Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Roch: Most unsettled positions going into the off season

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There are many ways to bring in good cheap talent with higher upside than Alberto or Ruiz 

I don’t want a “lazy offseason” by the FO this year.  Start making some real long term moves instead of settling for sucking with guys who aren’t part of the future.

Looks to me that the plan is to home grow as much as possible and use cheap stop gaps until the prospects are ready.

Real long term moves involve either trading young assets or taking on substantial payroll.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Looks to me that the plan is to home grow as much as possible and use cheap stop gaps until the prospects are ready.

Real long term moves involve either trading young assets or taking on substantial payroll.

Either or neither?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But you have to start making some decisions at some point and there are young assets in other organizations that are blocked that we should be able to acquire.  No excuse not to make some moves.  

Not saying they need to spend money but you can get guys who could be long term assets.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But you have to start making some decisions at some point and there are young assets in other organizations that are blocked that we should be able to acquire.  No excuse not to make some moves.  

Not saying they need to spend money but you can get guys who could be long term assets.

I don't think it's that easy to find long term pieces on the cheap and I'm not sure Elias is at a point that he wants to start trading the O's more regarded prospects.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it's that easy to find long term pieces on the cheap and I'm not sure Elias is at a point that he wants to start trading the O's more regarded prospects.

I think it’s pretty easy to identify talent and where guys are blocked.

Its not simple to acquire it but it certainly and can and should be done.

The non-tender deadline is going to be fun. I don’t know where we are in the waiver line, but that will be a fun time as well.

regarding pitching, we should take a flier on Collin McHugh. He was injured this season, but he had signed with the Red Sox for only $800,000 or so, and risking that much isn’t unreasonable at all.

havent checked to see which 3B guys might be available but it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone better than Ruiz.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I think it's a little rich to blame Severino's defense last year on the pitching. He really was lazy at times. I also think that maybe he just had a down year. Sometimes you get into bad habits. My recollection was that he had a positive defensive reputation when we brought him in originally. Hopefully he can re-focus on pitch blocking so he can prevent wild pitches and not allow passed balls. I assume the O's are hoping as much too. With that said, I think the problem with criticism of this move is the assumption that we could get as good, or nearly as good, on the cheap (which this deal is). I'm not convinced that the total value of an available minimum salary catcher would be  comparable. I don't love Severino, but I suspect he'd be orders of magnitude better than a guy like Wynns or Sisco over a large sample size.
    • Yep. In 58 games as DH, he has his highest average (.290) and 15 home runs. While in the field, he had many more games (87, 149, 182) with  lower average and only slight more home runs (20, 26, and 24).
    • What’s this have to do with Severino?
    • Wouldn’t mind him as the short side of a platoon with Ruiz and occasional fill in at 2B if Sánchez or Iglesias need days off. 
    • Even with players you prefer to use ay DH it doesn't always work. Mark Trumbo in his career put up a .862 OPS playing RF, .764 at 1B and only .695 at DH and Trumbo was a player suited ideally to be a DH.  
    • And this is the other thing no one wants to talk about.  Maybe DHing these young kids is a bad way to develop them.  People are like, just DH Hays and Mountcastle, etc...well maybe that doesn’t work well for you them. Frobby pointed this out before but DHing isn’t for everyone and when you have a guy who does well at it, there’s nothing wrong with keeping that guy around, especially if they are really cheap. I, for one, don’t have much interest in seeing most of those guys getting any kind of regular at bats at DH.  Stewart is the exception to that.
    • Ehh, I could see them easing Mancini in some, again just to start.  They may not but wouldn’t surprise me. I would also be fine with DJ being in the minors to start the year but I disagree that the at bats wouldn’t be there for him.  It’s pretty simple to figure that out.  And yes, injuries are all but guaranteed to occur with the players we are talking about.
  • Popular Contributors