Sign in to follow this  
VaBird1

Orioles Agree to Deal With Severino

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Stewart does not get AB's whether Nunez is here or not.  That's ridiculous.  Nunez would be the full time DH.  The outfield would be Mountcastle, Hays, Santander,  with Mancini at 1B.  Stewart would be getting scrub AB's assuming he even made the team which would be less likely with Nunez here.

Stewart can still play 3-4 days a week.

Between injuries, days off, sharing time with Nunez, etc....he gets his at bats.  He won’t get 500+ at bats but somewhere between 300-400?  Sure.

Im guessing that Mancini isn’t going to be an everyday guy right off the bat.  He will get a day or 2 off a week early on.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Stewart can still play 3-4 days a week.

Between injuries, days off, sharing time with Nunez, etc....he gets his at bats.  He won’t get 500+ at bats but somewhere between 300-400?  Sure.

Im guessing that Mancini isn’t going to be an everyday guy right off the bat.  He will get a day or 2 off a week early on.  

Mancini will play everyday.  He's either ready to play or he's not.  Why do we assume he needs rest because he would have had chemo 9 months prior?

Unless there is injury,  Stewart would be looking at 1 start per week.  If everyone was healthy he probably wouldn't even make sense as a reserve. He'd be getting everyday AB's in Norfolk as an insurance policy.

A good thing about Mancini is that, IIRC, he hits well as a DH.  So, if he does need to be eased into action, which would not surprise me, he can be productive at DH.  As noted by others, many players just don't hit as well at DH.

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mancini will play everyday.  He's either ready to play or he's not.  Why do we assume he needs rest because he would have had chemo 9 months prior?

Unless there is injury,  Stewart would be looking at 1 start per week.  If everyone was healthy he probably wouldn't even make sense as a reserve. He'd be getting everyday AB's in Norfolk as an insurance policy.

Ehh, I could see them easing Mancini in some, again just to start.  They may not but wouldn’t surprise me.

I would also be fine with DJ being in the minors to start the year but I disagree that the at bats wouldn’t be there for him.  It’s pretty simple to figure that out.  And yes, injuries are all but guaranteed to occur with the players we are talking about.

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

A good thing about Mancini is that, IIRC, he hits well as a DH.  So, if he does need to be eased into action, which would not surprise me, he can be productive at DH.  As noted by others, many players just don't hit as well at DH.

And this is the other thing no one wants to talk about.  Maybe DHing these young kids is a bad way to develop them.  People are like, just DH Hays and Mountcastle, etc...well maybe that doesn’t work well for you them.

Frobby pointed this out before but DHing isn’t for everyone and when you have a guy who does well at it, there’s nothing wrong with keeping that guy around, especially if they are really cheap.

I, for one, don’t have much interest in seeing most of those guys getting any kind of regular at bats at DH.  Stewart is the exception to that.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And this is the other thing no one wants to talk about.  Maybe DHing these young kids is a bad way to develop them.  People are like, just DH Hays and Mountcastle, etc...well maybe that doesn’t work well for you them.

Frobby pointed this out before but DHing isn’t for everyone and when you have a guy who does well at it, there’s nothing wrong with keeping that guy around, especially if they are really cheap.

I, for one, don’t have much interest in seeing most of those guys getting any kind of regular at bats at DH.  Stewart is the exception to that.

Even with players you prefer to use ay DH it doesn't always work. Mark Trumbo in his career put up a .862 OPS playing RF, .764 at 1B and only .695 at DH and Trumbo was a player suited ideally to be a DH.

34 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Yep.

In 58 games as DH, he has his highest average (.290) and 15 home runs. While in the field, he had many more games (87, 149, 182) with  lower average and only slight more home runs (20, 26, and 24).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, owknows said:

I would guess that Pedro saw the lion's share of the young, jumpy, control issue pitchers.

I think it's a little rich to blame Severino's defense last year on the pitching. He really was lazy at times.

I also think that maybe he just had a down year. Sometimes you get into bad habits. My recollection was that he had a positive defensive reputation when we brought him in originally. Hopefully he can re-focus on pitch blocking so he can prevent wild pitches and not allow passed balls. I assume the O's are hoping as much too.

With that said, I think the problem with criticism of this move is the assumption that we could get as good, or nearly as good, on the cheap (which this deal is). I'm not convinced that the total value of an available minimum salary catcher would be  comparable. I don't love Severino, but I suspect he'd be orders of magnitude better than a guy like Wynns or Sisco over a large sample size.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think the backup NEEDS to be anything.  Why does the backup have to be outstanding on defense?  Is that in the rule books or something?

I completely reject the notion that defense is all you need at any particular position, such as SS or C.    At every position, the analysis is the same: does this guy add more runs with his bat than he subtracts with his glove (or vice versa).    Derek Jeter is widely regarded a poor defensive SS but he was an excellent hitter and his teams were way better off having him than not.    Ditto Mike Piazza at C.     Those are extreme examples but there are dozens if not hundreds of other examples.    Some fans are offended by players or teams that are good with the bat but below average with the glove, but I say, whatever works.   The Dodgers were a -15.3 defensive team this year, per Fangraphs.   23rd of 30 teams.   Think their fans care?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I completely reject the notion that defense is all you need at any particular position, such as SS or C.    At every position, the analysis is the same: does this guy add more runs with his bat than he subtracts with his glove (or vice versa).    Derek Jeter is widely regarded a poor defensive SS but he was an excellent hitter and his teams were way better off having him than not.    Ditto Mike Piazza at C.     Those are extreme examples but there are dozens if not hundreds of other examples.    Some fans are offended by players or teams that are good with the bat but below average with the glove, but I say, whatever works.   The Dodgers were a -15.3 defensive team this year, per Fangraphs.   23rd of 30 teams.   Think their fans care?

I'm picturing one disgruntled Dodger fan on a Dodger message board complaining about how his joy in a WS is tainted by the team's poor defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cue @Old#5fan defending Luis Hernandez and the all-glove model of shortstop.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yea it’s annoying.  It’s like saying the lead off hitter has to be fast.

No they don’t. 

8 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I think it's a little rich to blame Severino's defense last year on the pitching. He really was lazy at times.

I also think that maybe he just had a down year. Sometimes you get into bad habits. My recollection was that he had a positive defensive reputation when we brought him in originally. Hopefully he can re-focus on pitch blocking so he can prevent wild pitches and not allow passed balls. I assume the O's are hoping as much too.

With that said, I think the problem with criticism of this move is the assumption that we could get as good, or nearly as good, on the cheap (which this deal is). I'm not convinced that the total value of an available minimum salary catcher would be  comparable. I don't love Severino, but I suspect he'd be orders of magnitude better than a guy like Wynns or Sisco over a large sample size.

Out of curiosity, why have you written off Sisco?

1 hour ago, linedrive said:

I'm guessing Elias thinks he'll be able to make a trade at some point. I think this will turn out to be a good move in the long run.

Agreed. Catcher is a position a lot of potential contenders look to bolster at the deadline, particularly because you typically need two of them.