Sign in to follow this  
WillyM

The only time it happened

In 1954, the Orioles' Bullet Bob Turley struck out 185 batters to lead the American League in strikeouts.

He struck out even more the next season (210), but he did it for the Yankees, as he was part of the famous 17-player trade between the Orioles and Yankees between the 1954 and 1955 seasons.

No Oriole pitcher has led the league in strikeouts since.

Edited by WillyM
  • Thanks 2

Bedard would have if he hadn't gotten hurt and missed the end of the (2007?) season.

And Dan Straily is going to lead the KBO in strikeouts this year!

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Bedard would have if he hadn't gotten hurt and missed the end of the (2007?) season.

And Dan Straily is going to lead the KBO in strikeouts this year!

Another big time misstep by Elias - dang!

On 10/10/2020 at 9:00 PM, WillyM said:

In 1954, the Orioles' Bullet Bob Turley struck out 185 batters to lead the American League in strikeouts.

He struck out even more the next season (210), but he did it for the Yankees, as he was part of the famous 17-player trade between the Orioles and Yankees between the 1954 and 1955 seasons.

No Oriole pitcher has led the league in strikeouts since.

Guillermo Miranda y Perez!

On 10/24/2020 at 11:31 AM, bobmc said:

Guillermo Miranda y Perez!

You recognize that my username here is based on my boyhood hero.  ☺️

I was 5 years old in 1954 and hadn't chosen a favorite baseball team yet.  Either in 1955 or 1956, Sports Illustrated's baseball issue included color photographs of the uniforms of every major league team.  I decided now was the time to choose a favorite team, and my favorite color was orange, so I chose the Orioles.

Then I decided it was time to choose a favorite player and I chose Willy Miranda because he was on my favorite team and I liked his name.  (Some sources call him Willy and some call him Willie - he probably didn't care, since his given name was Guillermo.)

Don't know who might have been my favorite player if the Turley trade hadn't happened and Miranda had stayed with the Yankees.

Edited by WillyM
  • Upvote 1

On 10/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, WillyM said:

You recognize that my username here is based on my boyhood hero.  ☺️

I was 5 years old in 1954 and hadn't chosen a favorite baseball team yet.  Either in 1955 or 1956, Sports Illustrated's baseball issue included color photographs of the uniforms of every major league team.  I decided now was the time to choose a favorite team, and my favorite color was orange, so I chose the Orioles.

Then I decided it was time to choose a favorite player and I chose Willy Miranda because he was on my favorite team and I liked his name.  (Some sources call him Willy and some call him Willie - he probably didn't care, since his given name was Guillermo.)

Don't know who might have been my favorite player if the Turley trade hadn't happened and Miranda had stayed with the Yankees.

I must have had a baseball card for Sr. Miranda because I remember what I thought was his full name with madre's name attached.  I was a NY Giant fan in 1954 (also orange and black) and one of my heroes, knuckle balling Hoyt Wilhelm, later landed with the Orioles.  When I moved to DC area in '66, an office mate was a huge Oriole fan and I was converted easily to the new orange and black.  Once the Giants moved to SF, I lost interest, even though Mays and McCovey were big in my heart.