Sign in to follow this  
VaBird1

Orioles Agree to Deal With Severino

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Why would we not?

Because he has 525 Ml at bats spanning 4 seasons.  Because he has a high walk rate and is coming off his best season OpS wise.  Because he is still relatively young and your other alternatives don’t have his offensive upside.  He absolutely should be getting a majority of the at bats right now.

He may end up nothing..it’s likely that he will but giving him space at bats is poor for his development.  

If the attitude is, we don’t care about winning, why would you not give him at bats?  

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Because he has 525 Ml at bats spanning 4 seasons.  Because he has a high walk rate and is coming off his best season OpS wise.  Because he is still relatively young and your other alternatives don’t have his offensive upside.  He absolutely should be getting a majority of the at bats right now.

He may end up nothing..it’s likely that he will but giving him space at bats is poor for his development.  

If the attitude is, we don’t care about winning, why would you not give him at bats?  

I don’t really argue with anything you said, except that he’s so bad in every way except his walk rate that if we could find somebody better, I don’t see any reason not to make the change.

edit: let me Clarify that although I personally think Sisco has shown us what he is, I have no problem keeping him until someone better comes along. 
however, the organization shouldn’t stop looking for a better catcher because they have confidence in Sisco blossoming. It shouldn’t be difficult to find a catcher that is better on defense, or if you prefer, on offense, and if you don’t care about either, a guy who at least runs faster and knows how to apply a tag. And if we do find one, it’s a simple matter to just send him down.

Edited by Philip

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I tend to agree that Sisco is not .100 worse at the big league level than he was in the minors. Seems to me that he is likely the kind of guy that you need to go with everyday. 525 ABs over for seasons means he's played sporadically at best.

Rays are looking for cheap C help.  Maybe a match here?

They do want to cut costs though.  But maybe if we took back Tsutsugo (to play third) and sent them Severino, we could net a decent prospect as well?  The net gain in terms of dollars will be 5.2M.(if a full season is played)

They have a very good farm system, so adding anyone that could be in the top 10 or just outside their top 10 would probably make it worth it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They do want to cut costs though.  But maybe if we took back Tsutsugo (to play third) and sent them Severino, we could net a decent prospect as well?  The net gain in terms of dollars will be 5.2M.(if a full season is played)

They have a very good farm system, so adding anyone that could be in the top 10 or just outside their top 10 would probably make it worth it.

Are you suggesting the O's add 5M in payroll?

I don't think that is going to happen this year.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you suggesting the O's add 5M in payroll?

I don't think that is going to happen this year.

Yea I doubt it too.  But this is the type of thing they should be looking to do for sure and if you can add what would likely be a top 10 prospect to your organization, you should do it.  Tsutsugo has some upside as well.

And btw, if they move other salary in other deals, doing something like this should be more plausible for ownership to approve.  For example, if you dealt Santander, you may only be adding a few million to the payroll, as opposed to 5M (using this deal as an example)

On 12/8/2020 at 9:43 AM, Sports Guy said:

Thinking about this, expanding this to try and get Snell Would be great.

You don’t usually see those types of moves within the division but I would look into it.  Snell represents something we don’t have and he is signed cheaply for the next 3 years.

Perhaps by taking Tsutsugo, you can get Snell for a little less.  I would make DL Hall the centerpiece to the deal.  Hall and Severino going to the Rays..Orioles send back a few more players.  Those guys could come from the ML (a cost controlled, cheaper player(s)) and/or prospects we would have in the 8-15 range or so.

Or, perhaps we don’t need to include really anyone else if we take on the Tsutsugo deal.  Or maybe Hall wouldn’t need to be included and we could work without him or any of the other top guys included.

I think a lot of possibilities exist there and I feel the Os should be open to many of them.  It’s apparent the team isn’t going to spend high picks on pitching (which I’m good with).  So, to nab that TOR type guy, we may have to trade for it.  Snell is an excellent target for many reasons.

The catcher market may be one we are in.   The post-McCann report was the Angels were the ones saying "Awww", and now there's a Kurt Suzuki report for them.

So at least the Angels, Rays and Phillies/Mets Realmuto loser will have Zunino, Suzuki, Castro, etc. to sift.

Warts and all, Severino and Sisco might be among the best 20-35 near 1st string catching options (pretty much everything beyond the Top 5 or so is some kind of 66/33 job share.

It wouldn't shock me if by the end of the offseason Severino (more likely) became an Iglesias bookend.  And its entertaining the Angels in that mix again - while waiting out '21, Bundy, Iglesias and maybe a catcher too being bit parts of the Trout Supporting Cast trying to get him to October is a reasonable backup plan (though even Career Year Bundy didn't get them far in '20)

On 12/5/2020 at 7:35 AM, Sports Guy said:

I agree! We know what Severino is and it is not good. Time to find out what Sisco is. Give him 5 starts a week and see what happens.