Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LookinUp

Jose Iglesias traded to Angels.

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wish we would’ve just taken the money we paid Iglesias(2.5 million), and just given it to prospect from the Dominican. We would’ve likely gotten back a player better than a barely top 30 prospect/low ceiling prospect. 

Remember, you can't just throw money at these impoverished 16 year olds.  You have to build a relationship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wish we would’ve just taken the money we paid Iglesias(2.5 million), and just given it to prospect from the Dominican. We would’ve likely gotten back a player better than a barely top 30 prospect/low ceiling prospect. 

We didn’t have that option.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We didn’t have that option.  

Well, we aren't paying that 3.5 million this year, so maybe we are about too.  At least the more we spend there you can consider it the case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/12/iglesias-baltimore-was-special-for-me.html?fbclid=IwAR11KZvra2Wak7K5eaG66_9QAFDNSU0KEjrrXNGfe_VaIp7htEIEfZIyvZA
 

Interview with Jose post-trade. A good reminder that these guys are human, and moreover, an encouraging sign that he says he absolutely loved the atmosphere and culture Hyde et. al have created in the clubhouse. 
 

Best of luck to Jose! Seems like a cool dude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2020 at 4:42 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Wish we would’ve just taken the money we paid Iglesias(2.5 million), and just given it to prospect from the Dominican. We would’ve likely gotten back a player better than a barely top 30 prospect/low ceiling prospect. 

I don't believe we have $2.5-$3.5 million left over in the international player pool. In other words, we're already putting that money into those players, which is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This kind of trade makes me wonder if it's time to give up on baseball. Baseball has major problems with such a disparity in payrolls. It's very discouraging that we can't keep a player with a very modest salary in baseball terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, orioles22 said:

This kind of trade makes me wonder if it's time to give up on baseball. Baseball has major problems with such a disparity in payrolls. It's very discouraging that we can't keep a player with a very modest salary in baseball terms.

It’s just what happens during a rebuild

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, joelala said:

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/12/iglesias-baltimore-was-special-for-me.html?fbclid=IwAR11KZvra2Wak7K5eaG66_9QAFDNSU0KEjrrXNGfe_VaIp7htEIEfZIyvZA
 

Interview with Jose post-trade. A good reminder that these guys are human, and moreover, an encouraging sign that he says he absolutely loved the atmosphere and culture Hyde et. al have created in the clubhouse. 
 

Best of luck to Jose! Seems like a cool dude. 

He’s a class act.   I hope he kicks ass for the Angels.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, joelala said:

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/12/iglesias-baltimore-was-special-for-me.html?fbclid=IwAR11KZvra2Wak7K5eaG66_9QAFDNSU0KEjrrXNGfe_VaIp7htEIEfZIyvZA
 

Interview with Jose post-trade. A good reminder that these guys are human, and moreover, an encouraging sign that he says he absolutely loved the atmosphere and culture Hyde et. al have created in the clubhouse. 
 

Best of luck to Jose! Seems like a cool dude. 

I hope Hyde gets this team winning soon so they don’t fire him.  I think he has a lot of managerial talent.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I hope Hyde gets this team winning soon so they don’t fire him.  I think he has a lot of managerial talent.

Winning?  After they decided that 3.5 million was too much to keep Iglesias?  Either that, or they were afraid Iglesias was going to help them win too many games.  Or both.  Cue to Dr. McCoy:  "Dammit Jim, I'm a manager; not the world's greatest magician!".   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Winning?  After they decided that 3.5 million was too much to keep Iglesias?  Either that, or they were afraid Iglesias was going to help them win too many games.  Or both.  Cue to Dr. McCoy:  "Dammit Jim, I'm a manager; not the world's greatest magician!".   

I think they decided that Iglesias isn’t really that good and that they can get a similar player for less money and bring talent into the system.  This trade was fine from a pure baseball perspective.

However, as you eluded to, the idea that money is an issue here and that ownership basically forced this decision is what is sad.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I hope Hyde gets this team winning soon so they don’t fire him.  I think he has a lot of managerial talent.

He is in position to try things out and learn with little to no pressure.  It's not a bad way to start your coaching career.  Whether here or elsewhere people will know not to judge him on his record. 

Knowing he hasn't been given much to work with and intended tank, they better be judging him based on implementing "the plan" vs pretty much anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jerios55 said:

He is in position to try things out and learn with little to no pressure.  It's not a bad way to start your coaching career.  Whether here or elsewhere people will know not to judge him on his record. 

Knowing he hasn't been given much to work with and intended tank, they better be judging him based on implementing "the plan" vs pretty much anything else.

You would hope.  Current ownership is getting everything they need to out of Hyde and Elias.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You would hope.  Current ownership is getting everything they need to out of Hyde and Elias.  

Cheap everything, while maintaining a good attitude? 

Honestly, Hyde maintaining the positive attitude alone is a magnificent accomplishment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think they decided that Iglesias isn’t really that good and that they can get a similar player for less money and bring talent into the system.  This trade was fine from a pure baseball perspective.

However, as you eluded to, the idea that money is an issue here and that ownership basically forced this decision is what is sad.

I think they decided adding to their stable of minor league pitchers was more important than having Iglesias.   Simple as that.   Elias is bringing in a ton of prospects and hoping that some develop well.   The more there are, the better the chances.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I don't think we are going to convince one another which is fine. If they placed values on certain players, they could certainly end up "accidentally" saving $222K over the course of a 5 round draft. Especially when their plan was to sign their first pick for significantly less than slot value. There is something of an information gap when drafting in the Majors. Teams don't know exactly what it is going to take to sign every single player, there is uncertainty as to which players will be available in future rounds, and they could reasonably think that a player that costs less to sign is better than a player who might cost more to sign. Coby Mayo and Carter Baumler were the highest paid players drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds. Of the 60 players taken, in those two rounds, they were #1 and #2.  They could have gotten a more expensive player in the supplemental, second, and third rounds but on the other hand they could have legitimately preferred say, Anthony Servideo at #74 for $950K over Nick Garcia who went at #79 for $1.2M. I have no idea whether they did or didn't, or whether they were right or wrong in their judgments, but especially in a draft where you only end up with 6 guys, it doesn't seem absurd to end up only using 98.5 percent of their slot value.  Maybe they thought Kjerstad would take $5.5 million to sign and they negotiated it down to $5.2 million. In a normal draft you can take a couple of high school fliers in the 11-30th rounds knowing that you can only sign one play them against each other to try to get as close to your slot value as possible. This draft was unique, that wasn't an option this year. I believe they went in with a plan to go underslot on the first pick because they thought Kjerstad plus overslot guys that would cost an additional $2.5-$2.75M was more valuable than drafting Austin Martin and not getting any overslot guys. They executed that plan. Could a part of the plan have been to cap their spend at 98.5% of the slot value? Sure, but that need not have been part of the plan.
    • Yes because you aren’t even addressing the argument and what I’m saying.  You are just spouting pointless bs.  
    • If they were that cash strapped on money they could have not resigned Sanchez and let Martin play SS this season and saved 500k and no one would blinked an eye.  They could have saved on international period and still spent way more then they ever have.  This seems like a bad PR type move and so many other ways to save money.  
    • So when I question what you claim to be facts this is the response I get? Whatever Bro! Part of the problem here is that you claim to have facts backed up by absolutely nothing and I’m being impossible? Ok ...LOL
    • I don’t necessarily disagree with you; certainly I think Stewart is useless, but putting a more positive light on things, Stewart has a good eye, Mullins offers great D, Power isn’t everything, assuming Hays won’t stay healthy is only an assumption, and Diaz hasn’t even taken the field as a major leaguer. If healthy, Hays is a fine CF, Mullins remains a fine 4 OF, Stewart shouldn’t be in the OF anyway, and Diaz will get every chance to show his stuff.
    • I thought he was better his first two years then started to rely on catch phrases and homer-isms the longer his tenure went, but I'll admit to not watching many of his broadcasts the last 3 years. 
    • Lol...ok, I’m done.  You are one of the most impossible people I have encountered with in terms of having a conversation.  It’s just not worth it.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...