oriolediehard

O's name mentioned for Trevor Bauer

Bauer projects to be the best starting pitcher on the free-agent market, and he could hardly have put up a better showcase year, finishing the regular season with a 1.73 ERA over 11 starts and following up with a dominant 12-strikeout start against the Braves in the NL Wild Card Series. Sources who spoke to SNY's John Harper believe that Bauer could aim for a contract in the neighborhood of Stephen Strasburg's seven-year, $245 million deal with the Nationals a year ago.

The outspoken Bauer figures to dominate the free-agent conversation, and he has already fielded pitches from various fanbases on Twitter. The Dodgers, Yankees, Padres, Braves, Blue Jays, Angels, Orioles and, yes, the Astros are among the teams Bauer has mentioned on his Twitter account in the past few weeks, though perhaps that Houston mention was tongue-in-cheek

The only question here is who is going to be his Teixiera/Fielder champion?  If you volunteer you have to start four threads a day talking about how there won't be any starting pitchers of this caliber on the market until 2026 and we have to sign him if we ever have a chance to compete.  All in on the last TOR!  Outbid all the other teams, and add in the Confederate money tax.  7/150?  10/300?  15/675?  Not my money!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

if there are questions about picking up Iglesias option do you really believe we're going all out for Bauer when we're probably not going to be truly competitive until at least the 2022 or 2023 season?

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He mentioned us, we didn’t mention him.

Exactly.  This is lazy reporting, kinda.  Not lazy in the sense that it makes sense to report that he mentioned Baltimore but too lazy to connect the dots that we aren't interested in paying that much for a player.

I also think that Bauer is way overpriced at 7/245.  He's a good pitcher but not THAT good.  

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Exactly.  This is lazy reporting, kinda.  Not lazy in the sense that it makes sense to report that he mentioned Baltimore but too lazy to connect the dots that we aren't interested in paying that much for a player.

I also think that Bauer is way overpriced at 7/245.  He's a good pitcher but not THAT good.  

Well, I’m not sure he signs that deal or not.

He is on record saying he wants to sign a one year deal every year.

Whether that still stands remains to be seen.

But yea, I wouldn’t give him that type of deal at his age.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I’m not sure he signs that deal or not.

He is on record saying he wants to sign a one year deal every year.

Whether that still stands remains to be seen.

But yea, I wouldn’t give him that type of deal at his age.  

Trevor Bauer is 29, has been in the majors since 2012, and has a 3.90 ERA/3.85 FIP.  In two (really 1 1/3) of the last three years he's been very good.  But in '19 he had a 4.48 ERA/4.34 FIP. 

His excellent 2018 involved a HR rate less than half the rest of his career's, and just 175 innings.  In '20 his BABIP was .215, or .085 lower than his career mark.

No way a guy who was pretty good, great, pretty mediocre, then great for a third of a year would be a poor choice for an epic contract.  Right?  Who wouldn't base a 7/245 deal on a guy's last 73 innings?  No chance he'd mirror Jason Schmidt's carer.

If I were to project a 2021 season for Bauer in an O's uniform it would be 170 innings of a 4.15, with 30 homers allowed.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Trevor Bauer is 29, has been in the majors since 2012, and has a 3.90 ERA/3.85 FIP.  In two (really 1 1/3) of the last three years he's been very good.  But in '19 he had a 4.48 ERA/4.34 FIP. 

His excellent 2018 involved a HR rate less than half the rest of his career's, and just 175 innings.  In '20 his BABIP was .215, or .085 lower than his career mark.

No way a guy who was pretty good, great, pretty mediocre, then great for a third of a year would be a poor choice for an epic contract.  Right?  Who wouldn't base a 7/245 deal on a guy's last 73 innings?  No chance he'd mirror Jason Schmidt's carer.

If I were to project a 2021 season for Bauer in an O's uniform it would be 170 innings of a 4.15, with 30 homers allowed.

I agree.  

The thing I will say about Bauer is that he seems to work very hard at his craft.  He seems to want to get better all the time and takes an interest in analytics, spin rate, etc.  That said, his results are what they are.  

Now isn't the time for the Orioles to add that veteran pitcher needed for a serious playoff run. Second Trevor Bauer has a career ERA+ of 113 and he is way more likely to return back to that level of pitcher in 2021. 

Save the money for player development and value free agents to fill out the roster.