Sign in to follow this  
hoosiers

LayOffs Around Baseball

There is an excellent article published yesterday in the Athletic about the Chicago Cubs "laying off 100-plus employees".  The article talks about how generous the Cubs ownership was four years ago during their championship run to fly employees and spouses or guests to/from Cleveland to witness their WS history, how the organization ordered 1,908 championship rings and pins for players, coaches, executives, ballpark staff, etc.  

Very recently, the Cubs laid off over 100 employees across pretty much the entire business operation as well as the baseball (scouting, player dev, international ops) operation. 

The article mentions the White Sox, Red Sox, NY Yankees, Cardinals, Phillies, Angels and SF Giants as among the teams that "enacted cost-cutting measures like layoffs, furloughs, salary reductions and buyout packages".

The article says the "Cubs are claiming $140M in revenue losses this year and projecting $120M in lost revenue next year."  

I will say these clubs represent bigger markets and probably had bigger operations headcount and costs heading into the pandemic and, in the absence of local sold out stadiums, may be experiencing bigger losses than the Os.  Teams are hurting financially all over the league.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• It’s not even the ABs, in my mind. If severino holds serve with his bat and shows that he’s cleaned up his defense, someone will be interested at the deadline. There’s pretty much always a playoff contender willing to give value for a quality second catcher it seems. 
    • So...I shouldn’t book a flight and hotel in March then?
    • Looking on Fangraphs, Shaw was not on their list of 37 prospects they rated.    So, I’d guess he would not crack our top 30.    
    • I decided we need a thread for weird, anomalous stats we come across from time to time.   Here’s a few I’ve seen in the last couple of days: - The 2020 Royals finished 26-34 and their bullpen had a 3.84 ERA, but somehow they had a 95% save rate (19/20). - The 2020 White Sox had a .143 BABIP at DH, and the Angels had a .187 BABIP there.    
    • Just to be sure my point isn’t misconstrued, this depends on the needs of a particular team as well as what’s available in the market at a given time.  WAR already accounts for the relative value of offense vs. defense, and how much offense is typically available at a particular position.   So overall a 1.5 WAR DH is just as valuable as a 1.5 WAR multiple position player.   But not for every team and not at all times. Looking around the AL, four teams had a .651 OPS or worse at DH.   You’d think a team like that could use a guy like Nunez.
    • So, does Shaw get a place in our top-30, or do we know yet?
    • DH is NOT a full-time position unless you’ve got Edgar Martinez on the roster. Rotating DH is for roster flexibility, resting a regular, playing a guy on a hot streak, easing back in after an illness, and so on. Devoting a roster spot to one guy who does nothing but hit is a foolish use of a spot, unless he’s a glorious, “proof there is a God” hitter. And Nunez isn’t. I looked up his offensive stats at Baseball savant. Of ten offensive categories, his percentile rank was above average in only two, and one of those just barely(xSLG was %55) his sprint speed was  fairly close at 43%, but in the other 7, he was 35% Or lower. That’s not Edgar territory. By comparison, Nelson Cruz was horrible in sprint speed( no bunt singles for HIM) and K rate, but terrific in every other category... and he’s 40. He IS a, “Proof there is a God” hitter. Man, Cruz is amazing. That was really one we let get away.
  • Popular Contributors