Tony-OH

Analysis of 2020 Rule 5 Eligible players

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I do. They have Davis, Mountcastle and Mancini. There’s only so many 1b/DH you can have. 

I know Davis is on the roster but, at this point, I don't consider him part of the active team.  Each AB that Chris Davis gets going forward is a black mark for the Orioles.  It looked like they understood that by the end of the season last year.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I know Davis is on the roster but, at this point, I don't consider him part of the active team.  Each AB that Chris Davis gets going forward is a black mark for the Orioles.  It looked like they understood that by the end of the season last year.

Right.  It’s fine that you are keeping him right now because of covid...and perhaps, depending on how things go, you end up keeping him on the active roster for a little while to see if the season gets canceled, although I think that is highly unlikely.

At this point, the plan should be to keep him up until you know when the season starts and then you cut him.  

• Upvote 1

So...is there anyone available in the draft from other teams that would be worthy of cutting one of our players (other then Davis, because obviously he is a god around here or has naked pics of the Angelos boys)

14 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...is there anyone available in the draft from other teams that would be worthy of cutting one of our players (other then Davis, because obviously he is a god around here or has naked pics of the Angelos boys)

Or can be paid less than his full contract amount due to pandemic. Orioles are very glad they did not release him last season.

I would honestly rather keep Chris Davis on the off chance we can save some money due to a COVID-shortened 2021 season than keep Renato Nunez. Optimistically, Nunez is a one-win DH who is probably going to get between $2 and $3 million in arbitration. You can kick a tree and a half-dozen Nunez-type players fall out, most of whom can be had for league minimum or near to it. Pretty sure DJ Stewart can be a one-win DH for league minimum--it's really not hard to find these guys.

And spare me the "35 homers" stuff. Have you already forgotten Mark Trumbo and how little value he had for us?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Kevin Smith SS/3B (Toronto/former MD Terp) caught my attention in a glance of the article below. Better numbers, albeit AA in 2019, than I would have thought. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/bluejays/kevin-smith-675656

Here is an article from MLB Pipeline about the top 30 prospects of each team protected and not.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If Davis was cut, we keep Nunez right?

I don't agree.

I don't belittle what Nunez did.  Guys don't fall out of trees and hit 35 homers and knock in 90-100.   I have no problem seeing what D.J. Stewart can do though if that's the plan or some kind of outfield rotation where Mullins gets time and Hays, Santander, and Mountcastle get some DH AB's.  

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Kevin Smith SS/3B (Toronto/former MD Terp) caught my attention in a glance of the article below. Better numbers, albeit AA in 2019, than I would have thought. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/bluejays/kevin-smith-675656

Here is an article from MLB Pipeline about the top 30 prospects of each team protected and not.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Who would you cut for him?

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Who would you cut for him?

I am not saying he should be the pick, but he is certainly interesting. We pick fifth, I believe. Maybe Toronto would trade him to us to avoid losing him for nothing. 

Alberto is expendable for  me, and I know there are differing thoughts here. I could see cutting Ruiz, but I think he stays a while longer. I could see Valaika, maybe, but I like what he brings for the price tag. I would like to see what Valaika would do with one position to focus on. 

12 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If Davis was cut, we keep Nunez right?

I think they’ve had two years to evaluate Nunez and found him lacking and not worth his salary in arbitration.  So, not necessarily.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don't belittle what Nunez did.  Guys don't fall out of trees and hit 35 homers and knock in 90-100.   

31 and 90 for Nunez in 2019.  55 guys hit at least 31 homers that year.   44 had at least 90 RBI.  

I like homers and RBI as much as the next guy.  But I also like guys who can get on base more than Nunez, who can run the bases and who can field respectably.   He’s basically a 1 WAR player.   That’s not garbage, but it’s not something to worry about either.   

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

31 and 90 for Nunez in 2019.  55 guys hit at least 31 homers that year.   44 had at least 90 RBI.  

I like homers and RBI as much as the next guy.  But I also like guys who can get on base more than Nunez, who can run the bases and who can field respectably.   He’s basically a 1 WAR player.   That’s not garbage, but it’s not something to worry about either.   

Putting Nunez in the top 60 power hitting players in the majors for a guy claimed off waivers is quite an accomplishment. That is roughly 2 power hitters per team.  But I agree with DFAing him when considering Mancini and Diaz in 2021.

22 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I would honestly rather keep Chris Davis on the off chance we can save some money due to a COVID-shortened 2021 season than keep Renato Nunez. Optimistically, Nunez is a one-win DH who is probably going to get between $2 and $3 million in arbitration. You can kick a tree and a half-dozen Nunez-type players fall out, most of whom can be had for league minimum or near to it. Pretty sure DJ Stewart can be a one-win DH for league minimum--it's really not hard to find these guys.

And spare me the "35 homers" stuff. Have you already forgotten Mark Trumbo and how little value he had for us?

Why ? The Orioles arent investing that money in the team anyway. It will go straight into the Angelos pockets. I don’t understand why any fan cares about saving money. 

If I’m Elias I’m telling Davis to retire by telling him he will never play another game. If he forces me he will travel, prepare, and go through all of the preparation with no chance of playing. I’d echo to him that he’s basically stolen the clubs money from day 1 of the new contact.... like Davis himself said in the Sun article last year. If he doesn’t retire than do be it. It’s lost money aneay.