Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LookinUp

Jose Iglesias traded to Angels.

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see why Mullins deserves significant at bats.  Maybe if guys are hurt or underperforming but the plan going into 2021 shouldn’t be that he gets real playing time.

By the AS break, I am hoping that this is what we see an OF if Diaz, Hays and Santander and an IF/DH situation that has Adley, Mountcastle and Mancini playing everyday. 
 

Combine that with more guys up for the Pitching staff and things really start to get exciting imo.

I think this is best scenario for the team if all of the players were ready and productive. Outside of Mancini, these are the guys the Orioles hope are part of a winning future. Mullins is best fit for as a 4th outfielder against right-handed pitching and Stewart is a DH who will need to really produce with the bat to have value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Diaz, I really think his major league equation is quite simple. When there is everyday playing time available in the corner outfield or DH spot at the major league level and Diaz is playing effectively in AAA, he's going to get the call. I don't think there is any magic OPS number he must meet to get promoted. Now if he's killing it in AAA and a guy is under performing, then I can see him forcing his way up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m trying to figure out your argument here And I’m having trouble with it because you seem to be bouncing around from idea to idea, even within the same post.

If Diaz and Rutschman perform well at the high levels of the minors and are healthy, would you still keep them down in 2021?  If so, when would you actually bring them up? 

So neither has performed at an advanced level that screams I'm ready! Neither has played a single competitive game in 2020. For those reasons alone they wouldn't be called up to play for the 100 game loser Elias is assembling. No sense to start the clock. I think I've been pretty consistent that I want them to have a full season of high performance. As I have stated , I'd start Diaz at AA and AR at Frederick or whatever location our A+ team exists in 2021. I'd give them 250 ABs at the 1st level if they excel I'd move them 1 level up and if they excel I'd bring them up for a taste when the roster expands. Diaz probably plays on the team in 2022 and depending on how he does AR can start at AAA to preserve another season unless we appear to be contenders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think this is best scenario for the team if all of the players were ready and productive. Outside of Mancini, these are the guys the Orioles hope are part of a winning future. Mullins is best fit for as a 4th outfielder against right-handed pitching and Stewart is a DH who will need to really produce with the bat to have value.

Do you have a preference on who is the DH and who plays first?

I kind of want the younger player to be in the field.  Figure it may help with his focus.  Not as concerned about that with Mancini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

So neither has performed at an advanced level that screams I'm ready! Neither has played a single competitive game in 2020. For those reasons alone they wouldn't be called up to play for the 100 game loser Elias is assembling. No sense to start the clock. I think I've been pretty consistent that I want them to have a full season of high performance. As I have stated , I'd start Diaz at AA and AR at Frederick or whatever location our A+ team exists in 2021. I'd give them 250 ABs at the 1st level if they excel I'd move them 1 level up and if they excel I'd bring them up for a taste when the roster expands. Diaz probably plays on the team in 2022 and depending on how he does AR can start at AAA to preserve another season unless we appear to be contenders

Ok..but again, the idea that they haven’t performed means nothing to this conversation.  So please, stop mentioning it. 
 

The question is, IF THEY PERFORM WELL and stay healthy in the upper levels of the 2021 season, would you still keep them in the minors?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you have a preference on who is the DH and who plays first?

I kind of want the younger player to be in the field.  Figure it may help with his focus.  Not as concerned about that with Mancini.

I'd rather see Stewart at DH while the outfield starts off with Mountcastle, Hays and Santander. Mancini for me is the 1B if he's healthy.

The best defensive outfielder the Orioles can put out there is Hays in LF, Mullins in CF, and Santander in RF. If Mancini is not ready, Id go with that with Mountcastle moving to 1B and Stewart still at DH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd rather see Stewart at DH while the outfield starts off with Mountcastle, Hays and Santander. Mancini for me is the 1B if he's healthy.

The best defensive outfielder the Orioles can put out there is Hays in LF, Mullins in CF, and Santander in RF. If Mancini is not ready, Id go with that with Mountcastle moving to 1B and Stewart still at DH.

I mean when Diaz is up and starting and assuming health of the other others.
 

Either Mountcastle or Mancini will be at first and the other DH’ing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

You are missing the point of RZs question.

You stated that Diaz should have at least an 850 OPs before he is brought up.  Mancini had a far lower OPS than that and was also on a bad team. 
 

So, do you think it was a bad move to bring up Mancini when they did?  It’s a simple question based on the backdrop you have provided with your personal reasoning on when someone should be brought up.

Based on what you have said, the answer should be a resounding no?

Different Regime .... The O's including Showalter had pipedreams of contending! Elias is still subtracting and making no qualms about where they are in the process. Look ...I get you guys dont care about the clock.... I'm sure ME does!

I said I would send Diaz to AA and ask me to give me those results. He's never played a game at AAA and he missed all of 2020 like most minor leaguers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..I give up.  No need to answer anymore Roll Tide.  

My handle is Sports Guy " I'm Right I'm Right .... Nobody can beat me & If I can't beat you I'll just throw an insult!"    Mix-Repeat-Mix-Repeat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

My handle is Sports Guy " I'm Right I'm Right .... Nobody can beat me & If I can't beat you I'll just throw an insult!"    Mix-Repeat-Mix-Repeat!

I’m not insulting you at all.  You just aren’t answering any of the questions and it’s a waste of my time continue to ask you the same questions over and over again.  RZ has asked you and I have asked you and you still haven’t answered it.  You just aren’t comprehending what we are asking, so it’s not worth going any further.

But sure, if you want to take that as Sports Guy is always right, be my guest...it goes along with the rest of your reading comprehension in this thread.(and pretty much all threads)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Different Regime .... The O's including Showalter had pipedreams of contending! Elias is still subtracting and making no qualms about where they are in the process. Look ...I get you guys dont care about the clock.... I'm sure ME does!

I said I would send Diaz to AA and ask me to give me those results. He's never played a game at AAA and he missed all of 2020 like most minor leaguers

Again, you are making it clear that you do not consider anything that happened at Bowie in 2020 to matter.  From what I have read, the Orioles strongly disagree with you.  Maybe you are right and the Orioles will ignore what they saw in 2020 and place everyone at their 2019 levels, but I would tend to doubt that.  Mountcastle's promotion would seem to be solid evidence of the Orioles' view of the level of growth and learning that went on at Bowie.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

As for Diaz, I really think his major league equation is quite simple. When there is everyday playing time available in the corner outfield or DH spot at the major league level and Diaz is playing effectively in AAA, he's going to get the call. I don't think there is any magic OPS number he must meet to get promoted. Now if he's killing it in AAA and a guy is under performing, then I can see him forcing his way up. 

Can you humor me and define playing effectively at AAA with some sort of range?

I don't think .262 batting at AA in 2019 and a year with no competitive ball screams I'm ready. The guy has been 20-30ISH points better in regards to AVG/OBP/SLG earlier in his progression. I'd like to see him hit .280+/.350+/and 850ish at AA. Maybe he's not capable but I think he is and would like to see the Orioles start promoting guys when they prove they are ready and not as acts of desperation. Would I promote him if there was a need and he was hitting .270/.335/.825? Sure .... Lower than that I wouldn't want to! Part of the Orioles problem is that they had a pattern of low OBP guys. So I want to see Elias to focus on complete hitters. I love homeruns as much as the next guy but hated watching our guys unable to produce runs any other way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Can you humor me and define playing effectively at AAA with some sort of range?

I don't think .262 batting at AA in 2019 and a year with no competitive ball screams I'm ready. The guy has been 20-30ISH points better in regards to AVG/OBP/SLG earlier in his progression. I'd like to see him hit .280+/.350+/and 850ish at AA. Maybe he's not capable but I think he is and would like to see the Orioles start promoting guys when they prove they are ready and not as acts of desperation. Would I promote him if there was a need and he was hitting .270/.335/.825? Sure .... Lower than that I wouldn't want to! Part of the Orioles problem is that they had a pattern of low OBP guys. So I want to see Elias to focus on complete hitters. I love homeruns as much as the next guy but hated watching our guys unable to produce runs any other way.

You don't think it would be shortsighted to rely on traditional counting stats to determine if a player is worthy of promotion?

why even have an analytics department?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Yeah, I think I’ll wait more than one game before making judgments.    In any event, what’s important to me is that Rutschman becomes a very good player.   If he is, but someone else turns out to be a little bit better, I’ll live with it.       
    • This kid got a lot of hype from Matt Blood and others during the offseason.   He lived up to it in his first outing at Bowie today: 4.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K’s.  47 of 72 pitches for strikes.  
    • Louisville beat Vanderbilt on Tuesday. Henry Davis went 2-4 with a HR. He's now hitting .403/.520/.683 with 10 HR, 9 2B, 38 RBI, 29 walks and 15 strikeouts. He's also stolen 10 bases in 12 attempts. Callis just did an updated mock draft. Here's the top 6: 1. Pirates: Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit Prep (Dallas) As a five-tool high school shortstop from the Dallas area, Lawlar draws comparisons to Bobby Witt Jr. (No. 2 to the Royals in 2019), who had louder tools but a less polished bat at the same stage of their careers.   2. Rangers: Jack Leiter, RHP, Vanderbilt After taking college baseball by storm with a no-hitter in his first Southeastern Conference start and seven no-hit innings in his second, Leiter has surrendered eight homers in the last three weeks as scouts wonder how he'll hold up under by far the biggest workload he's ever had. 3. Tigers: Marcelo Mayer, SS, Eastlake HS (Chula Vista, Calif.) He might be relatively anonymous compared to the other top-tier talents, but Mayer has the upside of a Corey Seager bat with a Brandon Crawford glove. 4. Red Sox: Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vanderbilt Rocker's velocity dipped into the low 90s for three weeks early in the season but the Draft's most physical pitcher has performed consistently well and outperformed Leiter. 6. D-backs: Henry Davis, C, Louisville In a down year for college bats, Davis is perhaps the only preseason projected first-rounder in that group to exceed expectations, batting .403/.520/.683 with more walks (29) and extra-base hits (19) than strikeouts (15) while continuing to display plus-plus arm strength. https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-draft-2021-may-5?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage  
    • I just got through MLB Network's coverage, and they had a Brad Radke 27-for-28 graphic.    The first pitch strikes were a fantastic part of the whole performance!
    • Career OPS is .733, with a .778 last year and he's posting a .653.   OPS+ is 86 compared to 94 career. Rfield of -2 indicates below average fielding, total  bWAR of 0.1 suggested he just slightly above replacement level.  Its still early, he does pass the eye test for me and has been pretty good situation hitter, but if those #s hold its disappointing for any FA 3B even one we signed for only $800k. 
    • Will this be replayed on Masn tonight?   If anyone knows?    Work got in the way today and I completely forgot a game was on.   My buddy messaged me in the 9th.   But it was too late.   Regardless, so happy for Means and the O’s!
    • I want to know why it was a wild pitch instead of a passed ball. I watch that play several times and there’s no way it should’ve gotten away from Severino.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...