Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

#16 2020 Prospect: Carter Baumler - RHP

Recommended Posts

After watching his videos, I guess I understand what the source who said he's a more athletic Greinke might have meant. Comping him to Grienke is a comp about how he spins the ball and changes speeds. The more athletic part - which I personally laughed at because Grienke is one of if not the best athlete off the mound I've ever seen - likely refers more to Baumler's physicality. This dude is well built already, and I'm guessing (though not sure) that the video is only from after his Junior season of high school.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

After watching his videos, I guess I understand what the source who said he's a more athletic Greinke might have meant. Comping him to Grienke is a comp about how he spins the ball and changes speeds. The more athletic part - which I personally laughed at because Grienke is one of if not the best athlete off the mound I've ever seen - likely refers more to Baumler's physicality. This dude is well built already, and I'm guessing (though not sure) that the video is only from after his Junior season of high school.

You may remember that around the time of the draft I pointed out, in response to the “more athletic Zack Greinke” comment, that Greinke has won five Gold Gloves and is one of the best-hitting pitchers in MLB.  I seriously doubt Baumler is more athletic than Greinke, but I will take the remark as a high compliment about his athleticism.   

The other pitcher who’s supposed to be very athletic is DL Hall.   If so, you have to wonder why he’s having control/command issues.    You’d think that being a good athlete would lead to having good control/command.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You may remember that around the time of the draft I pointed out, in response to the “more athletic Zack Greinke” comment, that Greinke has won five Gold Gloves and is one of the best-hitting pitchers in MLB.  I seriously doubt Baumler is more athletic than Greinke, but I will take the remark as a high compliment about his athleticism.   

The other pitcher who’s supposed to be very athletic is DL Hall.   If so, you have to wonder why he’s having control/command issues.    You’d think that being a good athlete would lead to having good control/command.   
 

Can Greinke dunk a basketball despite being just 6-2? Was Greinke also going to be able to punt at the D-I level as well as play baseball? I don't know whether one is more athletic than the other, but this kid is a three-sport athlete who choose baseball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Can Greinke dunk a basketball despite being just 6-2? Was Greinke also going to be able to punt at the D-I level as well as play baseball? I don't know whether one is more athletic than the other, but this kid is a three-sport athlete who choose baseball. 

Good to know all that about Baumler.   Greinke was a state-ranked tennis player, excellent golfer and also played basketball and volleyball.    And, he played SS when not pitching.   So, they both have a lot going for them.    Let’s just say that Greinke’s athleticism has translated very well to various skills that help him to be a great all-around baseball player.   I’d love it if Baumler’s athleticism translates in a similar way.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Can Greinke dunk a basketball despite being just 6-2? Was Greinke also going to be able to punt at the D-I level as well as play baseball? I don't know whether one is more athletic than the other, but this kid is a three-sport athlete who choose baseball. 

Tony, I get the argument but...punting?  C'mon.  :) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tony, I get the argument but...punting?  C'mon.  :) 

Well it shows the ability to use the legs! :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm not knocking the kid's athleticism - I trust that it's top notch - but Grienke is exceptional. That's really all I'm saying. It's kind of like saying he hits like Bonds, only with better power. Well, maybe that's extreme, but it illustrates the point I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah, I'm not knocking the kid's athleticism - I trust that it's top notch - but Grienke is exceptional. That's really all I'm saying. It's kind of like saying he hits like Bonds, only with better power. Well, maybe that's extreme, but it illustrates the point I think.

Folks tend to be overly generous with player comps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks tend to be overly generous with player comps.

 

I’m just waiting for them to call a guy a more athletic Bo Jackson.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m just waiting for them to call a guy a more athletic Bo Jackson.  

It could happen, we've already heard Mike Trout but as a SS two years running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, is anyone (besides me) old enough to remember the show The Superstars?    They’d have athletes from different sports engaging in 10 events including one where they had to scale a wall using a rope and then run an obstacle course.   The baseball players usually fared very poorly.   It ran 29 years and only once did a baseball player win (Kelly Gruber, 1991).

Gruber also long-jumped; played guard, forward and center in basketball, and quarterback and defensive back in football.   He was offered a football scholarship at University of Texas but reluctantly opted for baseball.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way off the OP, but who was the best athlete who pitched for the Orioles? Mike Mussina, Ken Dixon, Mike Boddicker and Ben McDonald come to mind for me. Sidney Ponson? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Way off the OP, but who was the best athlete who pitched for the Orioles? Mike Mussina, Ken Dixon, Mike Boddicker and Ben McDonald come to mind for me. Sidney Ponson? 🤣

I’ll start here:

”Jim Palmer was a tremendous athlete in school and earned All-State honors in three different sports (baseball, football and basketball). On the diamond, he was a slugger with a .483 batting average. On the gridiron, he had a four- touchdown reception performance and on the hardwood, he averaged 25 points a game to lead the state of Arizona in scoring his senior year. Although offered a scholarship to UCLA to play basketball, Jim signed with the Baltimore Orioles in 1963 as a free agent.”  

https://premierespeakers.com/jim-palmer/bio

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll start here:

”Jim Palmer was a tremendous athlete in school and earned All-State honors in three different sports (baseball, football and basketball). On the diamond, he was a slugger with a .483 batting average. On the gridiron, he had a four- touchdown reception performance and on the hardwood, he averaged 25 points a game to lead the state of Arizona in scoring his senior year. Although offered a scholarship to UCLA to play basketball, Jim signed with the Baltimore Orioles in 1963 as a free agent.”  

https://premierespeakers.com/jim-palmer/bio

I'll counter with the guy that was drafted by MLB for six consecutive seasons:

Quote

Hendrickson was a three-sport standout in tennis, basketball, and baseball at Mount Vernon High School in the state of Washington. During his sophomore year, he was a member of the state championship baseball team and the runner-up state basketball team. He was a member of the state championship basketball team during his junior year, where he earned recognition as the co-MVP of the tournament for his play. He was also named team captain, team MVP, and named to the All-Area and All-State teams. A tennis state qualifier, Hendrickson was also named to the baseball All-Area team.

As a senior, Hendrickson led the Bulldogs to a second basketball championship. He was team captain, team MVP, All-Area, All-State, and the state basketball tournament MVP. For his performance on the basketball court, he was named the Gatorade State Player of the Year. In addition to his remarkable basketball play, he was able to help his team win the state championship in baseball, while also qualifying for state in tennis. He was named the Skagit Valley Herald Athlete of the Year both his junior and senior years.

 

He also played in the NBA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hendrickson

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Barry Bonds did ok...    
    • If Ayala can improve his shooting that would be awesome.  Today was a good start.  I think Wiggins needs to improve his handles and slashing game to be the scorer that would need.  His catch and shoot game is pure.   Gonna need Marial to improve his offensive game as well.  We already know he will defend the rim (theoretically).  Needs to work on his conditioning.  Ultimately I think our lack of interior presence will be our demise, unless Smith and Scott really ball their face off. We have that Swiss guy Revas as well, I'm not expecting much from him though.  The lack of backcourt depth also might hurt unless Dockery and Smart grow quickly.  Can Ayala be the primary ball handler and distributor?  Maybe. I don't think this team will fall off as badly as most think.  Like you said, Morsell/Ayala/Wiggins will keep us in most games.  If Scott and Hamilton (who was a top 100 recruit going into BC) can step up then I think we could surprise some people.  I see us sneaking into the tournament as a 7-10 seed.  
    • It’s a supply and demand thing.  Whether someone offers X amount of dollars is irrelevant.  The Os And their structure, could use his bat and his production.   Most teams don’t have that combo of at bats and money they can spend on a player with his skill set.     The Os do...and the idea that other teams chose not to do it is irrelevant to his value to this organization.  The idea that they may be looking into Puig (conjecture) and brought on a LH DH type at REINFORCES the idea that this is salary driven, not producing driven imo.     My only argument with this decision is that this isn’t solely or even largely driven by roster management despite what Elias says.  He is lying for management.
    • Your tone of authority when you are clearly in a fog is admirable.  Anyone who thought his arbitration number was a bargain, as you suggest, could have offered a warm body to secure his services before he hit the open market.  What won't make sense is if any team offers him 2M or more now that he's available to any team that wants him.
    • There are three vaccines, possibly four or five, if you trust the Chinese and Russians. Every factory on the world is going to be producing them. We may delay the start of spring training(only three months away) but I don’t think the season will start late. We may have distanced crowds, though.
    • No, it absolutely is the formula and what’s he’s worth.  That’s a fact. However, there are only a few teams that need a DH, so it’s not surprising that the market isn’t there..plus, you have announced that you are cutting him, so why trade for him with so little completion?
    • Nevin may get reps at 3B, LF, and DH.  Shaw fits in well as a 1B, LF, DH option too
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...