Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Roch on Fall Instructional League

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

The problem is it’s insincere. You’re not getting accurate assessment of these guys you’re getting “an endorsement from the party chairman of his youngest shining star” how can it possibly be meaningful?

How many organization folks are saying anything negative about Sedlock or Grenier, for instance.
I’m not saying that’s wrong, it can’t possibly be any other way, but you’re not going to get anybody within the organization, saying, “we are really worried about this guy’s ability to hit, but we’re gonna keep working with because otherwise he’s going to be a wasted pick.”

It’s possible to translate some of the stuff they say, but it’s a skill to be able to do so.

So with respect, I agree completely with moose.

I disagree.  We have no idea if Mayo will be any good but I trust Blood when he's comparing his raw power to Rutschman.  Baumler is not a project.  Even the stuff on Westburg is useful.  Again, we have no idea if he'll be any good but it's nice to further confirmation that the kid is big and has tools.

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I disagree.  We have no idea if Mayo will be any good but I trust Blood when he's comparing his raw power to Rutschman.  Baumler is not a project.  Even the stuff on Westburg is useful.  Again, we have no idea if he'll be any good but it's nice to further confirmation that the kid is big and has tools.

The point is that they’re not going to say anything bad about the players. They’re not going to say anything negative about the players, they’re not going to identify problems the players have. They’re going to be enthusiastic and positive or silent. That’s not very useful. And the guys writing the article aren’t going to ask any deep questions.

Also, you have to take even the positive comments with a large grain of salt. As I said, that’s the nature of the beast and it can’t be any other way, but it is a fool’s errand to look for meaningful commentary in an article like this.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

The point is that they’re not going to say anything bad about the players. They’re not going to say anything negative about the players, they’re not going to identify problems the players have. They’re going to be enthusiastic and positive or silent. That’s not very useful. And the guys writing the article aren’t going to ask any deep questions.

Also, you have to take even the positive comments with a large grain of salt. As I said, that’s the nature of the beast and it can’t be any other way, but it is a fool’s errand to look for meaningful commentary in an article like this.

I don’t disagree, but I still enjoyed reading it and was happy to have it to read.   I don’t mind a shot of blind optimism in the offseason.  

• Upvote 1

We shall see if these guys hit the ground running next year or if Blood is blowing smoke up our butt.  I assume there is some truth behind the positive comments.  

• Upvote 1

Good for him, I guess.  When a position player starts getting reps at catcher, I actually take that as a negative as they no longer see him as a future regular at 2B or 3B.