Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Legend_Of_Joey

Wilkerson re-signed with Spring Training invite

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Per Roch.

Minor league deal. Super utility candidate.

Would we rather have Wilk over Valaika, Urena, Velazquez, Etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Philip said:

Would we rather have Wilk over Valaika, Urena, Velazquez, Etc?

Velazquez and ect, yes. Urena, probably. Urias, probably. Valaika? Let them sort it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Velazquez and ect, yes. Urena, probably. Urias, probably. Valaika? Let them sort it out. 

Good, I was hoping this deal was in place all along.  He may never be major piece, but I like Stevie.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Velazquez and ect, yes. Urena, probably. Urias, probably. Valaika? Let them sort it out. 

Yes, that’s my feeling as well. I was just wondering if there was a clear favorite among the group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philip said:

Yes, that’s my feeling as well. I was just wondering if there was a clear favorite among the group.

I would have said “Stevie” at the end of Summer Camp. But Valaika put on an impressive power show this season. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't care who wins the battle of the super-utes next spring. Just glad we signed another GOOD candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilkerson is a good depth guy to have in the system because he has a little speed, can play the outfield and second base decently, and fill in for a few innings at 3B or even SS. Plus he helps the AAA team out because he can fill in so many positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony-OH said:

Wilkerson is a good depth guy to have in the system because he has a little speed, can play the outfield and second base decently, and fill in for a few innings at 3B or even SS. Plus he helps the AAA team out because he can fill in so many positions.

He’s okay but I think the days of us needing a super-utility guy who can play both OF and IF are over, with the OF depth that’s graduated to the majors.    I far prefer Valaika given our current configuration.   Of course, if we non-tender Alberto we may find Valaika promoted to starting 2B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s okay but I think the days of us needing a super-utility guy who can play both OF and IF are over, with the OF depth that’s graduated to the majors.    I far prefer Valaika given our current configuration.   Of course, if we non-tender Alberto we may find Valaika promoted to starting 2B.

I prefer Valaika as well. I don't think Wilkerson is a a good major league player, but as I said, he's a decent guy to have in the system.

I think Urius will get first shot to stick as the everyday 2B, but Valaika could be in the running for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilkerson is a platoon player vs righties.  He doesn't  hit lefties well.   2B and 1B are his best  positions though he does not hit well enough to be anything  but a backup at 1B.    Roch mentioned the possibility of an expanded roster in 2021 which is Wilkerson's best chance to stick in the majors.  The outfield is crowded pushing him to the infield.   He has options and is able to move up and down to AAA and the majors.   That is probably his role if roster expansion does not  happen.

Alberto, Valaika, Urias, Wilkerson  and Bannon are all in the 2B mix.   Iglesias with Velazquez being the best backup at SS.  Ruiz and Alberto are the best defensively at 3B and adding Wilkerson does not change that.

How many games will the owners want to play without fans in the stands?  How many will be on the roster? Are  Alberto and Nunez  be offered arbitration?  All that plays into what chance Wilkerson has to make the majors.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I prefer Valaika as well. I don't think Wilkerson is a a good major league player, but as I said, he's a decent guy to have in the system.

I think Urena will get first shot to stick as the everyday 2B, but Valaika could be in the running for sure. 

Urena should be eligible to be a minor league free agent.  Have you heard that the O's are re-signing him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next years second baseman SHOULD be either Bannon (because why not?) or a player who is currently not in the organization.

The job of Elias this offseason should be to make some moves to acquire better ML ready IF talent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Next years second baseman SHOULD be either Bannon (because why not?) or a player who is currently not in the organization.

The job of Elias this offseason should be to make some moves to acquire better ML ready IF talent.  

What has Bannon done to deserve it?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Urena should be eligible to be a minor league free agent.  Have you heard that the O's are re-signing him?

My fault, I meant Ramon Urias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 136 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...