Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roll Tide

ALL TEAMS TOP 30 PLAYERS NOT PROTECTED FOR THE RULE 5

Recommended Posts

Packy Naughton and David Parkinson.  Two LH starters who might be able to stick as relievers.  If the O's go for anything I think it will be something like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

 

I WOULD BE KEYING ON SS, 2B, AND 3B IF I MADE A PICK AS THE ORIOLES GM.

 

PLAYERS I FIND INTERESTING LOOK LIKE THEY COULD BE READY AND LESS LIKE A PROJECT.

 

I LIKE THE PIRATES KEVIN KRAMER HE WAS A .280ISH HITTER / .350 OBP/ .460 SLG.

SS OSWALDO PERAZA THE YANKEES #4  HE'S 20 BUT GRADE 60S IN RUN, ARM, FIELD & 45 POWER AND 55 HIT.  BUT HASN'T PLAYED ABOVE A BALL. THIS CONTRADICTS MY PREVIOUS POINT BUT I BELIEVE I WOULD FIND A WAY TO CARRY HIM AS A UTILITY PLAYER TO SWIPE HIM FROM THE YANKEES. HE HAS A CAREER .350 OBP AND .267 AVG.

ROCKIES COLTON WELKER (3B) LOOKS LIKE A POSSIBILITY AT 3B  (60 ARM, 55 FIELD, 50 HIT , 50 POWER)

 

 

 

 

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020

Peraza appears to be on Yanks' 40-man

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

ROCKIES COLTON WELKER (3B) LOOKS LIKE A POSSIBILITY AT 3B  (60 ARM, 55 FIELD, 50 HIT , 50 POWER)

Colorado put him on the 40 - he's perhaps Arenado's heir apparent assuming Nolan peaces out.

Welker and Nevin were Hartford's 2019 corners and I think I heard the Yard Goats play-by-play guy hint Nevin may have gotten some 3B reps except for the better prospect there.  I'll be curious to see Renato-style how the club comes at Nevin's "3B" usage next year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riley Pint is a guy to look at.  He was one of the best arms in the drafts a few years back and was selected 4th overall. His fastball is ++ pitch and a guy you could stash in the bullpen.  I would expect him to go in this draft and maybe before we get a chance.  The other high upside guy I see is Wander Javier.  He was one of top international signing guys at the time.  He has been often injured though in minors but the tools are there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Riley Pint is a guy to look at.  He was one of the best arms in the drafts a few years back and was selected 4th overall. His fastball is ++ pitch and a guy you could stash in the bullpen.  I would expect him to go in this draft and maybe before we get a chance.  The other high upside guy I see is Wander Javier.  He was one of top international signing guys at the time.  He has been often injured though in minors but the tools are there.  

Wander has collapsed. He’s been so bad he didn’t get protected. Hard pass. I don’t think Kramer hits well enough to be considered, and his defense isn’t anything. I was interested because we share a name, but no. 
The unprotected ranked prospects offer pretty slim pickin’s, so we will choose someone not on the surface radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was just listing them in order for who could be top 5 taken now not necessarily all fits for us. There are few other guys that have more upside but are too far down the minors to really consider IMO.

1. Riley Pint.  Rhp The stuff is about as high as your ever going to find in the rule 5 draft.  Fastball curve is back end of bullpen type stuff.  Now where it is going half the time is a different story but you won’t find higher upside in this draft.

2. Wander Javier SS again tools are there but consistent playing time has kept him back missing a bunch of time.  If he can stay healthy and get in reps could be guy that is your SS of future.  I could see Richie Martin type strategy get him through next season as backup middle infielder then send to AA or AAA next year. He is just 21 years old so you have time in minors after if you can get him through this season.

3. Kevin Kramer. utility He is a bit more ready and could probably hold his own as utility type player this year. He is already 27 so he is more what you see will be what you get type guy and not high upside guy.  I don’t see him as a guy that fits in what I would be looking at as terms of rule draft but he still guy I could see getting claimed in it.

4. Jose Soriano rhp another high upside guy with + fastball.  He has been a starter but could be used in pen and try to hide him some, then see what you have in 2-3 years.

5. Brewer Hinklin of He us a former 2 sport player out of college with football and baseball.  He has tools to play corner outfield and can play CF in a pinch but arm is below average. He has good speed and stolen quite a few bases in minors and  decent power but pretty raw and a position we are pretty deep in. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Colorado put him on the 40 - he's perhaps Arenado's heir apparent assuming Nolan peaces out.

Welker and Nevin were Hartford's 2019 corners and I think I heard the Yard Goats play-by-play guy hint Nevin may have gotten some 3B reps except for the better prospect there.  I'll be curious to see Renato-style how the club comes at Nevin's "3B" usage next year.

Nice catch ....wow 

 

Did the writer edit the article or did I really make 2 errors in 1 OP? It’s probably me 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Wander has collapsed. He’s been so bad he didn’t get protected. Hard pass. I don’t think Kramer hits well enough to be considered, and his defense isn’t anything. I was interested because we share a name, but no. 
The unprotected ranked prospects offer pretty slim pickin’s, so we will choose someone not on the surface radar.

Wander has fallen more because of health not because the tools are not there.  It is hard to play well when you can’t stay on the field.  He has had just 457 at bats over the last three years.  He missed all of 2018 and first 2 months in 2019.  You can’t expect a guy missing 18 months of baseball to be playing well coming back.  He is a guy that really is hurt by no minor league ball in 2020 too because he would have had his first real off season then spring ball.  So you factor in 2020 he has had just 300 at bats in 3 year span. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Wander has fallen more because of health not because the tools are not there.  It is hard to play well when you can’t stay on the field.  He has had just 457 at bats over the last three years.  He missed all of 2018 and first 2 months in 2019.  You can’t expect a guy missing 18 months of baseball to be playing well coming back.  He is a guy that really is hurt by no minor league ball in 2020 too because he would have had his first real off season then spring ball.  So you factor in 2020 he has had just 300 at bats in 3 year span. 

That’s fine and true, but the Rays are the best in the biz at developing talent. If they’ve given up on him, it’s fair to think they exhausted all the possibilities first. I think Grenier might not pan out, and Hall is still a couple years off, so if the Os think they see something worthwhile,  Wander certainly has some appeal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I don't think we are going to convince one another which is fine. If they placed values on certain players, they could certainly end up "accidentally" saving $222K over the course of a 5 round draft. Especially when their plan was to sign their first pick for significantly less than slot value. There is something of an information gap when drafting in the Majors. Teams don't know exactly what it is going to take to sign every single player, there is uncertainty as to which players will be available in future rounds, and they could reasonably think that a player that costs less to sign is better than a player who might cost more to sign. Coby Mayo and Carter Baumler were the highest paid players drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds. Of the 60 players taken, in those two rounds, they were #1 and #2.  They could have gotten a more expensive player in the supplemental, second, and third rounds but on the other hand they could have legitimately preferred say, Anthony Servideo at #74 for $950K over Nick Garcia who went at #79 for $1.2M. I have no idea whether they did or didn't, or whether they were right or wrong in their judgments, but especially in a draft where you only end up with 6 guys, it doesn't seem absurd to end up only using 98.5 percent of their slot value.  Maybe they thought Kjerstad would take $5.5 million to sign and they negotiated it down to $5.2 million. In a normal draft you can take a couple of high school fliers in the 11-30th rounds knowing that you can only sign one play them against each other to try to get as close to your slot value as possible. This draft was unique, that wasn't an option this year. I believe they went in with a plan to go underslot on the first pick because they thought Kjerstad plus overslot guys that would cost an additional $2.5-$2.75M was more valuable than drafting Austin Martin and not getting any overslot guys. They executed that plan. Could a part of the plan have been to cap their spend at 98.5% of the slot value? Sure, but that need not have been part of the plan.
    • Yes because you aren’t even addressing the argument and what I’m saying.  You are just spouting pointless bs.  
    • If they were that cash strapped on money they could have not resigned Sanchez and let Martin play SS this season and saved 500k and no one would blinked an eye.  They could have saved on international period and still spent way more then they ever have.  This seems like a bad PR type move and so many other ways to save money.  
    • So when I question what you claim to be facts this is the response I get? Whatever Bro! Part of the problem here is that you claim to have facts backed up by absolutely nothing and I’m being impossible? Ok ...LOL
    • I don’t necessarily disagree with you; certainly I think Stewart is useless, but putting a more positive light on things, Stewart has a good eye, Mullins offers great D, Power isn’t everything, assuming Hays won’t stay healthy is only an assumption, and Diaz hasn’t even taken the field as a major leaguer. If healthy, Hays is a fine CF, Mullins remains a fine 4 OF, Stewart shouldn’t be in the OF anyway, and Diaz will get every chance to show his stuff.
    • I thought he was better his first two years then started to rely on catch phrases and homer-isms the longer his tenure went, but I'll admit to not watching many of his broadcasts the last 3 years. 
    • Lol...ok, I’m done.  You are one of the most impossible people I have encountered with in terms of having a conversation.  It’s just not worth it.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...