Sign in to follow this  
LookinUp

Jose Iglesias traded to Angels.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see why Mullins deserves significant at bats.  Maybe if guys are hurt or underperforming but the plan going into 2021 shouldn’t be that he gets real playing time.

By the AS break, I am hoping that this is what we see an OF if Diaz, Hays and Santander and an IF/DH situation that has Adley, Mountcastle and Mancini playing everyday. 

Combine that with more guys up for the Pitching staff and things really start to get exciting imo.

I think this is best scenario for the team if all of the players were ready and productive. Outside of Mancini, these are the guys the Orioles hope are part of a winning future. Mullins is best fit for as a 4th outfielder against right-handed pitching and Stewart is a DH who will need to really produce with the bat to have value.

As for Diaz, I really think his major league equation is quite simple. When there is everyday playing time available in the corner outfield or DH spot at the major league level and Diaz is playing effectively in AAA, he's going to get the call. I don't think there is any magic OPS number he must meet to get promoted. Now if he's killing it in AAA and a guy is under performing, then I can see him forcing his way up. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m trying to figure out your argument here And I’m having trouble with it because you seem to be bouncing around from idea to idea, even within the same post.

If Diaz and Rutschman perform well at the high levels of the minors and are healthy, would you still keep them down in 2021?  If so, when would you actually bring them up? 

So neither has performed at an advanced level that screams I'm ready! Neither has played a single competitive game in 2020. For those reasons alone they wouldn't be called up to play for the 100 game loser Elias is assembling. No sense to start the clock. I think I've been pretty consistent that I want them to have a full season of high performance. As I have stated , I'd start Diaz at AA and AR at Frederick or whatever location our A+ team exists in 2021. I'd give them 250 ABs at the 1st level if they excel I'd move them 1 level up and if they excel I'd bring them up for a taste when the roster expands. Diaz probably plays on the team in 2022 and depending on how he does AR can start at AAA to preserve another season unless we appear to be contenders

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think this is best scenario for the team if all of the players were ready and productive. Outside of Mancini, these are the guys the Orioles hope are part of a winning future. Mullins is best fit for as a 4th outfielder against right-handed pitching and Stewart is a DH who will need to really produce with the bat to have value.

Do you have a preference on who is the DH and who plays first?

I kind of want the younger player to be in the field.  Figure it may help with his focus.  Not as concerned about that with Mancini.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

So neither has performed at an advanced level that screams I'm ready! Neither has played a single competitive game in 2020. For those reasons alone they wouldn't be called up to play for the 100 game loser Elias is assembling. No sense to start the clock. I think I've been pretty consistent that I want them to have a full season of high performance. As I have stated , I'd start Diaz at AA and AR at Frederick or whatever location our A+ team exists in 2021. I'd give them 250 ABs at the 1st level if they excel I'd move them 1 level up and if they excel I'd bring them up for a taste when the roster expands. Diaz probably plays on the team in 2022 and depending on how he does AR can start at AAA to preserve another season unless we appear to be contenders

Ok..but again, the idea that they haven’t performed means nothing to this conversation.  So please, stop mentioning it. 

The question is, IF THEY PERFORM WELL and stay healthy in the upper levels of the 2021 season, would you still keep them in the minors?  

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you have a preference on who is the DH and who plays first?

I kind of want the younger player to be in the field.  Figure it may help with his focus.  Not as concerned about that with Mancini.

I'd rather see Stewart at DH while the outfield starts off with Mountcastle, Hays and Santander. Mancini for me is the 1B if he's healthy.

The best defensive outfielder the Orioles can put out there is Hays in LF, Mullins in CF, and Santander in RF. If Mancini is not ready, Id go with that with Mountcastle moving to 1B and Stewart still at DH.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd rather see Stewart at DH while the outfield starts off with Mountcastle, Hays and Santander. Mancini for me is the 1B if he's healthy.

The best defensive outfielder the Orioles can put out there is Hays in LF, Mullins in CF, and Santander in RF. If Mancini is not ready, Id go with that with Mountcastle moving to 1B and Stewart still at DH.

I mean when Diaz is up and starting and assuming health of the other others.

Either Mountcastle or Mancini will be at first and the other DH’ing.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

You are missing the point of RZs question.

You stated that Diaz should have at least an 850 OPs before he is brought up.  Mancini had a far lower OPS than that and was also on a bad team. 

So, do you think it was a bad move to bring up Mancini when they did?  It’s a simple question based on the backdrop you have provided with your personal reasoning on when someone should be brought up.

Based on what you have said, the answer should be a resounding no?

Different Regime .... The O's including Showalter had pipedreams of contending! Elias is still subtracting and making no qualms about where they are in the process. Look ...I get you guys dont care about the clock.... I'm sure ME does!

I said I would send Diaz to AA and ask me to give me those results. He's never played a game at AAA and he missed all of 2020 like most minor leaguers

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..I give up.  No need to answer anymore Roll Tide.  

My handle is Sports Guy " I'm Right I'm Right .... Nobody can beat me & If I can't beat you I'll just throw an insult!"    Mix-Repeat-Mix-Repeat!

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

My handle is Sports Guy " I'm Right I'm Right .... Nobody can beat me & If I can't beat you I'll just throw an insult!"    Mix-Repeat-Mix-Repeat!

I’m not insulting you at all.  You just aren’t answering any of the questions and it’s a waste of my time continue to ask you the same questions over and over again.  RZ has asked you and I have asked you and you still haven’t answered it.  You just aren’t comprehending what we are asking, so it’s not worth going any further.

But sure, if you want to take that as Sports Guy is always right, be my guest...it goes along with the rest of your reading comprehension in this thread.(and pretty much all threads)

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Different Regime .... The O's including Showalter had pipedreams of contending! Elias is still subtracting and making no qualms about where they are in the process. Look ...I get you guys dont care about the clock.... I'm sure ME does!

I said I would send Diaz to AA and ask me to give me those results. He's never played a game at AAA and he missed all of 2020 like most minor leaguers

Again, you are making it clear that you do not consider anything that happened at Bowie in 2020 to matter.  From what I have read, the Orioles strongly disagree with you.  Maybe you are right and the Orioles will ignore what they saw in 2020 and place everyone at their 2019 levels, but I would tend to doubt that.  Mountcastle's promotion would seem to be solid evidence of the Orioles' view of the level of growth and learning that went on at Bowie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

As for Diaz, I really think his major league equation is quite simple. When there is everyday playing time available in the corner outfield or DH spot at the major league level and Diaz is playing effectively in AAA, he's going to get the call. I don't think there is any magic OPS number he must meet to get promoted. Now if he's killing it in AAA and a guy is under performing, then I can see him forcing his way up. 

Can you humor me and define playing effectively at AAA with some sort of range?

I don't think .262 batting at AA in 2019 and a year with no competitive ball screams I'm ready. The guy has been 20-30ISH points better in regards to AVG/OBP/SLG earlier in his progression. I'd like to see him hit .280+/.350+/and 850ish at AA. Maybe he's not capable but I think he is and would like to see the Orioles start promoting guys when they prove they are ready and not as acts of desperation. Would I promote him if there was a need and he was hitting .270/.335/.825? Sure .... Lower than that I wouldn't want to! Part of the Orioles problem is that they had a pattern of low OBP guys. So I want to see Elias to focus on complete hitters. I love homeruns as much as the next guy but hated watching our guys unable to produce runs any other way.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Can you humor me and define playing effectively at AAA with some sort of range?

I don't think .262 batting at AA in 2019 and a year with no competitive ball screams I'm ready. The guy has been 20-30ISH points better in regards to AVG/OBP/SLG earlier in his progression. I'd like to see him hit .280+/.350+/and 850ish at AA. Maybe he's not capable but I think he is and would like to see the Orioles start promoting guys when they prove they are ready and not as acts of desperation. Would I promote him if there was a need and he was hitting .270/.335/.825? Sure .... Lower than that I wouldn't want to! Part of the Orioles problem is that they had a pattern of low OBP guys. So I want to see Elias to focus on complete hitters. I love homeruns as much as the next guy but hated watching our guys unable to produce runs any other way.

You don't think it would be shortsighted to rely on traditional counting stats to determine if a player is worthy of promotion?

why even have an analytics department?

• Upvote 1