Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Perez on the Jan. 2021 international class and other stuff

Koby Perez, from Roch:

“I was just talking to our group about the kids we’re going to sign and being that we jumped in the game late, we think that we got some pretty good players. Maybe two dozen guys,” Perez said.

“It will be a lot smaller than our 2019 class where we signed 40-plus, but we went a little higher end as far as signing bonuses just because in 2019 when we came in, we were only able to focus on late bloomers and anybody who got a little bit better. But here in 2020, it gave us enough time to be able to get a couple of those hopefully impact-type guys.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/10/international-players-getting-noticed-in-fall-instructional-camp.html

Also, lots of talk about the international players who are at Fall Instructional League.   Good article.   

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

One gets the feeling our system is about two or three years away from having five to eight international guys in the top 30 - likely all from the names mentioned by Perez or our bigger $ signings coming up.  Which one will be the first to crack our organizational top 10? 

All this will be a big boost to our system.  This international build-out is taking place at a snail's pace (in terms of getting the prospects through the system), but we can take solace in the fact that the ownership commitment and front office competence internationally is in place and getting to work.

• Upvote 2

I kind of like the fact that the signing date has been pushed back to Jan. 15, maybe permanently.    It’s something interesting to look forward to in the dead of winter now.    One thing that isn’t clear is whether the age cutoff is changing (i.e., the date by which the player must turn 16 in order to be signed).    I’m assuming it hasn’t changed because otherwise this year there would be seven months worth of players that teams would have no money to sign, having already committed their money to the guys turning 16 before J2.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hoosiers said:

One gets the feeling our system is about two or three years away from having five to eight international guys in the top 30 - likely all from the names mentioned by Perez or our bigger $ signings coming up.  Which one will be the first to crack our organizational top 10? 

All this will be a big boost to our system.  This international build-out is taking place at a snail's pace (in terms of getting the prospects through the system), but we can take solace in the fact that the ownership commitment and front office competence internationally is in place and getting to work.

Nice post. I feel like we already have 1-3 of those top 30 guys, but don't know it yet. 5 to 8 is reasonable, and may be on the low end in the future.

I know this is happening at a snail's pace, but it's also what we were told to expect. It's kind of eye opening for me. Fixing a baseball org is like turning a cruise ship. I feel like we're well on the way, to be honest. 

19 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Nice post. I feel like we already have 1-3 of those top 30 guys, but don't know it yet. 5 to 8 is reasonable, and may be on the low end in the future.

Considering that almost 30% of major leaguers are former foreign amateurs, I’d guess 9 in the top 30 is about average for most teams.  

From my very novice understanding of this process, I guess the snails pace piece is building the infrastructure and relationships internationally. One would hope (expect) after a couple years of consistent allocation of resources both fiscally and physically, then the dam would break as far as the rewards.