wildcard

Salary Arbitration makes O's infield uncertain

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get the Santander love around here.

Yeah - aside from being the best player on the roster, there isn't much to like.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Don’t necessarily disagree with this but the depth could become a problem.  The adage that you can’t have too much depth is factually wrong.

At some point, you do reach that point and you risk losing players for nothing.  

So, Elias better start thinking about trading some of the depth and if he can do it for cost controlled talent, it makes sense to do so.  

I also think they should offer Santander in a deal as well..there are enough teams looking for OF help where something likely could be worked out there as well.

I think its probably a year early for that.  I fully expect Elias to follow the Tampa model.  They traded Archer for a couple of really good prospects because Archer was getting expensive.  Now they are floating Snell to see if they can do the same thing.

I don't think Elias offers Santander of long term deal.  I think when Kjerstad is ready in a year or two Elias trades Santander for good prospects.

The answer to the infield is in the minors most likely.   Henderson and Westburg will probably be promoted aggressively.   Not stay at levels very long if they are doing well.

We saw Elias slow round Mountcastle's promotion.  That was mainly not use his service time until the O's had more of their core in or close to the majors.  When Rutschman, Rodriguez and Hall are ready for the majors, I don't see other prospects getting slow rounded.  They will be promoted more aggressively to get as many talented players in the majors while those three's window is open.  Hopefully for 5 or 6 years.

JMO

29 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Yeah - aside from being the best player on the roster, there isn't much to like.

Lol..he’s not the best player on the roster and if he was, that speaks to how terrible the roster is, not how good he is.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't get you not getting the Santander love around here.

Meaning people are homers or meaning you think he’s really good?

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think its probably a year early for that.  I fully expect Elias to follow the Tampa model.  They traded Archer for a couple of really good prospects because Archer was getting expensive.  Now they are floating Snell to see if they can do the same thing.

I don't think Elias offers Santander of long term deal.  I think when Kjerstad is ready in a year or two Elias trades Santander for good prospects.

The answer to the infield is in the minors most likely.   Henderson and Westburg will probably be promoted aggressively.   Not stay at levels very long if they are doing well.

We saw Elias slow round Mountcastle's promotion.  That was mainly not use his service time until the O's had more of their core in or close to the majors.  When Rutschman, Rodriguez and Hall are ready for the majors, I don't see other prospects getting slow rounded.  They will be promoted more aggressively to get as many talented players in the majors while those three's window is open.  Hopefully for 5 or 6 years.

JMO

Nothing wrong with this and I suspect you are right.

But he should be shopping him now.  Teams don’t want to spend money on the middling FAs and a lot of teams can’t spend on the big money guys.

Atlanta just signed Morton, after signing Smyly.  They could lose Ozuna and may or may not keep Duvall.  They are a good example of a team that may want to save money on a guy like Santander(there are other examples).

I would try to take advantage of that while Santander is coming off a “good season”.

Certainly not a must trade and I can see waiting on him but they absolutely should be shopping him.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Meaning people are homers or meaning you think he’s really good?

I think he's decent.  I don't think he's "really good" but I think he's pretty good and can be a piece for a winning team.  Also shocked that a rule 5 pick turned out to be solid.

I would like to see Sanchez stay and have a strong MIF for the young pitchers. Like Frobby said, there's no way he gets 4M in arbitration. I want Severino, Ruiz and Alberto gone. I've seen enough of them. Keep Sisco and Wynns or some other catch and throw guy. This year should be about establishing the young pitchers. You need good defense in order to do that. Having Alberto, Severino, Stewart, Ruiz etc on the field will be a detriment. Second priority should be figuring out which of the young outfielders are legit and using the others as org depth or trade for anything you can get. I would like to see them add International slots, competitive balance picks or young international players.

Edited by MCO'sFan
I'm stupid

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..he’s not the best player on the roster and if he was, that speaks to how terrible the roster is, not how good he is.

The roster is terrible. Was that up for discussion?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get the Santander love around here.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nunezre01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/santaan02.shtml

I find it hilarious that you're unhappy about Nunez getting DFA'dand then so indifferent for Santander. 

Neither are world beaters, but they offensively are fairly similar and defensively Santander has a place.  If nothing else the view should be at minimum similar.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nunezre01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/santaan02.shtml

I find it hilarious that you're unhappy about Nunez getting DFA'dand then so indifferent for Santander. 

Neither are world beaters, but they offensively are fairly similar and defensively Santander has a place.  If nothing else the view should be at minimum similar.

Exactly..they are similar offensive players. Santander plays a decent defense but nothing great.  Neither provide much on the bases.  Neither has a good OBP although Nunez will likely walk more.  

However, you have people on here acting like Nunez has very little offensive value and Santander is some really good player. He’s fine..he’s good value for his salary but he’s oft injured and doesn’t walk.  Availability is a skill and Santander struggles with that.

Thank you for proving my point.  :)

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly..they are similar offensive players. Santander plays a decent defense but nothing great.  Neither provide much on the bases.  Neither has a good OBP although Nunez will likely walk more.  

However, you have people on here acting like Nunez has very little offensive value and Santander is some really good player. He’s fine..he’s good value for his salary but he’s oft injured and doesn’t walk.  Availability is a skill and Santander struggles with that.

Thank you for proving my point.  :)

Honestly, I think people fell a little too far in love with Santander’s 2020 performance over 37 games.   I seriously doubt he’s going to post a .314 ISO on a regular basis as he did in his short stint this year.    It is probably fair to suggest that he and Nunez are similar offensive players.    

Still, I think you underestimate the difference between being a solid defensive corner OF and being a DH who is a very poor defender at 1B/3B.