Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Who are the #3 and #4 Prospects?

Who are the #3 and #4 Prospects?  

65 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who are the #3 and #4 Prospects?

    • Hall and Mountcastle
    • Hall and Kjerstad
    • Kjerstad and Mountcastle
    • Mountcastle and Hall
    • Mountcastle and Kjerstad

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/13/2020 at 13:00

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, weams said:

I'd have gone Mountcastle, Mountcastle had it been an option.

This is why Tyler Nevin was in the Givens trade, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted 5 minutes ago and already forgot what I voted.

that said, thinking Mountcastle‘a probability is essentially 100% right now as a very nice stick and average LF/1b. He’s valuable and here, so I say he’s 3. Went with Kjerstad at 4 on draft pedigree and some of the gaps in Hall’s game.

Personally, I love Hall on massive upside, but I’m saying he’s 5 here, which is nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philip said:

Happ is a fine choice. If Akin is like Happ, being LF is a big asset, and that’s a serviceable rotation guy for years. 

I'd say that Happ is not a floor for Akin, more like a realistic ceiling. If he improves his command. I agree that would not be a bad outcome at all. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mountcastle and then any of the others is fine with me. There’s a solid group 4-6 that could come in any order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Mountcastle is 100% to be a successful major leaguer for all his years of team control. He's had just over a month of Major League playing time. I agree it's very likely he'll have at least a handful of good to great years for the Orioles, but there's also a chance he has trouble to adjusting back to the league's adjustments, gets injured, gets his lack of patience exploited. I mean, eyeball test here but he was swinging at high fastballs the way Adam Jones used to swing at low and away sliders. Jonesy eventually mostly fixed the problem, but Mountcastle may or may not. He wasn't exactly the most coachable minor leaguer.

I'd say it's probably like 60% he's a 2-3 win player on average while under team control, 20% chance he's better than that and 20% chance he's worse than that

If we assume DL Hall is something like 20% chance to be TOR, 30% chance to be mid rotation, 30% chance to be an excellent reliever and 20% chance to have little to no major league success, I can see gambling on that profile over Mountacastle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I voted 5 minutes ago and already forgot what I voted.

that said, thinking Mountcastle‘a probability is essentially 100% right now as a very nice stick and average LF/1b. He’s valuable and here, so I say he’s 3. Went with Kjerstad at 4 on draft pedigree and some of the gaps in Hall’s game.

Personally, I love Hall on massive upside, but I’m saying he’s 5 here, which is nice.

Nailed it, for once. :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Nailed it, for once. :)

Yeah, I wanted to upvote ya earlier because you nailed my thoughts process pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth, here’s where our top prospects rank on Fangraphs’ The Board:

Rutschman 3

Rodriguez 22

Mountcastle 84

Hall 89

Kjerstad 103

After that they have Henderson, Vavra, Akin, McKenna, Baumann.   Don’t really understand the love for McKenna.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Maybe next year. Finishing on a different team?
    • This! Good on Tony! And not undeserved imo either. He's much better than was expected. Better speed and better routes, and he CAUGHT what he got to..
    • Who says that Yaz didn't click with this regime?   He had stagnated in the upper levels for a few years before the new regime took over.   Almost anyone would have concluded that he wasn't going to amount much at the ML level.   Perhaps whatever the core surgery corrected had been nagging him for years.   I don't know.   I know that statistically, Yaz seemed like a 4th OF was his ceiling.   And he was 27-28.   Stuff happens.  That one is tough to explain.
    • RH relievers that throw 95-99 are not so rare anymore so I would say that Peralta is left unprotected.    He is the type of arm another team might take a flier on though.
    • Bowie  SS Henderson 2B Hall (20-30 starts at SS) A+  SS Westburg 2B Grenier A- SS Servideo 2B Hernaiz. 50/50  
    • o   3 years before the Jeffrey Meier incident, Ben McDonald on the mound in yet another controversial home run when the Orioles were [playing the Yankees. During the 1993 pennant race, McDonald was going to-to-toe with the Scott Kamieniecki in a 0-0 pitcher's duel in the bottom of the 8th inning. With Don Mattingly at the plate and the bases empty, a 16 year-old Yankee fan from Connecticut named Tim McKenzie stole a home run in the right-field stands from Mark McLemore. Like Jeffrey Maier 3 years later, McKenzie reached over the railing to snatch the ball away from McLemore. In a post-game interview immediately following the game, Mattingly said that the kid "made a great catch" when he was shown a replay of the theft. Also, Mattingly met and shook hands with the McKenzie in the bowels of Yankee Stadium the next day.     http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1916&dat=19930817&id=AQYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Z3YFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1607,2158095     In the photo, it states:   A GIFT: - Don Mattingly, left, shakes hands with Tim McKenzie at Yankee Stadium on Monday, prior to autographing the baseball that McKenzie is holding. The 16 year-old Durham, CT resident caught the ball over the railing, but Mattingly was given a home run in the Yankees' 1-0 win over the Orioles.   For his efforts, McDonald was credited with a complete-game loss, ceding that lone run in his 8 innings on the mound that afternoon.   o
    • The Orioles won't lose an affiliate. If Frederick or Delmarva was contracted Aberdeen would just be added. They will still have a Low-A, High-A, AA, and AAA teams. Only the New York Penn League was scheduled to go under which means they will just move one franchise to Aberdeen.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...