Jump to content
Frobby

Roch on Fall Instructional League

Recommended Posts

The Orioles are getting ready to open their fall instructional league down in Sarasota. The Ed Smith Stadium complex is operating again after being shut down for more than six months.

* * *

A complete roster of participants will be available soon and figures to include the draft selections who were denied a minor league season.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/10/a-few-thoughts-on-fall-instructional-league.html

Talks a bit about who might attend.  Sounds like it’s starting pretty soon.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is sunshine and roses with our new draftees who are playing at the Fall Instructs (per Matt Blood, via Roch).

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/10/draft-selections-impressing-in-fall-instructional-camp.html

“Jordan Westburg has been really impressive. Just size, athleticism, skills, tools and makeup. Looks great. A real exciting guy.

“Hudson Haskin is a really good athlete, moves well. He’s pretty much what we heard about in terms of his scouting report. Just a really good all-around player. Servideo is a really, really nice defender and has got bat-to-ball skills and we’re going to keep working there. And the two high school kids are even better than I expected.

“Coby Mayo, just big, strong, big-time power. He and Adley (Rutschman) can compete every day with exit velocities and power numbers. And Carter Baumler is an advanced high school kid. Really good athlete, delivery, demeanor, and above-average stuff. I saw him the other day for the first time against hitters and it was really exciting.”

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Everything is sunshine and roses with our new draftees who are playing at the Fall Instructs (per Matt Blood, via Roch).

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/10/draft-selections-impressing-in-fall-instructional-camp.html

“Jordan Westburg has been really impressive. Just size, athleticism, skills, tools and makeup. Looks great. A real exciting guy.

“Hudson Haskin is a really good athlete, moves well. He’s pretty much what we heard about in terms of his scouting report. Just a really good all-around player. Servideo is a really, really nice defender and has got bat-to-ball skills and we’re going to keep working there. And the two high school kids are even better than I expected.

“Coby Mayo, just big, strong, big-time power. He and Adley (Rutschman) can compete every day with exit velocities and power numbers. And Carter Baumler is an advanced high school kid. Really good athlete, delivery, demeanor, and above-average stuff. I saw him the other day for the first time against hitters and it was really exciting.”

Well duh...

”This guy is terrible I don’t know why we drafted him.” Said no one ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

Well duh...

”This guy is terrible I don’t know why we drafted him.” Said no one ever.

I’m a little concerned about Westburg hitting MLB pitching. We will see if he can make the adjustment. He can field like Brooks or Cal, but if he can’t hit he’s worthless in today’s game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m a little concerned about Westburg hitting MLB pitching. We will see if he can make the adjustment. He can field like Brooks or Cal, but if he can’t hit he’s worthless in today’s game.

I'm concerned that Kjerstad hasn't done much of anything with the team since he was signed.  When the last time he's seen game action?  May?  It feels like an entirely missed season for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m a little concerned about Westburg hitting MLB pitching. We will see if he can make the adjustment. He can field like Brooks or Cal, but if he can’t hit he’s worthless in today’s game.

He’s got time to learn, but if he’s really glorious with the glove, he’ll have a utility job for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really can't stand these articles.  It's like Spring Training.  Everyone looks good, everyone looks fantastic, everyone's doing well.  Roch could save himself the time and just save these articles with spaces for the players names and swap them out from year to year, we'd never know the difference and get giddy just the same.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm concerned that Kjerstad hasn't done much of anything with the team since he was signed.  When the last time he's seen game action?  May?  It feels like an entirely missed season for him.

You would hope that Elias and Co. had an idea about whatever issues Kjerstad had before they drafted him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really can't stand these articles.  It's like Spring Training.  Everyone looks good, everyone looks fantastic, everyone's doing well.  Roch could save himself the time and just save these articles with spaces for the players names and swap them out from year to year, we'd never know the difference and get giddy just the same.

Couldn’t disagree more.   I agree it’s just enthusiastic fluff, but I’ll take it in this year when there’s been so little information about how our prospects are doing.   I do wonder whether Fangraphs, BA or someone is allowed to attend some of the Fall Instructs and toss us a bone or two of objective opinion.  And hopefully Tony has his ear to the ground and will be able to pass along some tidbits eventually.  But this is all we’re going to get for now, and I’d rather have it than not.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • The problem with baseball is that there is no activity on the bases. Any idiot watching the replay of a home run knows how boring it is. Most of the time you can’t even find the ball in the view screen, you just see a camera panning in an arc across the crowd, A runner stoically trotting around the bases, and a pitcher with an inscrutable look on his face. Then 15 seconds of high-fives,the new batter takes the plate and it repeats. The goal of a baseball game is excitement, and there is none. I mean there’s some, and as old-school as I am, I am excited by every single pitch, but everything organizations due to present the game is stupid. I’ve complained about in-game interviews that take place over the gameplay, on the grounds that the assumption is that talking with some old baseball celebrity is more important than the next pitch. Well if that is true, why bother watching? The announcers are boring, they don’t talk intelligently and they don’t talk well, which are two different things. The field cameras are so badly arranged that you watch a pitch to the plate, then you watch a hit, and then you miss important field activity while the camera angle switches. In one of the final season Tampa games, A runner on third stole home and we didn’t even see the play, Because the camera was on the pitcher.  In the famous final playoff game five of last year’s World Series, where several consecutive errors by the dodger Defense allowed Arozarena to come all the way around and score, we never saw the whole play because the camera angle kept switching. Even the replays never showed a field view so a viewer could the entire play without camera-switching. We need to have much more activity on the bases, but it would be so much more exciting if we could actually SEE everything happening. That’s such a simple problem and it’s so easy to fix, the only reason it isn’t is because there’s no insight, there’s no awareness of what is being presented or how.
    • Very nice write-up, Tony.   I agree Rutschman may not hit for average as much as we like.   At the same time, the power I saw was tremendous.   I saw video of maybe 18 or 20 of his 23 homers, and there wasn’t a wall-scraper in the bunch.   Many were tremendous blasts.   Playing in OPACY, I think he’s a 35+ homer guy in his prime.    Even though the team probably won’t be very good in 2022, just watching Rutschman develop and the impact he has on the team will be reason enough to watch.     
    • Teams have largely stayed away from him.  They talked yesterday that Averett is the most targeted corner in the league and outside of the Colts game, he has played well. (Heading into the Colts game, he had the best passer rating against in the league) However, Humphrey has been beaten on some big plays for sure.  I can’t say that I’m concerned about him but for the money he is making, they need him to make more plays.  That’s really what it boils down to.     Guys are going to have bad games and get lit up.  It happens and to Marlon’s credit, he owns up to it.  But they need him to plays and sometimes, it’s just the simple one.  He loves to go for the punch to knock out the ball but he hasn’t done it once this year but yet he keeps going for it. Teams have scouted him and are protecting the ball better. He sometimes goes for that instead of making the tackle.  That needs to stop.
    • Toney, are you doing this by yourself or did you find somebody to do it with you? It’s a real hard task to do alone, not least because there’s nobody to argue with while preparing the list. Im interested in how Kjesteds illness affects his placement, but even I have confidence in the first 5-6 guys.
    • Yea the offense was actually a lot worse than the defense imo. A real big problem for the Ravens this year has been how bad they are on 3rd down. I would like to know their first and second down stats.  They have dominated second down offensively since Lamar became the full time starter.  It seems like they have a lot longer 3rd downs than in years past and that’s hurting them.
    • Averett held up pretty well Imo, especially the first 2-3 quarters. Bynes is really just a run defender and Cinci didn’t run the ball well until the last 2 TD runs.     Houston was pressuring Burrow a lot and I didn’t really see them completing much on Young.  Tyler Boyd is their slot guy and he did next to nothing yesterday. Essentially the Ravens got beat, defensively, by Chase and Uzomah and as good as Burrow was, he got a lot of yardage simply because of poor tackling by the Ravens, which is a theme for the season.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...