Sign in to follow this  
VaBird1

Orioles Agree to Deal With Severino

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s nice to get some offense out of the position but overall I agree.

Not trying to beat the Nunez drum too much here.  It sounds like I like him more than I do however, for basically the same money, I would much rather have him.  We don’t have another DH right now, if I’m assuming they will cut or bench Davis.  (Scary thing is they probably won’t).  And yes, I’m aware anyone can DH but Nunez has done it successfully and he isn’t blocking anyone by playing.

The C doesn’t matter because we can use Wynns for now and give Sisco the everyday at bats until Adley is ready.  

What this really tells me is that they have no confidence in Sisco.  They either don’t think he will hit enough, the defense isn’t good enough or both and they aren’t willing to give him a half a season (or however long it takes to get Adley up here) to find out.

I agree with everything here... it must be that they have little to no confidence in Sisco. Assuming that is correct then I would have rather had them release/non tender both of them and sign a low dollar defense first guy who could actually help the young pitchers. They could've signed a really good one for 1.8M. Wynns would be fine as a back up for now. If it is truly a gap to AR then it's a waste of money. This year (IMO) should be all about establishing the young pitchers and figuring out who will stick in the outfield. They've done a good job with the MIF defense (assuming they hang on to Sanchez and dump Alberto). I like offense as much as anybody but, to me it is a secondary concern to the pitching. 

40 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Until Rutschman is ready, there is very limited depth at catcher.   At DH there are multiple possibilities from Stewart and rotating the outfielders (Santander, Mountcastle,  Hays), and Mancini, into the spot with Mullins getting more OF time.  Also the potential of Diaz coming up.  That's why Severino gets the 1.8 and Nunez doesn't.  Simple.

I have no issue with the DH being rotated through. My issue is that Severino for 1.8M is not a good decision either from a baseball sense or a $ one. He is inconsistent offensively and defensively. You never know what you are going to get on any given day. This year should be mainly about establishing the young pichers which is primarily how the Os will be successful in the rebuild. You can get a really good defensive catcher for 1.8 and they would actually help the pitchers and not hurt them. While overall Severino's defense may be average but when he's bad... he's extremely bad. That's not a good way to support the young pitchers.  My point regards to Nunez is that the Severino decision seems inconsistent with it. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

MLBTR was projecting 1.4 but the Orioles spent more than that. Guess the O's feel he is the bridge to  AR.

I was checking to post that number. He honestly had a bad year last year, behind the plate and at the plate. But he is the best "veteran" catcher we have at the moment. I mean, do you want Sisco/Wynns all year? Some scrapheap FA/Sisco? Pedro works for now so... meh. :noidea:

8 hours ago, owknows said:

Hard to argue with this move.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are new around these parts.  😉

8 hours ago, owknows said:

That got a belly laugh

It's what we do around here in the offseason! 😛

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What this really tells me is that they have no confidence in Sisco.  They either don’t think he will hit enough, the defense isn’t good enough or both and they aren’t willing to give him a half a season (or however long it takes to get Adley up here) to find out.

Sisco’s problems are obvious.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Sisco’s problems are obvious.

Sure but that doesn’t mean you don’t play him everyday to make sure the light bulb doesn’t turn on.  He would hardly be the first player to take some time to get going and given how they have handled him and given him inconsistent at bats, it’s not surprising he has struggled.

They don’t care about winning anyway, so play the young guy and see if he start to hit like he did for his pro career.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure but that doesn’t mean you don’t play him everyday to make sure the light bulb doesn’t turn on.  He would hardly be the first player to take some time to get going and given how they have handled him and given him inconsistent at bats, it’s not surprising he has struggled.

They don’t care about winning anyway, so play the young guy and see if he start to hit like he did for his pro career.

I don’t disagree with that at all, the reason I don’t understand this decision is because as has been mentioned you could get a better catcher than Severino for less money, but mainly, on defense, which is really what we need from catcher at the moment, neither of our catchers is worthwhile. Neither of them calls a good game neither of them frames very well, neither has what it needs to help the pitching. On offense, they each have major issues. I Personally would’ve gotten rid of Sisco long time ago, but I understand why he’s still here. But then why keep Severino? It doesn’t seem to make sense.

The main thing is to help the pitching and neither of them does that.

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t disagree with that at all, the reason I don’t understand this decision is because as has been mentioned you could get a better catcher than Severino for less money, but mainly, on defense, which is really what we need from catcher at the moment, neither of our catchers is worthwhile. Neither of them calls a good game neither of them frames very well, neither has what it needs to help the pitching. On offense, they each have major issues. I Personally would’ve gotten rid of Sisco long time ago, but I understand why he’s still here. But then why keep Severino? It doesn’t seem to make sense.

The main thing is to help the pitching and neither of them does that.

Well, the pitching did improve in 2020, albeit in a much smaller sample size than normal.  I think some of that stuff is overblown for the C position and these guys could help the pitchers by hitting better than a lot of C and contributing to scoring runs.

They are all a stop gap for Adley anyway.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They are all a stop gap for Adley anyway.

Yes but the backup C needs to be outstanding on defense(Catchers who offer good offense are starters.)But neither of our current guys is a qualified backup. If AR were here now, he would still need a better backup then the two we have.

Just now, Philip said:

Yes but the backup C needs to be outstanding on defense(Catchers who offer good offense are starters.)But neither of our current guys is a qualified backup. If AR were here now, he would still need a better backup then the two we have.

I don’t think the backup NEEDS to be anything.  Why does the backup have to be outstanding on defense?  Is that in the rule books or something?

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You have Wynns..and it’s not difficult to find a catch and throw guy off of waivers.

And your DH scenario, outside of Stewart, just isn’t necessary unless you want to see Mullins play a lot, which doesn’t make any sense to me.

There is offensive upside with Severino.  He also has the potential to attain some trade value, however little.  Wynns offers very liitle.  You don't like Mullins and Stewart.  We get it.  However, replacing Nunez's AB's with Stewarts or Mullins plus Mullins ripple upgrade on defense means you probably lose very little.  You don't have to agree but this is probably Elias' reasoning and it makes sense.

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

Pedro is really bad at blocking pitches

When he gets lazy, yes. The biggest problem with Severino is not that he's doesn't block balls well, it's that he gets lazy at times behind the plate, typically in games that are not close.

He loses focus at times and can look absolutely awful, which sticks in people minds more than the nice blocks or throws he's made to help the team. 

I also believe Severino is a decent game caller. I can remember yelling at the TV over Wieters' ridiculous and easy to follow pattern of calling pitches and locations, but Severino actually calls a decent game in my opinion. 

Now, he does not receive great and his framing has always been negative runs in getting extra strikes but he sets a much better target than Sisco who always drops his glove when the pitcher begins his windup and never fully resets in the location. We all know he throws effectively so that's a plus.

Offensively, he took a step forward this year and his xwOBA (.326) was in the 62 percentile of MLB batters even though his wOBA .307 was below the MLB AVG (.317) suggesting he was a bit unlucky last year.

Overall, I think Severino is a solid bridge option until Rutschman is ready to take over then he settle in nicely as a back up. Once AR arrives though his price tag will need to come down so if Rutschman does take over this year, this is probably Severino's last year as an Oriole unless he can be resigned for a backup catcher rate.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There is offensive upside with Severino.  He also has the potential to attain some trade value, however little.  Wynns offers very liitle.  You don't like Mullins and Stewart.  We get it.  However, replacing Nunez's AB's with Stewarts or Mullins plus Mullins ripple upgrade on defense means you probably lose very little.  You don't have to agree but this is probably Elias' reasoning and it makes sense.

No, I’m actually fine with Stewart.  I would like to see him get at bats.  That happens whether Nunez is here or not though.

And again, his (along with basically everyone else involved in this discussion) injury history is poor.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, I’m actually fine with Stewart.  I would like to see him get at bats.  That happens whether Nunez is here or not though.

And again, his (along with basically everyone else involved in this discussion) injury history is poor.  

Stewart does not get AB's whether Nunez is here or not.  That's ridiculous.  Nunez would be the full time DH.  The outfield would be Mountcastle, Hays, Santander,  with Mancini at 1B.  Stewart would be getting scrub AB's assuming he even made the team which would be less likely with Nunez here.

• Upvote 2