Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

The annual “is Chris Davis going to change his approach next season” thread

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They must be terrible side effects if hitting .115 is a reality he can deal with.

Anderson not Davis.

5 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I heard Brittny Ghiroli guffawing on a podcast this weekend about how this time he got busted for the Palmeiro stuff, like he was driving a Model T or something.

Yea, Cano was using stuff designed in the early 60's.  Not something you want to cheap out on.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep.

But to further my point, if he was taking any kind of PEDs, why stop after signing that contract?  And why continue to be absolutely miserable for years now, especially if the easy fix is PEDs?  

While there's a risk to take them as Robinson Cano just found out, the dopers are usually ahead of the testing that's out there.  

It's like Brady Anderson said, if his 50 homer season was due to taking steroids, wouldn't he just keep taking them?  It'd behoove everyone if he did.  Same applies to Davis.

I have a theory. No better than your average CoC theory.  I believe pretty strongly that he did them.  Why stop?  Well, once he bagged his big contract, he may have felt the health risks and the low risk of getting caught were not worth it.  Perhaps he had a health scare or just being married and having a young family made him reevaluate the health risks. I know that he lost a lot of body mass over the last 5 years.  He says he was slow to change his swing because he had prior success.   Then why lose muscle and mass purposely if that's the way you were when you had all your success?

No idea on Brady.  He still hit like 24 homers after the 50 homer season.  He may have used but that seadon was an aberration either way.  Like Davey Johnson in 73.  If you believe Brady used, I don't think the seasons after the 50 homer season necessarily mean that he stopped.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I have a theory. No better than your average CoC theory.  I believe pretty strongly that he did them.  Why stop?  Well, once he bagged his big contract, he may have felt the health risks and the low risk of getting caught were not worth it.  Perhaps he had a health scare or just being married and having a young family made him reevaluate the health risks. I know that he lost a lot of body mass over the last 5 years.  He says he was slow to change his swing because he had prior success.   Then why lose muscle and mass purposely if that's the way you were when you had all your success?

Beats me. 

But I don't believe anyone who's had a bit of success at the ML level while juicing stops taking them, especially after they've bagged a big contract.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Beats me. 

But I don't believe anyone who's had a bit of success at the ML level while juicing stops taking them, especially after they've bagged a big contract.  

I guess it depends on the mindset.  If the big contract was the important thing to you I can see why you wouldn't want to risk losing money by testing positive.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I guess it depends on the mindset.  If the big contract was the important thing to you I can see why you wouldn't want to risk losing money by testing positive.

Look at you siding with @RZNJ.  How's that make you feel?

The reason he stopped taking them after locking down the big contract is the same reason he won't just walk away and retire.  Two syllables, rhymes with shmoney.... 

Just now, Griffey said:

The reason he stopped taking them after locking down the big contract is the same reason he won't just walk away and retire.  Two syllables, rhymes with shmoney.... 

• Upvote 1

The only interesting question here is, how does this compare with previous off-season comments that Davis has made?

It is laughable that every spring he shows up and offers some variation of the,” last year was bad this year will be better because I have changed” comment.

It’s BS, he knows it, we know he knows it and he knows we know it. Mike too. But nobody’s gonna say it out loud.

I swear, “the emperors new clothes” is perhaps the most encompassing fable of all time.

Because that’s what we’ve got here.

• Like 1

The fact is that Davis can't hit MLB pitching anymore.  He can't catch up to a 95 mph fastball anymore.  Those are a dime a dozen in the modern bullpen and not uncommon in starters.  He is hitting ridiculously low against good fastballs.  It was around .100 or so, ok that's not much lower than his regular average.  He can't even hit mistake pitches from a pitcher with good velocity anymore.

I will apologize in advance for the opinion I'm about to voice but CD's MLB career is over and has been for about 5 years and he is here now because they (bros Angelos) hope to save some money in 2021 if games are cancelled. CD's latest line about his experience in TX is pure BS. he came here and continued to fail, spending countless hours in the weight room and batting cage, practicing the same thing that failed in TX. Then in 2011 or 2012 or so our then hitting coach got thru to him and they went back to basics, literally hitting off a tee to get him to stay closed and go the other way. It took awhile but 2013 was the result, coach left in 2014 for personal reasons and CD reverted in 2015. The rest is history. CD IMO is lost in his denial and his excuses are weak. I have reconstructed the timeline before here years ago but I'm too tired to even go look for it now. I'm doing this from memory and I could be off on the details but he did change before and then  reverted and has stubbornly refused to change again. Keep him until the 2021schedule length is determined, if they save money fine, if not cut him or play a man short in  2021. He needs to go sooner than later.

• Upvote 1