Sign in to follow this  
Philip

The Yankees’ Dumpster

So it looks like Happ, Paxton, and possibly Gary Sanchez, won’t be back next year. I don’t remember that Sanchez was a very good catcher, but we don’t have very good catchers either, and he has a far better Pedegree than either of ours has or will have.

Happ is old but good. I always wanted Dan to sign him, but no...

I’m not sure how much we need an over the hill pitcher, but it’s certainly worth investigating.

Paxton is not over the hill but is looking at possible TJ surgery. With that in mind he would be cheap, and again, I don’t know but we might have progressed to the point where we don’t need guys like him, but if he’s healthy, he would be the best we have.

What says the crowd?

38 minutes ago, Philip said:

So it looks like Happ, Paxton, and possibly Gary Sanchez, won’t be back next year. I don’t remember that Sanchez was a very good catcher, but we don’t have very good catchers either, and he has a far better Pedegree than either of ours has or will have.

Happ is old but good. I always wanted Dan to sign him, but no...

I’m not sure how much we need an over the hill pitcher, but it’s certainly worth investigating.

Paxton is not over the hill but is looking at possible TJ surgery. With that in mind he would be cheap, and again, I don’t know but we might have progressed to the point where we don’t need guys like him, but if he’s healthy, he would be the best we have.

What says the crowd?

The Orioles already have two young catchers who hit fine with questionable defense. Both are cheap.  I’d give Sanchez a pass.

14 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

The Orioles already have two young catchers who hit fine with questionable defense. Both are cheap.  I’d give Sanchez a pass.

Me too.    Here’s an interesting article on Sánchez I read today.   Basically he’s got a milder version of Chris Davis’ problems —.strikes out way too much and hits everything into the shift.   Pass.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/gary-sanchez-keeps-getting-worse/

• Upvote 1

I’d pass on all three unless they were minor league deals which they won’t be. I think we see some additions similar to Milone/LeBlanc and that’s gonna be about it. Maybe a trade or two for younger guys but we don’t have much to trade on this team anyways so maybe not even that. 

Well my own feeling is that our pitching is improved enough that we can focus on our own guys, but the idea of adding the big maple for cheap, and watching him come back without any injury problems would be, as they said when they saw John Holmes, “huge.“

Regarding Sanchez, I think minor-league deal is all he’s going to get, And his Pedegree is certainly better than our own guys, and if the cost is the same, worst case scenario, you’re not improving but you’re not regressing either.
But I’m happy to see if we can get somebody better. Just thought I’d ask…

I think our rotation is set. Even after Cobb is traded and Lopez washes out we have Lowther, Wells, and Bauman (if he gets healthy) and who knows who else might be cheap on the waiver wire or Mexican League. Plus Grayson and Hall in 2022 if not before. If we spend it should be on 3B or 2B. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• o   3 years before the Jeffrey Meier incident, Ben McDonald on the mound in yet another controversial home run when the Orioles were [playing the Yankees. During the 1993 pennant race, McDonald was going to-to-toe with the Scott Kamieniecki in a 0-0 pitcher's duel in the bottom of the 8th inning. With Don Mattingly at the plate and the bases empty, a 16 year-old Yankee fan from Connecticut named Tim McKenzie stole a home run in the right-field stands from Mark McLemore. Like Jeffrey Maier 3 years later, McKenzie reached over the railing to snatch the ball away from McLemore. In a post-game interview immediately following the game, Mattingly said that the kid "made a great catch" when he was shown a replay of the theft. Also, Mattingly met and shook hands with the McKenzie in the bowels of Yankee Stadium the next day.     http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1916&dat=19930817&id=AQYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Z3YFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1607,2158095     In the photo, it states:   A GIFT: - Don Mattingly, left, shakes hands with Tim McKenzie at Yankee Stadium on Monday, prior to autographing the baseball that McKenzie is holding. The 16 year-old Durham, CT resident caught the ball over the railing, but Mattingly was given a home run in the Yankees' 1-0 win over the Orioles.   For his efforts, McDonald was credited with a complete-game loss, ceding that lone run in his 8 innings on the mound that afternoon.   o
    • The Orioles won't lose an affiliate. If Frederick or Delmarva was contracted Aberdeen would just be added. They will still have a Low-A, High-A, AA, and AAA teams. Only the New York Penn League was scheduled to go under which means they will just move one franchise to Aberdeen.
    • Came to post this... I started the video at a specific time. Is this even possible? Trying to think of the Physics of it in my head but I don't know.......  
    • Great post Patrick...   but I like this one better, On Sesame Street...  
    • I’m kind of bummed that Mullins didn’t get a nomination.  Third in the AL in outs above average.  
    • was converting/moving/saving files to my computer. Saw old Lightnin', checked Wiki and they specifically called out this song. From 1960 (at age 48.)   Title reminds me of this old Muddy Waters...     I think it was Leadbelly who also mentioned a "Mojo Hand"... Some kind of OLD, like Haitian/Nawlin's Voodoo superstition of carrying a bag of spices/trinkets/lucky charms. Carry that with you (like Austin Powers' "Mojo"...) for good luck.. The bag was called a Mojo Hand. Can't think of the Leadbelly song...       On a tangent today of tangents (of tangents of tangents...) Trying to work my way thru it all to get back to OTHER videos I want to watch. And dinner and sh!t... Got it whittled down to 22 Firefox tabs.....
  • Popular Contributors