Sign in to follow this  
Philip

Ok, NOW we can blather about the roster: pitching

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been hunting around for a better comp for Nunez, a 1B/DH type who’s offensively similar and has been healthy in the two years prior to arbitration.   I haven’t come up with a really decent comp, but based on some weak data points I now think my $1.5 - 2 mm range was low.   I don’t think Nunez is a more valuable player than Alberto, but the 1B/DH types seem to get paid better.    

Statistically and approach-wise, he reminds me a lot of Maikel Franco.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been hunting around for a better comp for Nunez, a 1B/DH type who’s offensively similar and has been healthy in the two years prior to arbitration.   I haven’t come up with a really decent comp, but based on some weak data points I now think my $1.5 - 2 mm range was low.   I don’t think Nunez is a more valuable player than Alberto, but the 1B/DH types seem to get paid better.    

That is what I said.

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There’s no weakness in any argument there.

If we cut him, team X will pick him up is accurate.  If team X wants him but they know the Os will cut him, why trade for him?  Btw, I’m aware that if someone really wants him, they could try to trade for him to insure that he goes there but again, the market for him will be relatively limited either way.

But if the Os sign him or make their intentions know that they won’t cut him, a trade partner is more likely to emerge, if one exists.

I don’t expect to get a ton for him though.

Well, I guess that’s where we stand at the moment and that’s fine. I’m sure we will see what we will see

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• We should have by 2023 if things go well some combination of  1)Adley  2)Mountcastle  3)Kjerstad  4)Hays 5) Diaz 6)Hall 7)GRod Hopefully one or 2 infielders will be ready by then. That may be a spot where they need to spend.    Means would be an Arb-2 player and Hays Arb-1. All I am saying is we should be in a position to afford to pay Santander arb money in 2023. Whether he will be worth it or the team is ready to contend are the key. 
    • There has never been a decade where pitching roles weren't in flux.
    • Because I won't want to pay him arbitration prices. I'd rather pay the kid they took second overall league minimum. I'm in favor of identifying and locking up key pieces longterm early. I think we are already past that point with Santander.
    • If the Orioles are a contender and Santander is playing well why would you not want to keep him? I know the economics of the sport are a mess right now. That said if by 2023 you can contend and have to fill a hole that was vacated by Santander being gone then you need to fill that void somehow.  If we are in a world where contending teams don’t want to pay productive players arb money then the sport is in a really bad place. The position players on this roster will be one of the cheapest in the sport the next 3-5 years. I hope they spend on at least one legit SP but who knows about that.   The Brewers dealt for Schoop for a reason. He played terrible for them. They moved on. All I am saying is I am dealing from a position where unless I get what I what I don’t have to deal him.  At the end of the day the argument you made makes a ton of sense. I am just saying if I’m dealing him it’s not for lottery picks. I’m not looking for a Schoop type return here. 
    • Salary cap info      https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/late-for-work-1-20-looking-at-the-ravens-2021-salary-cap-situation
    • That might be true at the time, but we don't know the roster composition and whether that's true. Again, if behind Santander you have a black hole in RF, lack of team power, lack of LH hitter, etc., you'd have given away the team's biggest need. 
    • Extending is an option or you could draft Leatherwood to play RT and still gain the additional picks and we currently don’t have a 3rd rounder.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now