Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MurphDogg

Orioles claim Yolmer Sanchez

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Perhaps they are thinking that run prevention needs to be improved, so they want defense?

Defense is still largely undervalued throughout the league.  

Is it?  Between the strike outs and the fly balls I'm not sure how much value exists in infield defense in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it?  Between the strike outs and the fly balls I'm not sure how much value exists in infield defense in 2021.

I think this just points out the reason why it’s undervalued.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this just points out the reason why it’s undervalued.

Or it's properly valued in the market and folks are thinking it's undervalued because they haven't properly taken into account the changes in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or it's properly valued in the market and folks are thinking it's undervalued because they haven't properly taken into account the changes in the game.

Nah..defense will always matter.  You just saw the Rays win the AL pennant in large part because of great defense.

Maybe some of the advances in the game make it less important than even 5 years ago but it’s still very important.  Run prevention will always be important.

Its like people who watch the NFL and think the shiney toys are WR and RB are what win you games because the game is so offensive nowadays.

You still win football games at the line of scrimmage.  It has always been that way and it always will be that way.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah..defense will always matter.  You just saw the Rays win the AL pennant in large part because of great defense.

Maybe some of the advances in the game make it less important than even 5 years ago but it’s still very important.  Run prevention will always be important.

Its like people who watch the NFL and think the shiney toys are WR and RB are what win you games because the game is so offensive nowadays.

You still win football games at the line of scrimmage.  It has always been that way and it always will be that way.

It can be important and still properly valued.

We don't see Mountcastle at short now do we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They certainly could be thinking of Sanchez at second and Alberto to third..either Ruiz and him platoon or Ruiz is gone.

Sanchez won a GG at second and the IF defense has been an issue.  I don’t think this is a move just for the hell of it.

Is Alberto any better at 3B? In 2019, his overall defense was splendid, with 6 outs above average in the infield. He hit considerably better as well, so maybe 2019 was an outlier. In 2020, he hit badly, and was terrible on defense, minus 3 at 2B and zero at 3B. Zero is allegedly average.

Ruiz was also Zero OAA at 3B so they are basically equal, though more in-depth looking would probably reveal an edge for one or the other. However, They both hit LOUSY, so there’s clearly no reason to keep either one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this just points out the reason why it’s undervalued.

I think clear look at unearned runs scored off the infield reveals that infield defense is indeed valuable. And not just unearned runs either: sloppy play constantly results in “hits,” and extra pitches, and earlier hooks, and tired pens. 
infield defense is important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is Alberto any better at 3B? In 2019, his overall defense was splendid, with 6 outs above average in the infield. He hit considerably better as well, so maybe 2019 was an outlier. In 2020, he hit badly, and was terrible on defense, minus 3 at 2B and zero at 3B. Zero is allegedly average.

Ruiz was also Zero OAA at 3B so they are basically equal, though more in-depth looking would probably reveal an edge for one or the other. However, They both hit LOUSY, so there’s clearly no reason to keep either one.

There is a reason to keep Alberto as a platoon player vs lefties.   But it has to be at the right price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is a reason to keep Alberto as a platoon player vs lefties.   But it has to be at the right price.

Alberto would have the weakest 3B arm in the league. Should we really pay $4-5 million for a platoon player who has no plate discipline and poor defense? I’m out on that. I know you said “right price.” But Sanchez, Urias, Martin, Ruiz and Valaika are all better defenders and all but Sanchez are better overall offensive producers. 
 

Curious where they play Sanchez. I wonder if he is the SS if Iglesias’ option is not picked up. He played 3B in 2018, so maybe Ruiz is vulnerable. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Alberto would have the weakest 3B arm in the league. Should we really pay $4-5 million for a platoon player who has no plate discipline and poor defense? I’m out on that. I know you said “right price.” But Sanchez, Urias, Martin, Ruiz and Valaika are all better defenders and all but Sanchez are better overall offensive producers. 
 

Curious where they play Sanchez. I wonder if he is the SS if Iglesias’ option is not picked up. He played 3B in 2018, so maybe Ruiz is vulnerable. 

I'd rather have Valaika everyday at 2B.  Sanchez and Alberto platooned at 3B.   Valaika had a 791 OPS in 2020 and I think it was mostly because he finally got to play everyday.  His best position is 2B.   

Alberto had shoulder surgery in 2017 and his arm showed  it in 2019 but his arm looked stronger in 2020.   His bat offers a  lot vs lefties and he would be average at 3B defensively.   Sanchez did pretty well vs righties in 2017 and 2018.  He is not known for his bat but he can play a good 3B.

I think the right price for Alberto is around  2M and for Sanchez between 3m and 3.5m.   I am sure their agents will disagree.   Its going to be interesting to see if Elias can make deals with them before the non tender date.  I don't think he will go to arbitration with either one.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea because no one ever speculates on a message board!

No one would ever do such a thing.  

It could be a decent pickup.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 3:14 PM, wildcard said:

There is a reason to keep Alberto as a platoon player vs lefties.   But it has to be at the right price.

Alberto is getting DFA. That is all but certain now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 3:53 PM, Jammer7 said:

Alberto would have the weakest 3B arm in the league. Should we really pay $4-5 million for a platoon player who has no plate discipline and poor defense? I’m out on that. I know you said “right price.” But Sanchez, Urias, Martin, Ruiz and Valaika are all better defenders and all but Sanchez are better overall offensive producers. 
 

Curious where they play Sanchez. I wonder if he is the SS if Iglesias’ option is not picked up. He played 3B in 2018, so maybe Ruiz is vulnerable. 

Iglesias was picked up. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, weams said:

Alberto is getting DFA. That is all but certain now. 

If the O's can sign Alberto to a one year, 2M contract I think that could happen and then he could be a platoon 3B/2B  for them.   But they need to agree before the non tender deadline. Otherwise, I agree he is probably DFA'd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 2:31 PM, Philip said:

I think clear look at unearned runs scored off the infield reveals that infield defense is indeed valuable. And not just unearned runs either: sloppy play constantly results in “hits,” and extra pitches, and earlier hooks, and tired pens. 
infield defense is important.

Is there even a stat kept for “unearned runs scored off the infield?”   If so, I’ve never seen it.   

Of course defense is important.   It’s logical that it’s less important when 24.5 balls per game are being put in play per game (2020) than when 27.4 balls per game are being put in play (1970).   And the value of infield defense is further diluted when the percentage of balls hit in the air increases.    The ratio of ground outs to air outs is 1.00 today compared to 1.08 in 1970.   So figure infield defense is arguably about 15% less important today than it was in 1970. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • https://www.mlb.com/video/hays-great-dive-in-9th
    • Lets look at both Santander and Nunez offensively at 26 years old Season WOBA WOBACON Barrel % Hard Hit % Exit Velo XBA XSLG XWOBA XWOBACON Renato Nunez .341 .453 12.1 36.4 86.3 .228 .433 .301 .388 Anthony Santander .358 .404 10.2 36.7 88.6 .286 .510 .338 .378 MLB AVG .317 .370 6.4 34.9 88.3 .250 .414 .321 .376 They are not significantly different though Santander is ahead in the most important OBA and especially XWOBA categories.  The key here is defensively value and cost. Santander is a switch hitting plus defensive RFer while Nunez is a DH. If Nunez played any position effectively, he'd be offered arbitration. Santander's issues have been staying healthy and he doesn't walk much, but then again, he doesn't strike out all that much either. Overall, Santander is a more valuable player than Nunez and this is coming from a guy who think Nunez is worth more than obviously the rest of baseball does.
    • Late to this thread but here's mine. Santander I don't expect any more than he gave us this year before he got hurt. But that's ok. A whole healthy year, that's a solid MLer. Hays... health is the biggest question. Total wrench in the gears. In a full year I would expect BIG things from him. He's not going to hit 30 HRs, but he might hit 30+ doubles and steal 30 bases. Play a stellar CF. I like Austin a lot! For a CFer he's what you want, a take charge guy. If there's a Bermuda Triangle pop up, and he can get to it, he will scream out and call everyone off. I noticed that from his first few games up. Not intimidated when he hit the bigs.
    • The original recording has a girl speaking Spanish in the background in a sexy voice. Like 40% the volume of Burdon. At one point she says in English "Are you listening to this?" Right after 3 minutes in. This 45... on the MGM label!  
    • YouTube came up with another of my favorites. That I have history with. 40 years ago my sisters and my cousins would listen to this 45 record endlessly! I was blown away by this song at 11 or 12 years old. Then 20ish years ago I found this live video online and was blown away a second time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0DMbCKnAg click it
    • I don't know how other folks classify this... avant garde? To me this is Punk. Like Devo. An influence on Devo!  
    • Then what makes you think another team would give us value for him?
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...