Sign in to follow this  
Philip

Rule five Choices: other teams unprotected prospects

So, the other Rule Five thread was getting cumbersome and obsolete, so I started a new thread. Feel free to move it if deemed proper.

I think we’re looking for an infielder rather than a pitcher because we have so many in house pitchers who need a chance and are-probably-ready for a chance that it makes better sense to focus on them than to bring in an outsider, even one with upside, who will take a roster spot. Also, middle relievers Are plentiful, and Just like we got a bunch of warm bodies last year, and a few stuck, we can do the same this time without the R5 restrictions.

With that in mind: Brewers Lewis Erceg  has good defense, a strong arm, a past as a pitcher and is big and solid. One wonders if he doesn’t fix hit hitting problems, if he might return to pitching?

Blue Jays Kevin Smith: good defender, not much bat yet, but smart.

Nobody else really stuck out for me, but I was focusing on SS and 3B. Wish Luke were here...grrr

Who do you like and why? 
And do you think we’re going to even bother? Waiver pickups are as cheap and don’t have the R5 restrictions. Maybe we’ll pass? I think we will participate, but...

I’d let Severino walk and draft PJ Higgins from the Cubs. Plus  arm, solid defensive catcher, developing bat, flexibility to play a  couple other  positions including 3B.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/02/27/p-j-higgins-development-and-his-play-in-mesa-make-you-wonder-about-his-big-league-roster-viability/

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No one

That’s possible, given the R5 restrictions, but it’s another Avenue for acquisition, so I think Mike will take someone who can fill a niche. I don’t think that niche is pitching or OF, but @Roll Tide mentioned catcher, and that’s a real possibility, if they think Sisco won’t get any better.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s possible, given the R5 restrictions, but it’s another Avenue for acquisition, so I think Mike will take someone who can fill a niche. I don’t think that niche is pitching or OF, but @Roll Tide mentioned catcher, and that’s a real possibility, if they think Sisco won’t get any better.

There is no one to acquire someone.  We are ok in positions this year to the point where you aren’t bringing in anyone that can potentially move the needle in a different position.

It has made some sense, at times, in the past.  It doesn’t make sense this year unless someone third baseman falls through the cracks but chances are, whatever third baseman is out there isn’t as good as Ruiz..who isn’t good.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is no one to acquire someone.  We are ok in positions this year to the point where you aren’t bringing in anyone that can potentially move the needle in a different position.

It has made some sense, at times, in the past.  It doesn’t make sense this year unless someone third baseman falls through the cracks but chances are, whatever third baseman is out there isn’t as good as Ruiz..who isn’t good.

Well again, that’s possible but consider that Ruiz is a known quantity, and that quantity is not very good. He’s right about replacement level. If we bring in someone who is currently just as good, that person will at least have the possibility of improvement; The possibility that we can tweak his swing or fix his throws or something. That possibility doesn’t really exist with Ruiz, and that by itself would be a valid reason to trade him for an unknown new guy: to get that fresh possibility.

Plus, as I said, a rule five choice is a $50,000 gamble. And in a sport where tens of millions are tossed about Willy-Nilly, $50,000 is nothing. The only real cost is the guy who is tossed to make room and we still have several of those.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well again, that’s possible but consider that Ruiz is a known quantity, and that quantity is not very good. He’s right about replacement level. If we bring in someone who is currently just as good, that person will at least have the possibility of improvement; The possibility that we can tweak his swing or fix his throws or something. That possibility doesn’t really exist with Ruiz, and that by itself would be a valid reason to trade him for an unknown new guy: to get that fresh possibility.

Plus, as I said, a rule five choice is a $50,000 gamble. And in a sport where tens of millions are tossed about Willy-Nilly, $50,000 is nothing. The only real cost is the guy who is tossed to make room and we still have several of those.

No, the cost is  the roster spot. 

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, the cost is  the roster spot. 

Yes that’s what I said. But we still have several completely expendable guys, and I will cheerfully wager we’re going to see 8 to 10 guys come and go in the next couple of months.

I imagine there are a couple guys the Orioles may non-tender if they are unable to trade them first. There are also a few more droppable players on the roster. With that, there is space to take someone. I think they may take one, but I think they'll be a lot more prudent with their pick this time. The roster is a bit tighter so it's not a given that they'll select someone like it was in past seasons. We also won' have the first or second pick so maybe Elias has a couple guys he would take, but they're gone by his turn?

I do like the Higgins idea by Roll Tide, but admittedly don't have too much knowledge on him or anyone else really.

So, lets bring in a replacement level 3B and hope he improves but lets totally disregard the 3B we have of improving?  Yeah.  I got it.  Then when the replacement is just ok after 500-700 AB's we can replace him with another replacement level 3B.  If you can't be an all star within your first 500 ML AB's you gotta go!

54 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes that’s what I said. But we still have several completely expendable guys, and I will cheerfully wager we’re going to see 8 to 10 guys come and go in the next couple of months.

No, you said the cost is 50k..that’s not the real cost (or at least the cost that matters)

And yea, we have guys that can be cut but we also have players in the minors that are coming up fast that should get those spots.

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, lets bring in a replacement level 3B and hope he improves but lets totally disregard the 3B we have of improving?  Yeah.  I got it.  Then when the replacement is just ok after 500-700 AB's we can replace him with another replacement level 3B.  If you can't be an all star within your first 500 ML AB's you gotta go!

Well, I don’t think we should do either but Rios is likely who he is at this point and who he is isn’t that good.  I don’t mind trying out someone else.  Even if they don’t end up being better, at least you tried something new to find out if they could be better.

I'm not seeing any obvious choices. Maybe this guy? Roster him as defensive sub this year, kind of like Richie Martin? 

Wander Javier, Twins #9, 60 arm/60 field, would have been in AA last year. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm not seeing any obvious choices. Maybe this guy? Roster him as defensive sub this year, kind of like Richie Martin? 

Wander Javier, Twins #9, 60 arm/60 field, would have been in AA last year. 

But we still have Ritchie Martin. Seems redundant. 

I like the idea of Kevin Smith from TOR. He either gets back to where he was prior to 2019 and it’s a steal or he doesn’t and he’s returned for minimal commitment. Seems worth it if the only thing we could possibly lose is a guy like Sulser. 

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I don’t think we should do either but Rios is likely who he is at this point and who he is isn’t that good. 

What makes you so sure Ruiz has plateaued?    He’s young and inexperienced enough that improvement is a possibility.   I’m not saying it’s a certainty or even a likelihood, but it wouldn’t shock me if he showed some significant improvement like lots of players do at around his age and level of experience.