Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

On this date in 1969, 1971, 1979 and 1983

1969 - lost the fifth and final game of the World Series to the Mets.

1971 - won a must-win Game 6 against the Pirates.

1979 - lost Game 6 to the Pirates to keep their chances alive.   

1983 - Won the World Series against the Phillies.   

Credit to Roch with the details: https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/10/important-orioles-events-on-this-date.html

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

1971 - won a must-win Game 6 against the Pirates.

o

The beginning of my Orioles/Colts/Bullets fandom, when I was 6 years-old ........  Game Six of the 1971 World Series. My whole family was rooting for the Pirates because they liked Roberto Clemente, so I rooted for the Orioles.)I remember that we won Game 6 when an Orioles runner slid home underneath the Pirates' catcher who had leaped in the air for the throw ........ I later learned that it was Frank Robinson sliding underneath Manny Sanguillen. I remember all of the Orioles hugging each other at home plate immediately afterward. I also later learned that Robinson almost single-handedly won that game for the Orioles in that final inning, hustling from 1st base to 3rd base on a single in which he had no business doing so, and then doing the same thing by scoring on a Sac-Fly on a very shallow fly ball to centerfield ....... Robinson's hustle on both plays was the biggest factor as to why there would be a Game Seven played the next day (the Orioles had been down 3 games to 2 prior to that Game Six.)

O

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

1983 - Won the World Series against the Phillies.   

I was born just a few days after this, meaning that the Orioles have never played a single World Series game in my lifetime. I'd be lying if I said that I am not pretty bitter about this 😤

Wow, 37 years ago.

I can remember where I was like it was yesterday.   The TV lounge of Femoyer Hall, a dorm right across the sidewalk from my dorm, Major Williams.   A friend of mine lived in Femoyer, so I watched it over there with him.   There was no cable in the dorm rooms back then, and TV reception was spotty (NBC & CBS were in Roanoke, about 30 miles away and in a different valley than Blacksburg, and ABC was in Lynchburg, about 50 or 60 miles away.  I can't remember what network the World Series was on, but if it was ABC I would have to have watched in a dorm TV lounge, which had "cable" bringing in the 3 major network channels and PBS and nothing else.   Because ABC from the dorm room was unwatchable.  Even if it wasn't on ABC, watching on a "big" 30" color screen in the TV lounge would have been preferable to my 19" B&W in my dorm room.

Femoyer is not a dorm any more, got converted to an academic offices building years ago.   And it MAY have been town down by now, I know they have demolished a bunch of the older (early 20th century) buildings on the Upper Quad and put in newer buildings.

Afterwards, we didn't have any champagne to celebrate with so we doused ourselves in cheap beer.

The first championship ever for a team I followed, there wouldn't be another until the Ravens beat the Giants in the Super Bowl.   And there wouldn't be another Oriole postseason game until years later.

I remember going out the next week and buying the Sports Illustrated with Rick Dempsey on the cover and titled "The Hero".   I remember Dempsey talking to President Reagan and telling him to "tell those Russians we're having an awful good time here in America playing baseball".   I remember Eddie hitting his name on the scoreboard.   And of course the line drive going into Cal's glove.

Some of those details are more clear to me than any game I've watched in the last few years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Edward_Femoyer

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

Afterwards, we didn't have any champagne to celebrate with so we doused ourselves in cheap beer.

The first championship ever for a team I followed, there wouldn't be another until the Ravens beat the Giants in the Super Bowl.   And there wouldn't be another Oriole postseason game until 2012.

• Upvote 2

In the med to late 60's the road to the world series when through Baltimore. i remember all those moments. I was 11 when we won in 66. it was great to be O's fan and it still is.

16 hours ago, OFFNY said:

[Frank] Robinson almost single-handedly won that game for the Orioles in that final inning, hustling from 1st base to 3rd base on a single in which he had no business doing so, and then doing the same thing by scoring on a Sac-Fly on a very shallow fly ball to centerfield ....... Robinson's hustle on both plays was the biggest factor as to why there would be a Game Seven played the next day (the Orioles had been down 3 games to 2 prior to that Game Six.)

I was never prouder of Frank than on that day.   He was 36 years old and showing some signs of age, but he absolutely would not be denied.  

20 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The beginning of my Orioles/Colts/Bullets fandom, when I was 6 years-old ........  Game Six of the 1971 World Series. My whole family was rooting for the Pirates because they liked Roberto Clemente, so I rooted for the Orioles.)I remember that we won Game 6 when an Orioles runner slid home underneath the Pirates' catcher who had leaped in the air for the throw ........ I later learned that it was Frank Robinson sliding underneath Manny Sanguillen. I remember all of the Orioles hugging each other at home plate immediately afterward. I also later learned that Robinson almost single-handedly won that game for the Orioles in that final inning, hustling from 1st base to 3rd base on a single in which he had no business doing so, and then doing the same thing by scoring on a Sac-Fly on a very shallow fly ball to centerfield ....... Robinson's hustle on both plays was the biggest factor as to why there would be a Game Seven played the next day (the Orioles had been down 3 games to 2 prior to that Game Six.)

O

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was never prouder of Frank than I was on that day. He was 36 years-old and showing some signs of age, but he absolutely would not be denied.  

o

You were at this particular game in Baltimore, in August of 2014 ........  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201408300.shtml

In the bottom of the 7th inning of a tie game, Adam Jones had a sequence that was almost exactly like Robinson's from that 1971 World Series game ...... Jones got on base by being hit by a pitch (Robinson got on base via  a Walk 43 years earlier.) Jones then hustled from 1st base to 3rd base on a single in which he had no business doing so, and then scored on a Sac-Fly on a very shallow fly ball to centerfield. 

I had started a thread about that game that night in regard to the similarities of the 2 situations, and when you got home from OPACY, you chimed in on it ........ that's how I knew that you were at that game.

For some reason, that thread was either deleted or merged with another thread ........

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/143461-Adam-Jones-Hustle-Shades-of-Game-Six-of-1971-World-Series

O

• Like 1