Sign in to follow this  
RZNJ

Outfield depth? We need it.

It seems we have some outfield depth with Mountcastle, Hays, Santander, Mullens, and Stewart.  Yusniel Diaz on the way and Kjerstad just drafted.  I was just thinking though, Hays, Santander, and Diaz all fall into the injury prone category.  Mountcastle has the best track record on durability.  Mullens had hamsting issues a couple of years ago but that was about it for him.  Stewart had multiple issues in 2019 but otherwise he's been pretty good.  Hays played a full season his first full minor league year but seems like he's had issues every year since then.  Santander had injury issues before, during, and after acquiring him.  Diaz hasn't been in the organization very long but there seem to be questions about him as well.  It doesn't feel like we have guys you can count on for a full season.  Just thinking out loud.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

You can only allocate so many slots on the 40 man to outfielders.  Emergency depth should be waiver wire guys.  One good thing about OPACY is you can throw someone like Mancini out there and he won't hurt you too badly if he can hit.

• Upvote 1

It’s true but it is what it is.

Diaz needs to be up quickly imo.  That gives you enough bodies that should be good enough.

Where we lack depth in the OF is at CF.  We really have nothing beyond Hays and Mullins except McKenna and I’m not sure he would be able to have a BA as high as his body weight.  I also don’t feel Mullins is more than the 25th or 26th guy on the roster.

Even Hays is a major question mark.  

• Upvote 1

Well, it’s a good thing that we have six of them, not three, so we can deal with the injuries when they happen.   I agree that nobody’s really proven they can hold up over 162, but you never know.   I remember Adam Jones seemed injury prone his first couple of years, but then he became a guy who could stay on the field despite having a lot of bumps and bruises.   

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, it’s a good thing that we have six of them, not three, so we can deal with the injuries when they happen.   I agree that nobody’s really proven they can hold up over 162, but you never know.   I remember Adam Jones seemed injury prone his first couple of years, but then he became a guy who could stay on the field despite having a lot of bumps and bruises.   

Until guys can play and produce like regulars they really aren’t depth.

Mountcastle and Santander are the only two from this years team. Trey if he can return and be his old self and the Orioles don5 want one of them at 1B.

Right now Hayes and Mullins are AAAA types and Diaz hasn’t been successful in the upperminors with the bat.

Just now, Frobby said:

Flatly disagree.  

Santander 1.7 rWAR, 37 games 

Hays 0.7 rWAR, 33 games

Stewart 0.6 rWAR, 31 games

Mountcastle 0.5 rWAR, 35 games

Mullins 0.4 rWAR, 48 games 

Every single one of them played significantly over replacement value.  The O’s were 5th in the AL in Wins Above Average for the outfield, at +1.1.   These were small sample sizes, and we could see regression in 2021, but given the ages and experience levels of these players, I’d say the more likely scenario is that as a group we see improvement on a performance that already was pretty good.    

I think Mountcastle was at .7 or .8 when he was in the outfield.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He cooled off a lot with the bat in the final two weeks of the season. It kind of went under the radar because his overall numbers were still very good.   .286/.321/.306 over his final 13 games.   Mostly a power outage, nothing that really concerns me.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can only allocate so many slots on the 40 man to outfielders.  Emergency depth should be waiver wire guys.  One good thing about OPACY is you can throw someone like Mancini out there and he won't hurt you too badly if he can hit.

This, I think. On minor league deals to protect the 40-man slots like you mentioned.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He cooled off a lot with the bat in the final two weeks of the season. It kind of went under the radar because his overall numbers were still very good.   .286/.321/.306 over his final 13 games.   Mostly a power outage, nothing that really concerns me.

I think he was also hurt by the move to first, higher standard and I think he played worse there.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't suggesting we need more depth. I guess the title wasn't clear.  We have depth. It's a good thing. We're probably going to need it. 

Just now, RZNJ said:

I wasn't suggesting we need more depth. I guess the title wasn't clear.  We have depth. It's a good thing. We're probably going to need it. 

Never mind then.

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Until guys can play and produce like regulars they really aren’t depth.

Mountcastle and Santander are the only two from this years team. Trey if he can return and be his old self and the Orioles don5 want one of them at 1B.

Right now Hayes and Mullins are AAAA types and Diaz hasn’t been successful in the upperminors with the bat.

Mountcastle and Mancini are not outfielders, unless standing in the outfield with a glove counts.

We have seen the Rays advance because of their phenomenal OF defense, and everyone remembers the Royals in ‘14-‘15, and everyone also remembers Trumbo lumbering around like a lost Panzer. Defense is important.

That said, outfield is the least of our concerns at the moment.

edit: I just checked outs above average and runs prevented at baseball savant, and Mullins was our best outfielder by a very wide margin followed by Santandar and Hays.

Mountcastle and Stewart were at zero each, and Dwight Smith Jr was dreadful, but He Gone.

Edited by Philip

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

i was trying to say 1 of Mountcastle or Mancini likely wind up at first.