Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

What are your expectations for Santander and Hays in 2021?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I noticed, hence the gosh.  😉

I haven't figured out your cadence yet.

I usually have a pretty good sarcasometer... you definitely have a dry wit (which I like)

But I occasionally have the "not sure if..." reaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, owknows said:

None of these things are rules.

If an opportunity presents itself you take it.

But we're not the Yankees. We can't take ALL of them.

And there was a time when the Orioles tried to be a poor imitation of that.

We're still paying for it.

We shouldn’t be paying for it.  The Davis contract doesn’t prevent this team from doing anything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sports Guy said:

We shouldn’t be paying for it.  The Davis contract doesn’t prevent this team from doing anything.  

It prevents the team from being more profitable...

And HOPEFULLY it prevents them from being rash in the future.

And Davis isn't the only costly FA mistake this team has made.

We paid upper tier dollars for lower tier arms a few times in the last decade. It adds up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, owknows said:

It prevents the team from being more profitable...

And HOPEFULLY it prevents them from being rash in the future.

And Davis isn't the only costly FA mistake this team has made.

We paid upper tier dollars for lower tier arms a few times in the last decade. It adds up

They make plenty of money.

This team had a 160M payroll not long ago.  Roughly 100m less than it will be in 2021.

Dont buy into their “poor me” attitude.  They have a boatload of money and can spend more if they want.

One or even 2 bad contracts does not stop this organization from doing anything...but it does give them an excuse they sell to the fan base who are sheep and believe what they are told.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They make plenty of money.

This team had a 160M payroll not long ago.  Roughly 100m less than it will be in 2021.

Dont buy into their “poor me” attitude.  They have a boatload of money and can spend more if they want.

One or even 2 bad contracts does not stop this organization from doing anything...but it does give them an excuse they sell to the fan base who are sheep and believe what they are told.

I enjoy talking with you...

But I'm not sure I want you for a business partner. 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, owknows said:

I enjoy talking with you...

But I'm not sure I want you for a business partner. 😋

I’m all for people making as much money as possible...but a sports franchise is different any other business.

Yes, you want to make money (and the Os are making a lot of it) but winning should be your #1 priority.  It’s not for the Angelos family.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m all for people making as much money as possible...but a sports franchise is different any other business.

Yes, you want to make money (and the Os are making a lot of it) but winning should be your #1 priority.  It’s not for the Angelos family.

 

I don't think it our place to tell someone what their priorities should be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think Hays or Santander are keys to anything.  They are role players.  They aren’t the guys you want to make up your core.

Who do you consider to be the core players from the 2012-16 teams?    I’m trying to understand your definition of “core.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sports Guy said:

I’m all for people making as much money as possible...but a sports franchise is different any other business.

Yes, you want to make money (and the Os are making a lot of it) but winning should be your #1 priority.  It’s not for the Angelos family.

 

I think the Angelos family was every bit as interested in winning as any other family.

Maybe too interested.

Maybe unable to resist the urge to try to make it happen themselves.

Since 2015 alone, the owners spent 359 million dollars on Davis, Cobb, Jimenez, Trumbo, Gallardo, Cashner, and Weiters

Maybe the owners should try a little less

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it our place to tell someone what their priorities should be. 

 

It’s absolutely my place to say it.  I’m a fan.  It’s also their right to tell me to GFY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who do you consider to be the core players from the 2012-16 teams?    I’m trying to understand your definition of “core.”

It varied by year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think the Angelos family was every bit as interested in winning as any other family.

Maybe too interested.

Maybe unable to resist the urge to try to make it happen themselves.

Since 2015 alone, the owners spent 359 million dollars on Davis, Cobb, Jimenez, Trumbo, Gallardo, Cashner, and Weiters

Maybe the owners should try a little less

I think you are fooling yourself if you actually believe that.

And stupidity is a consistent trait in how they ran things forever.  Being dumb doesn’t mean you are trying too hard.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sports Guy said:

I think you are fooling yourself if you actually believe that.

And stupidity is a consistent trait in how they ran things forever.  Being dumb doesn’t mean you are trying too hard.  

I'm pretty comfortable with my view of the world.

You obviously have some kind of personal score to settle with the Angelos family.

Whichever of them took your lunch money, I'm sure he's sorry.

But that notwithstanding, the family coughed up 359 million dollars for just these 7 FA's since 2015

That's more than the overwhelming majority of clubs.

Sorry but your "they weren't trying to win" assertion doesn't really fit the circumstances.

They tried. And failed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It varied by year.  

So pick one.    Let’s use the best team, from 2014.    Who meets your definition of “core” to that team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'm pretty comfortable with my view of the world.

You obviously have some kind of personal score to settle with the Angelos family.

Whichever of them took your lunch money, I'm sure he's sorry.

But that notwithstanding, the family coughed up 359 million dollars for just these 7 FA's since 2015

That's more than the overwhelming majority of clubs.

Sorry but your "they weren't trying to win" assertion doesn't really fit the circumstances.

They tried. And failed.

Every Os fan should have an issue with the Angelos family.  They ran this organization into the ground for 15 years and until recently, showed no regard for the Intl market, player development, scouting, etc...

And now that they are doing that, they are cheaping out in a big way only under the disguise of rebuilding because the fans buy into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • And he missed a lot of last year as well. I mean, there has only been a few years of his career and you can point to him missing chunks of each season due to injury in most years. 
    • I mostly agree with you.   By the way, Santander played 141 games between the majors and the minors in 2019 and had no time on the IL that year.    I recall that some of his missed time in 2017 seemed to be the result of the O’s manipulating his Rule 5 status, though not entirely.   In 2018 he only missed about four weeks.    He was in the minors when that season ended and didn’t get called up.   His injury history really hasn’t been that bad.   
    • If they are deemed ready.  Means, Cobb, Kremer and Akin have been deemed ready.  I am not sure about Zimmermann.   He has not spent much time at AAA and he didn't do well in the small amount of time he had in the majors.   Elias/Holt will be watching in ST.  Is he ready or does he need some more time at AAA.  Elias and Holt will be the judges. I agree this is a transition year.  Its not about winning so guys will get chances when deemed ready.  But it may not be at the beginning of the season for Zimmermann, Baumann, Lowther or Wells. But I think Tyler Wells and Sceroler have a better than average chance for the Rule 5 guys to make it as long/mid relievers.  If Holt thinks he can make them decent over the season they can increase the starter depth in 2022.   Winning does not matter in 2021.
    • I agree ...but I think the Ravens are going to rush in
    • Whether you want to do it or not is irrelevant. The point is that you control him for 4 years, so there is zero rush to get a deal done.
    • He very well could, but I don't see them making the team out of spring training unless injuries occur to the young pitchers. 2021 to me is a transition year where the young guys will get there chances.
    • 4 years?  1+option remaining years on rookie deal plus 2 franchise tags? IMO franchising him twice is a non starter.  Thats a cap hit the size of mount everest.  If you want to keep him that long you might as well just extend him now.  I think you're looking at something like 3/90+ with a full cap hit each year for the option year + 2 franchise years.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...