Jump to content
Sports Guy

Elias thoughts on 2020 season and beyond

Recommended Posts

Thi is all about the possibility that the 2021 season will be shortened.  The Orioles saved a ton of money on Davis this season.  If they can save a chunk again next year, they will wait to let it play out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems just like the old SG to take a few quotes and then start bashing our FO and ownership for "dumb" things.

IMO, the most telling quote in the link was also the one ME explained.  The revenue situation is uncertain.  ME is quoted as saying, "We can't estimate our revenue, our attendance ....  We can't estimate various things that we look at when we look at a player or roster budget."  In light of such uncertainty, it is quite a leap to say the FO is dumb for not pursuing a particular player - in this case, Stroman.  Most prudent, well-run businesses would operate in such as manner given the uncertainty.

There are multiple ways to save $ with Chris Davis including his negotiating a settlement for possible retirement, a shortened season, etc.  All of these things are more important today than opening up Davis' roster spot.  Let's see what happens.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Seems just like the old SG to take a few quotes and then start bashing our FO and ownership for "dumb" things.

IMO, the most telling quote in the link was also the one ME explained.  The revenue situation is uncertain.  ME is quoted as saying, "We can't estimate our revenue, our attendance ....  We can't estimate various things that we look at when we look at a player or roster budget."  In light of such uncertainty, it is quite a leap to say the FO is dumb for not pursuing a particular player - in this case, Stroman.  Most prudent, well-run businesses would operate in such as manner given the uncertainty.

There are multiple ways to save $ with Chris Davis including his negotiating a settlement for possible retirement, a shortened season, etc.  All of these things are more important today than opening up Davis' roster spot.  Let's see what happens.

 

If you think this is a good ownership group, then I don’t know what to tell you.  
 

And yes, they don’t know the revenue and while it’s a wait and see what Stroman gets, this offseason could also represent an offseason where you can get a player for less than you should, because of the uncertainty from everyone.  I think it’s a poor idea to let opportunities like that pass you by.  It’s a short term issue that you value over the long term good of the team and organization.  That’s poor management. But I don’t think that’s Elias’ fault.  It’s all on ownership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear - this is an "opportunity" that you believe will exist regarding Marcus Stroman and, in advance of this pending situation which exists in your head, you are bashing our ownership group in advance for their non-participation - fully aware of a massive uncertainty in our budget and how major league baseball will be played in 2021.

Under what circumstances in the Marcus Stroman sweepstakes will you consider this fiction in your head to not have been an opportunity?  How many teams would have to be involved in pursuing Stroman?  What sort of contract length and duration would Stroman have to sign before you admit Stroman's signing will not represent any "opportunity"?  

I expect Stroman to be on lists of top 10 2021 free agents and have now already found him on one - as the second most valuable or most sought after starting pitcher after Trevor Bauer.  

I don't have an issue with investing into a future team with a good signing a year or two in advance or actually competing.  Given our financial situation, I don't think this off-season will be one where we attempt such a signing and I seriously doubt the Os will compete will much more currently competitive and well-financed for Marcus Stroman.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, I’m not worried about the ownership going broke because they sign Stroman.  That’s all bs.  You can choose to believe it if you want but it’s bs.

I don’t know what to expect out of his market.  He doesn’t get a lot of Ks, he’s approaching 30 and he didn’t pitch at all this year.  If some team is going to go 5+ years and pay him 22M+ a year, so be it.  I’m not interested in that.  But 4 or less years at 20M or less?  Yes, I think that’s an opportunity that we should jump on.  I think he would be a great staff leader and while we certainly want to see a better IF defense with a GB pitcher, I think overall he’s a guy to get “one year too early”.

And I agree that I doubt they make this type of investment, particularly after these comments but, as I said, I think it’s a terrible decision driven by a poor ownership group.  
 

Not that long ago, the Os carried a 160m payroll.  No one on the team makes any money outside of a few guys and really, in this scenario, I would trade one of them (Cobb) while trying to save as much money as possible on the deal.  (Probably could eat around half his contract and move him). Davis is an obvious sunk cost. Beyond that, most of the team is making nothing.  Even in an unpredictable revenue year (I believe fans will be back but whatever), this organization can afford a payroll of 70ishM or less.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hoosiers said:

To be clear - this is an "opportunity" that you believe will exist regarding Marcus Stroman and, in advance of this pending situation which exists in your head, you are bashing our ownership group in advance for their non-participation - fully aware of a massive uncertainty in our budget and how major league baseball will be played in 2021.

Under what circumstances in the Marcus Stroman sweepstakes will you consider this fiction in your head to not have been an opportunity?  How many teams would have to be involved in pursuing Stroman?  What sort of contract length and duration would Stroman have to sign before you admit Stroman's signing will not represent any "opportunity"?  

I expect Stroman to be on lists of top 10 2021 free agents and have now already found him on one - as the second most valuable or most sought after starting pitcher after Trevor Bauer.  

I don't have an issue with investing into a future team with a good signing a year or two in advance or actually competing.  Given our financial situation, I don't think this off-season will be one where we attempt such a signing and I seriously doubt the Os will compete will much more currently competitive and well-financed for Marcus Stroman.

Stroman, if he is smart, will take a large guaranteed one year deal. Tons of money, and he can start again next year after the new CBA.

I would imagine that will be the mode of operation for most if not all of the high dollar free agents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, I’m not worried about the ownership going broke because they sign Stroman.  That’s all bs.  You can choose to believe it if you want but it’s bs.

I don’t know what to expect out of his market.  He doesn’t get a lot of Ks, he’s approaching 30 and he didn’t pitch at all this year.  If some team is going to go 5+ years and pay him 22M+ a year, so be it.  I’m not interested in that.  But 4 or less years at 20M or less?  Yes, I think that’s an opportunity that we should jump on.  I think he would be a great staff leader and while we certainly want to see a better IF defense with a GB pitcher, I think overall he’s a guy to get “one year too early”.

And I agree that I doubt they make this type of investment, particularly after these comments but, as I said, I think it’s a terrible decision driven by a poor ownership group.  
 

Not that long ago, the Os carried a 160m payroll.  No one on the team makes any money outside of a few guys and really, in this scenario, I would trade one of them (Cobb) while trying to save as much money as possible on the deal.  (Probably could eat around half his contract and move him). Davis is an obvious sunk cost. Beyond that, most of the team is making nothing.  Even in an unpredictable revenue year (I believe fans will be back but whatever), this organization can afford a payroll of 70ishM or less.  

I think given our last two significant forays into the FA starting pitcher market (Ubaldo and Cobb), ownership would be extremely unlikely to spend in the (say) 4/$70 mm range for a starting pitcher who didn’t pitch this year.    And I wouldn’t necessarily blame them, considering that we aren’t likely to contend with or without Stroman next year.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think given our last two significant forays into the FA starting pitcher market (Ubaldo and Cobb), ownership would be extremely unlikely to spend in the (say) 4/$70 mm range for a starting pitcher who didn’t pitch this year.    And I wouldn’t necessarily blame them, considering that we aren’t likely to contend with or without Stroman next year.    

Gallardo cost a pick so I'd include him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, I’m not worried about the ownership going broke because they sign Stroman.  That’s all bs.  You can choose to believe it if you want but it’s bs.

....

Not that long ago, the Os carried a 160m payroll.  

Great strawman. That aside, do you acknowledge that every team operates within the constraints of a budget? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gallardo cost a pick so I'd include him.

I thought of including either Gallardo or Cashner, but felt the financial commitment wasn’t enough to warrant inclusion.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

I thought of including either Gallardo or Cashner, but felt the financial commitment wasn’t enough to warrant inclusion.   

Fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Great strawman. That aside, do you acknowledge that every team operates within the constraints of a budget? 

Of course...I also acknowledge that the Os ownership cares more about lining their pockets than they do the greater good of the franchise.

They can easily carry a payroll way higher than they have right now, even with the uncertainty of what 2021 could bring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think given our last two significant forays into the FA starting pitcher market (Ubaldo and Cobb), ownership would be extremely unlikely to spend in the (say) 4/$70 mm range for a starting pitcher who didn’t pitch this year.    And I wouldn’t necessarily blame them, considering that we aren’t likely to contend with or without Stroman next year.    

Well the second part of your argument is extremely short sighted imo.

The first part makes little sense since Stroman is better than those guys, doesn’t have nearly the risk Ubaldo did and doesn’t have the injury history Cobb had.

BTw, I’m not saying you are wrong with these arguments.  I’m saying they are the exact terrible arguments I expect from our ownership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, the only things I’d like to be able so see Elias do is,

- Spend our entire international allotment. Maybe even snag a “top” player. 
 

-DFA Davis. 
 

Those two things are seemingly out of his control though, which is alarming. I hope not drafting Martin doesn’t come back to bite us. Overall, I think he’s done about as good as we could have hoped. We might all have a more accuarate assessment if we could’ve seen our MILB players have a season this year. 
 

The potential cons so far is that he was forced to “give” away Bundy and Villar, but what did they do for the teams they were traded too, or what would they have done for us?  
 

It will be big to see how he handles the guys eligible for Arb this offseason, the draft, and if we will spend our full int’l allotment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I guess it's at least good that we got to "scout" him a bit on video and through instructional camp. At least we have a sense that he likely didn't really let himself go during all of this down time. So that's good. But is this a type that Elias targeted for a reason, or is it a live arm that Elias took as a way to dump salary? His comments indicate the former, but we really won't know until they get to playing for real in 2021.
    • I honestly feel like even this board, which has a lot of people who know a lot more about baseball than me, falls into the sentimental trap. I think that's part of being a fan, so I kind of support it to be honest. But I think this poster is right to point out that Elias just isn't playing that game. He's not blowing smoke, except for the quality of the guys we got back. Hopefully that's all true.
    • The thing is, we are starting to see signs that they are REALLY concerned, even about "small" amounts of money.   They would have had to pay $500K if they declined Iglesias's option, they got out of it for free this way.   In addition, we heard talk that coaching moves were at least partly due to financial reasons.   And that probably was under a million too. So we are seeing signs that not only are they concerned about money, but there are POSSIBLE indications they are so concerned that "trivial" amounds like half a million might be influencing decisions.   Now that doesn't square with tendering Mancini.   But maybe they felt the PR hit would just be too much if they didn't.   It would get rid of any plausible deniability that money wasn't the #1 factor... for Iglesias they can talk up Stallings and Pinto, for the coaching situation they can claim it is based on what coaches they really wanted.   So we can look at those moves and see indications that saving even small amounts of money has become an overriding priority, but we can't prove it.   Non-tendering a guy coming off 5 months of chemotherapy would be about absolutely nothing but money and would be such a bad look that they couldn't get away with it.
    • I am also betting that Elias was a big fan of not pitching the guys and instead hitting them with guided instruction.
    • Anyone find it's interesting that the Angels never pitched their 2019 draft picks after signing them that year but now have traded away their 5th, 6th, and 8th round selections to the Orioles. I'm guessing Elias was a big fan of their draft.
    • Here's one scouting report of him from BA "89-91 mph fringe-average fastball plays up because of his plus control and advanced command. He also has shown he can throw his average slider and average curveball for strikes as well. He will flip in a below-average change regularly to keep hitters guessing. Stallings doesn’t have enough stuff to miss even SEC bats, but he knows how to pitch in traffic and he is quite steady and reliable—he finished the seventh inning in nine of his 15 starts as of late May."  I did read that he tunnels his pitches well and has a good feel for pitching. Saying that, he sounds like a guy that needs to prove it in pro ball before getting too excited. While I could easily move him into the back end of the list and take off Nevin, for now I'll say he's just off my list.
    • On November 16, 2018, Mike Elias was hired by the Baltimore Orioles as Executive Vice-President and General Manager. After allowing for the previous administration's 2018 player trades and the ensuing player declarations of free agency, Elias inherited a minimum 2019 opening day player payroll (ODP) of about $61 million(M). The O's ODP in 2018 had been $154.5M. Elias's ODP for 2019 was, in fact, just over $82M. Adjusted for a 162 game season, his ODP for 2020 was just under $63M. For those who want to play GM, I am presenting my current projected ODP for the start of the 2021 season. The O's will have pay obligations for all players on the 40 man roster, but I'm dealing only with the "active" roster (I'm assuming a 26 player limit). To be on this list, the player must be under contract or under team control. The players listed on the chart below are my current guesses based on the above requirement and transactions to date. I'll update the chart as the off-season proceeds and/or my magic 8-ball results change (all help appreciated). Salaries are displayed as rounded to the nearest $10k, but the total is accurate to 2 decimal places. Projections for those under contract are from authoritative media sources or the Cots Baseball Prospectus Compensation Website - https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/baltimore-orioles/ Estimated arbitration salaries are the midpoint projections of Matt Swartz at the MLB Trade Rumors site - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/mlb-arbitration-salaries-2019.html The 2021 MLB minimum salary is $570,500.  I provide this information so that we can make accurate and useful comparisons to the opening day payrolls of the Orioles in previous years, other MLB teams and the totals for Major League Baseball. As with virtually all team opening day payroll tabulations on the web, my total payroll figure does not reflect any deductions for deferred salaries or additions for set-asides for deferrals from previous years (as required by Article XVI of the CBA). So, please, let's dispense with the squabbling over the "accounting" for salary deferrals. I have noted the 2021 contract deferrals in the right-most column of the below chart. Status   PLAYER POS   2021 SALARY       DEFERRED                ($ Million)        ($ Million)                 P   Chance Sisco C   $0.59     C   Pedro Severino C   $1.83                     C   Chris Davis 1B/DH   $23.00          $6.00 A   Trey Mancini DH/1B/OF   $4.80                     C   Yolmer Sánchez 2B   $1.00                     P   Ramôn Urias SS   $0.57                     P   Rio Ruiz 3B   $0.59                     P   Austin Hays OF   $0.57     A   Anthony Santander OF                    $2.13     P   Ryan Mountcastle OF/1B                    $0.57     P   Cedric Mullins OF   $0.58                     P   Richie Martin UT   $0.57     C   Pat Valaika UT   $0.88                     C   Alex Cobb SP   $15.00           $4.50 P   John Means SP   $0.80     P   Keegan Akin SP   $0.57     P   Dean Kremer SP   $0.57     P   Bruce Zimmerman SP   $0.57                     C   Shawn Armstrong RP   $0.83     P   Paul Fry RP   $0.70     P   Hunter Harvey RP   $0.58     P   Tanner Scott RP   $0.60     P   Travis Lakins Sr. RP   $0.60     P   Dillon Tate RP   $0.58     P   César Valdez RP   $0.58     P   Isaac Mattson RP   $0.57                         Total     $60.21         $10.50                     A = Arbitration Projection               C = Contract               P =  Pre-Arbitration                                       
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...