Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Can_of_corn

Opening Day in May?

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure why a spike in infection rates in November would impact Spring Training beginning on time in March.   It's way too early to make those kind of proclamations. Theoretically, all of the players could get vaccinated by then. 

I can see the owners not wanting to start things up until it is safe to have fans in the stands.  That is the real potential hurdle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are three vaccines, possibly four or five, if you trust the Chinese and Russians. Every factory on the world is going to be producing them. We may delay the start of spring training(only three months away) but I don’t think the season will start late. We may have distanced crowds, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this, my friends, is why Chris Davis won’t be cut this winter.   Starting in May means the O’s would save $4-6 mm off his salary, assuming the salaries are cut proportionally to games missed.   By the way, I don’t know if that is a correct assumption, because I’m not sure if the deal that MLB cut with the players for 2020 carries over into 2021 or not if games are missed.    

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I'm not sure why a spike in infection rates in November would impact Spring Training beginning on time in March.   It's way too early to make those kind of proclamations. Theoretically, all of the players could get vaccinated by then. 

I think scientists probably have a pretty good idea of how many infections there will be in March 2021 and how many people will have been vaccinated by then.   And I seriously doubt that the vaccination priorities are going to go to healthy men ages 20-40 who are not essential workers.    I agree we are getting ahead of ourselves, but teams aren’t going to be in any hurry to play games in empty stadiums.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think scientists probably have a pretty good idea of how many infections there will be in March 2021 and how many people will have been vaccinated by then.   And I seriously doubt that the vaccination priorities are going to go to healthy men ages 20-40 who are not essential workers.    I agree we are getting ahead of ourselves, but teams aren’t going to be in any hurry to play games in empty stadiums.  

Were they a priority when it came to testing earlier this year? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Were they a priority when it came to testing earlier this year? 

 

This is going to be a much more regulated process.    And it’s going to get a lot of scrutiny.   We’ll see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

And this, my friends, is why Chris Davis won’t be cut this winter.   Starting in May means the O’s would save $4-6 mm off his salary, assuming the salaries are cut proportionally to games missed.   By the way, I don’t know if that is a correct assumption, because I’m not sure if the deal that MLB cut with the players for 2020 carries over into 2021 or not if games are missed.    

I wonder if they would still be on the hook for the entire salary if they waited til after a potential announcement of a shortened season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you will be seeing “essential” workers begin to be vaccinated by Feb-March. 

December and January will be healthcare workers and the elderly but this makes up probably less than 25 percent of the population. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I'm not sure why a spike in infection rates in November would impact Spring Training beginning on time in March.   It's way too early to make those kind of proclamations. Theoretically, all of the players could get vaccinated by then. 

I can see the owners not wanting to start things up until it is safe to have fans in the stands.  That is the real potential hurdle. 

You are right. There will be baseball when profits can be made again.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, weams said:

You are right. There will be baseball when profits can be made again.

Yes they aren't going to play until there are fans in the stands.   New York and California teams will be the last places to lift restrictions.  I think May is optimistic.  I am thinking sometime in June is more realistic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I think you will be seeing “essential” workers begin to be vaccinated by Feb-March. 

December and January will be healthcare workers and the elderly but this makes up probably less than 25 percent of the population. 

Essential workers will start getting them within about 3 weeks.. Pfizer has 6 million doses ready to go as soon as FDA gives approval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 170 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...