Sign in to follow this  
ofan239

What about POP

Was somewhat surprised Zach Pop was not added to the 40 man. I understand the additions of Diaz, Baumann, Lowther, Wells , Mattson, and Bannon but I would have thought someone like Wynns may have gotten dfa’d for Pop. Which leads me wonder 1) Do they think they can’t get Pop through the Rule 5 as he is just coming off surgery and 2) Because Wynns was kept as of now does this mean Severino or Sisco may leave later ?

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s a big risk.  I think he gets taken.  Just hope he’s not ready.

So, you think some weasel will go for Pop?  I know, I know.  Sorry.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

The risk isn’t Being taken, the risk is that he sticks with his new team, and if he sticks with his new team then we have lost a competent middle reliever… Oh well.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s a big risk.  I think he gets taken.  Just hope he’s not ready.

This is where I am. He only needs 60 days on the active roster, I think. He could do a minor league rehab assignment for a month after a stint on the DL.

There is obviously a lot of information we are not privy to that went into this decision. Its a gamble. 

Unless you feel he's elite, one of the most plentiful assets in baseball are RH relievers.  We have Matson, Sedlock, Alvarado, potential failed starters like Hanifee, Bradish, Baumann, Peralta, and Fenter.  I'm kind of surprised they protected Matson although he's probably considered a better bet to get picked and stick.  Also, hard throwing RH relievers are available on the waiver wire throughout the season.  I guess there is some thought that Pop might be unique because of his arm angle.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Unless you feel he's elite, one of the most plentiful assets in baseball are RH relievers.  We have Matson, Sedlock, Alvarado, potential failed starters like Hanifee, Bradish, Baumann, Peralta, and Fenter.  I'm kind of surprised they protected Matson although he's probably considered a better bet to get picked and stick.  Also, hard throwing RH relievers are available on the waiver wire throughout the season.  I guess there is some thought that Pop might be unique because of his arm angle.  

I posted Elias’ comments about Mattson. It was obvious that he was going to be protected IMO. Elias feels that he’s ready and can help at some point this year.

When was the last time we left someone exposed to the Rule 5 draft who we really worried might be taken and that he might be good enough for it to hurt losing him?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

When was the last time we left someone exposed to the Rule 5 draft who we really worried might be taken and that he might be good enough for it to hurt losing him?

Some thought Sedlock and Fenter would go last year, and we’re up in arms. But I really cannot think of any that would have been legitimate losses. Pedro Beato, maybe, but he was disappointing anyway. 

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Alvarado signed with the A's yesterday. 

• Upvote 3