Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Who is the #13 and#14 prospects?

Who is the #13 and#14 prospects?  

42 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who is the #13 and#14 prospects?

    • Carter Baumler and Terrin Vavra
    • Hudson Haskin and Terrin Vavra
    • Ryan McKenna and Adam Hall
    • Coby Mayo and Carter Baumler
    • Terrin Vavra and Hudson Haskin


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even though I explained my vote, I would not be shocked if Tony ranked Mayo and Baumler over Haskin.

Me neither. It's very logical, but I'm not sure it's absolute. Would Servideo also be over them for example? Of course, I don't have the bonuses in front of me and he may have gotten less. 

 

[Edit: I see he did get less than both Mayo and Baumler, so that would argue they'll have a greater chance of ending up ahead of him.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hall was ranked 17 last year, behind several players who are still on the board and didn’t play in Bowie this summer.   Based on Tony’s comment in another thread that he wasn’t going to change the order of the incumbent players from last year who didn’t play at the alternate site, I think that rules out the McKenna-Hall choice.   

Haskin was picked ahead of Baumler and Mayo, and received a bigger bonus than either of them.   Accordingly, I see no reason either of them would jump Haskin on the list.   

So, that leaves Vavra-Haskin or Haskin-Vavra.   I’ve seen Vavra ranked as high as 7th in our system (per Fangraphs), so I’ll go Vavra-Haskin.

 

I had Vavra In the previous group because of Tony’ enthusiasm, And his pessimism about Diaz. So I think logically he would be in this group. Baumler is fresh out of high school, and he’s what 4-5 years away? I wouldn’t expect him to be so high.

My first reaction was one of the Vavra pairings.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Philip said:

Has Adam Hall fallen so far? I thought he was basically our next starting SS?

No, he is not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hall was ranked 17 last year, behind several players who are still on the board and didn’t play in Bowie this summer.   Based on Tony’s comment in another thread that he wasn’t going to change the order of the incumbent players from last year who didn’t play at the alternate site, I think that rules out the McKenna-Hall choice.   

Haskin was picked ahead of Baumler and Mayo, and received a bigger bonus than either of them.   Accordingly, I see no reason either of them would jump Haskin on the list.   

So, that leaves Vavra-Haskin or Haskin-Vavra.   I’ve seen Vavra ranked as high as 7th in our system (per Fangraphs), so I’ll go Vavra-Haskin.

 

Haskin is a sabermetric darling. All the data folks love him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even though I explained my vote, I would not be shocked if Tony ranked Mayo and Baumler over Haskin.

On draft day, Tony argued that Mayo and Baumler were "1st round values".   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hall was ranked 17 last year, behind several players who are still on the board and didn’t play in Bowie this summer.   Based on Tony’s comment in another thread that he wasn’t going to change the order of the incumbent players from last year who didn’t play at the alternate site, I think that rules out the McKenna-Hall choice.   

Haskin was picked ahead of Baumler and Mayo, and received a bigger bonus than either of them.   Accordingly, I see no reason either of them would jump Haskin on the list.   

So, that leaves Vavra-Haskin or Haskin-Vavra.   I’ve seen Vavra ranked as high as 7th in our system (per Fangraphs), so I’ll go Vavra-Haskin.

 

IIRC, Mayo and Baumler were thought to be "unsignable" and surely going to college.  The Orioles pulled off a coups by using the savings from the 1.2 slot to draft and sign them.  Therefore, Haskin being drafted before them doesn't really prove that the Orioles necessarily had him rated higher than Mayo or Baumler.  You may be right, but I don't think it is a given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

On draft day, Tony argued that Mayo and Baumler were "1st round values".   

Just to clarify, I said they could have been 1st round values had they completed their senior years. They reportedly have 1st round tools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Number5 said:

IIRC, Mayo and Baumler were thought to be "unsignable" and surely going to college.  The Orioles pulled off a coups by using the savings from the 1.2 slot to draft and sign them.  Therefore, Haskin being drafted before them doesn't really prove that the Orioles necessarily had him rated higher than Mayo or Baumler.  You may be right, but I don't think it is a given.

But I also relied on the fact that they paid Haskin more money than them, not just that he was drafted higher.   But it was reasonably close, so not necessarily definitive.  
 

Haskin $1.91mm 

Mayo $1.75 mm

Baumler $1.5 mm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I agree.  But I think he could be our next 2B man.

I'd like to see the plate discipline improve with his lack of power, but saying that, I think he's a got a chance to stick at 2B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd like to see the plate discipline improve with his lack of power, but saying that, I think he's a got a chance to stick at 2B.

I think I remember reports being that he got a lot stronger this year.  With the ML ball being what it is he might hit for an acceptable about of power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think I remember reports being that he got a lot stronger this year.  With the ML ball being what it is he might hit for an acceptable about of power.

Unless his stroke changed (which it could have), he was not going hit for much power. Who knows nowadays. Everyone seems to hit for power with the major league super balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I think you will be seeing “essential” workers begin to be vaccinated by Feb-March.  December and January will be healthcare workers and the elderly but this makes up probably less than 25 percent of the population. 
    • Umm..yes, you are wrong.  Several teams treat the position as of its a full time position.  That at bat stats is a fact you can’t argue against.  That’s the definition of “full time”.    
    • March should be early enough to book your flight and hotel.
    • I wonder if they would still be on the hook for the entire salary if they waited til after a potential announcement of a shortened season?
    • Nah, I’m not wrong. however, If I may my father’s comment half way through a performance of Mahler 8: ” well, I’ve had about as much of this as I can stand. Let’s go find something interesting to eat.“ And that is what I am going to do… God bless you and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
    • I posted way back at the beginning of the thread that I thought it was possible Nunez had another level of improvement left in him.   If I’m guessing (which is all it is), I think Hays and Santander will be better hitters than Nunez at their respective peaks.    But I don’t know it for sure.   It’s sort of a moot point since we agree Nunez isn’t really competing with those two for at bats.   As to Stewart, I’m guessing he will not turn out to be as good a hitter as Nunez, though I’m not sure about that, either.  
    • o   The St. Louis Cardinals franchise has been around since 1882. That's 139 seasons. In all of that time (1882-present), who holds the all-time Cardinals franchise record for most consecutive strikeouts in a game? Is it Bob Gibson ??? Grover Cleveland Alexander ??? Jesse Haines ??? Dizzy Dean ??? No. While those superstars shined brightly for many years and many games for the Redbirds (especially Gibson and Haines), none of them holds the franchise record (1882-present) for the most consecutive strikeouts in a game. If not one of them, then who ??? Perhaps Bob Forsch, Steve Carlton, Mort Cooper, or John Tudor ??? Nix again. Believe it or not, it is none other than JOHN SMOLTZ. In 2009, in the twilight of his career and well past his prime, future Hall-of-Famer Smoltz struck out 7 consecutive batters on August 23rd against the Padres ........ IN HIS VERY FIRST GAME AS A CARDINAL. And mind you, this WAS NOT vintage John Smoltz. This was a 42 year-old pitcher who was hanging on at the end of his storied career, probably for no other reason than wanting to get every inch of love out of the game that he had been playing for the better part of his life. In fact, previous to the Cardinals signing him as a free agent that August, Smoltz has been absolutely dreadful pitching for the Red Sox (which is why they released him in the first place), going 2-5 with an 8.33 ERA. Smoltz pitched 6 more games for the Cardinals, and retired at the end of the season. Strange, but true.   o
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...