which is a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

James Shields.

What a trade.

White Sox are already loaded with young talent. 

Tatis did just have throwing error. Big play. STL not done. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

White Sox are already loaded with young talent. 

Tatis did just have throwing error. Big play. STL not done. 

I don't count them out in the playoffs until they are dead and buried.