Sign in to follow this  
ScGO's

State of the System: Relief Pitching - Grade B

Relief Pitching

Present Situation: The current bullpen provides several interesting and controllable options: Paul Fry, Dillon Tate, Hunter Harvey, Tanner Scott, and Shawn Armstrong could be on the next playoff team.  They could also fold within a season or two.  Evan Phillips and Travis Lakins are interesting options that deserve more of a look as well.  Older veterans Cesar Valdez and Cole Sulser are intriguing for different reasons, but may become expendable due to roster management choices.

Future Outlook: The bullpen could depend on the names mentioned above along with a few added waiver claims over the next couple seasons as the relief corps thins out a bit in the high minors.  Zach Pop was a praised piece of the Machado trade and could be a real option as he is recovered from surgery. Although Cody Sedlock and Gray Fenter are still earning starts in the minors, their stuff may play up as relievers and help them arrive sooner to the show.  Same could be said for some of the young starters mentioned in yesterday’s segment on Starting Pitchers. Kyle Bronovich, acquired in the Dylan Bundy trade, is another interesting name that could rise quickly.

Players of Note: Branden Kline, Christian Alvarado, Cody Carroll, Isaac Matson, Nick Vespi, Zach Muckenhim, Brian Gonzalez, Francisco Jimenez, Steven Klimek, Tim Naughton, Zach Matson, Houston Roth, Shelton Perkins, Connor Gillespie, Kade Strowd, Morgan McSweeny

System Grade: B

2021 will be an interesting year for the relief pitcher depth.  The core at the MLB level has the potential to be lights out if healthy and consistent, but there are no guarantees with this crew due to injury history and/or lack of experience.  We will probably see a few milb starters transitioned into relief roles towards the end of the 2021 season which could help the overall quality of the system’s depth, but we need to play a season before this will materialize.  It’s fair to expect some surprise jumps from some unexpected, less recognized prospects with a full two years of analytics and player development invested into the system.  All the question marks keep the grade at a B, but the potential is there to be an A this time next year.

• Upvote 2

Bullpen was a pleasant surprise this year even with trading away Richard B, Givens, and Castro. 3.90 team ERA and a handful of guys took legit steps forward with the peripherals to back it up. 

2019:  5.79 bullpen ERA 

2018: 4.78 bullpen ERA 

• Upvote 1

C-.

Lots of questions and some potential.  As relievers can tend to be volatile from year to year, I'm not trusting anyone that looked good this year to be able to replicate it in 2021.  None of the guys mentioned are without questions and can be considered totally reliable.  The fact that some of them stepped up and performed admirably this year keeps me from giving a lower grade.  I was really surprised by Dillon Tate.

Hunter Harvey can't be counted on for anything.  And Cody Carroll is not a player of note.  

• Upvote 1

There appears to be enough depth in the system to withstand a few non performance or injury issues and still have a good pen.

Harvey, Scott, Tate, Fry, Lakins, Valdez and Eshelman have all earned chances to be part the pen next year.  Armstrong could be added to that if he accepts a 600 to 800K contract in an arbitration year.  Mattson and Pop could contribute later in the year.   Stewart, Baumann, Lowther and Wells could develop into good additions.

Grade B.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

There appears to be enough depth in the system to withstand a few non performance or injury issues and still have a good pen.

Harvey, Scott, Tate, Fry, Lakins, Valdez and Eshelman have all earned chances to be part the pen next year.  Armstrong could be added to that if he accepts a 600 to 800K contract in an arbitration year.  Mattson and Pop could contribute later in the year.   Stewart, Baumann, Lowther and Wells could develop into good additions.

Grade B.

I think he put up decent numbers this season. But his FIP was 5.76 and he just doesn't get K's.  I feel like Elias would jump on a toolsy waiver claim over keeping Eshelman.  He knows Eshelman is not part of the long term and I think Valdez fills the roll of junkball long relief better than Eshelman.  Valdez may be able to turned into a trade piece next season (if Millone and Bleier can get us a return, Valdez has that potential). Valdez gets more K's, better FIP. No way he's the closer though, right?  I think the O's should go committee next season.

7 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think he put up decent numbers this season. But his FIP was 5.76 and he just doesn't get K's.  I feel like Elias would jump on a toolsy waiver claim over keeping Eshelman.  He knows Eshelman is not part of the long term and I think Valdez fills the roll of junkball long relief better than Eshelman.  Valdez may be able to turned into a trade piece next season (if Millone and Bleier can get us a return, Valdez has that potential). Valdez gets more K's, better FIP. No way he's the closer though, right?  I think the O's should go committee next season.

Eshelman gets a little more respect from Elias because Elias drafted him on the 2nd round when he was with  the Astros.   And so far he is doing ok as a long releaser/spot starter.   That not to say Elias would not take someone better for that spot if he had the chance.

Valdez is a find.  Someone that has developed his off speed stuff in Mexico and made in work in the Majors.  I think Elias gives him a chance to show he can continue to dominant which he did most outings since he has arrived with the O's.   He is cheap and how much does age matter when a pitcher throws that slow.

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

C-.

Lots of questions and some potential.  As relievers can tend to be volatile from year to year, I'm not trusting anyone that looked good this year to be able to replicate it in 2021.  None of the guys mentioned are without questions and can be considered totally reliable.  The fact that some of them stepped up and performed admirably this year keeps me from giving a lower grade.  I was really surprised by Dillon Tate.

Hunter Harvey can't be counted on for anything.  And Cody Carroll is not a player of note.  

Me too. This is how I feel. 

13 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Relief Pitching

Present Situation: The current bullpen provides several interesting and controllable options: Paul Fry, Dillon Tate, Hunter Harvey, Tanner Scott, and Shawn Armstrong could be on the next playoff team.  They could also fold within a season or two.  Evan Phillips and Travis Lakins are interesting options that deserve more of a look as well.  Older veterans Cesar Valdez and Cole Sulser are intriguing for different reasons, but may become expendable due to roster management choices.

Future Outlook: The bullpen could depend on the names mentioned above along with a few added waiver claims over the next couple seasons as the relief corps thins out a bit in the high minors.  Zach Pop was a praised piece of the Machado trade and could be a real option as he is recovered from surgery. Although Cody Sedlock and Gray Fenter are still earning starts in the minors, their stuff may play up as relievers and help them arrive sooner to the show.  Same could be said for some of the young starters mentioned in yesterday’s segment on Starting Pitchers. Kyle Bronovich, acquired in the Dylan Bundy trade, is another interesting name that could rise quickly.

Players of Note: Branden Kline, Christian Alvarado, Cody Carroll, Isaac Matson, Nick Vespi, Zach Muckenhim, Brian Gonzalez, Francisco Jimenez, Steven Klimek, Tim Naughton, Zach Matson, Houston Roth, Shelton Perkins, Connor Gillespie, Kade Strowd, Morgan McSweeny

System Grade: B

2021 will be an interesting year for the relief pitcher depth.  The core at the MLB level has the potential to be lights out if healthy and consistent, but there are no guarantees with this crew due to injury history and/or lack of experience.  We will probably see a few milb starters transitioned into relief roles towards the end of the 2021 season which could help the overall quality of the system’s depth, but we need to play a season before this will materialize.  It’s fair to expect some surprise jumps from some unexpected, less recognized prospects with a full two years of analytics and player development invested into the system.  All the question marks keep the grade at a B, but the potential is there to be an A this time next year.

Phillips is awful. He should have been gone in March, and Hess with him. Sedlock has consistently disappointed.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Phillips is awful. He should have been gone in March, and Hess with him. Sedlock has consistently disappointed.

Hess is awful; no argument there. 

But, look at Phillips FIP and K/9 numbers the past two seasons.  There is more in there and my eyeballs saw it in his nice scoreless innings run this season.  I say he gets one more season.  Will pitch at 26 next season and I saw flashes this year that make me believe he carve out a role at the MLB level. 

Sedlock has been disappointing when you see the 1st round sticker on him, but his numbers have improved greatly since his awful collapse in 2017.  K numbers have steadily risen since, and if converted to Bullpen, he could piece a solid piece.

I feel like it is really tough to evaluate the future of a bullpen just because of the unknowns. Who really knows what flawed starter will be thrown to the bullpen and be a stud....I don’t think anyone saw Zach Britton coming. I guess the good news is that when you have the depth the Os are growing, it gives a decent indication that there can be impact arms in the pen.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

I feel like it is really tough to evaluate the future of a bullpen just because of the unknowns. Who really knows what flawed starter will be thrown to the bullpen and be a stud....I don’t think anyone saw Zach Britton coming. I guess the good news is that when you have the depth the Os are growing, it gives a decent indication that there can be impact arms in the pen.

This is accurate.  I appreciate the work being done in these posts but I think the pitching staff as a whole should have been included instead of breaking it up.

Most very good relievers were once starters who have failed to be able to go through lineups multiple times as they moved up the pro ranks.

We only have a few true relief prospects and that’s probably not much different than most teams.  

• Upvote 1

I feel better about the future of the bullpen than the rotation, but that's mostly because of the depth of guys we have for the rotation...if that makes any sense.

I'm nervous about the top of the rotation options we have since only two in the system seem to be projected to have that upside (Hall, Grayson). If one fails, we may still be okay given the depth and the development of Means, Kremer, etc, but if both fail to live up to expectations and or struggle with injuries (entirely possible), we are lacking at the top of the rotation.

The middle to back of the rotation have plenty of options and if any of the depth struggle as starters, they could settle in as solid relievers (particularly if they have a very good pitch or two, but lack additional options). I think the trickle down from the rotation candidates to the pen helps the outlook of the pen greatly. We already have several interesting pieces in place and the depth of bullpen prospects (as well as rotation prospects) gives plenty of options when they inevitably thin themselves out.