Sign in to follow this  
LookinUp

Jose Iglesias traded to Angels.

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

But I think ownership said cut more costs somewhere.

I am not smart enough to know what Mike Elias may think or want to do. I suspect ownership shared the dire financial circumstances with him. It appears Mike may have chosen to keep his dream team together forgoing additional wins in a partial season. 

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Something like 5 of the top 7 guys picked were pitchers coming off TJ surgery.    That was interesting.

As to preferring pitchers of a certain type, I don’t mind it, so long as you can find enough quality candidates of that type.   

I don’t see how you be ok with that.  It makes zero sense.  Not every pitcher fits a certain mold.  Some are successful with lesser stuff.  Some can be small in stature but also still great.  Some may have a crappy CB and a poor spin rate but has outside control and command of other pitches and are successes.

Its one thing to say I desire a certain type.  That’s fair.  But results matter.  If you start getting rid of guys because they don’t conform to your ideals, you likely miss out on a lot of talent.

Bill Belicheck is a great coach because he adapts year to year and game to game.  One week his team runs the  ball, the next week they throw it.  Whatever the team is weakest at, he exploits it.  Whatever they are good at, he focuses on it and tries to stop it.  He doesn’t say, my team does this well, so we either win or lose this way.  Most coaches don’t do that.  It’s their way or the highway.  BB says, F that, I will adapt.  It’s the same principle here.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see how you be ok with that.  It makes zero sense.  Not every pitcher fits a certain mold.  Some are successful with lesser stuff.  Some can be small in stature but also still great.  Some may have a crappy CB and a poor spin rate but has outside control and command of other pitches and are successes.

Its one thing to say I desire a certain type.  That’s fair.  But results matter.  If you start getting rid of guys because they don’t conform to your ideals, you likely miss out on a lot of talent.

Bill Belicheck is a great coach because he adapts year to year and game to game.  One week his team runs the  ball, the next week they throw it.  Whatever the team is weakest at, he exploits it.  Whatever they are good at, he focuses on it and tries to stop it.  He doesn’t say, my team does this well, so we either win or lose this way.  Most coaches don’t do that.  It’s their way or the highway.  BB says, F that, I will adapt.  It’s the same principle here.  

It reminds me of when Dan overvalued ground ball pitchers.

• Upvote 1

As a fan since 1971, it seems kind of hopeless if we can't afford a contract like the one Iglesias had. I am incredibly tired of hearing about money. I had accepted we were rebuilding, but this looks like it was about money. Sell the team to someone who can afford to compete.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:05 PM, Sports Guy said:

You're talking about Minor League performance though. The competition gets significantly as you go from AA to the AL East. If you hitch your wagon to a bunch of Alex Wells types, your overall success rate will be lower.

That's the point of the metrics. Of course they don't want to miss out on atypical success types but, over large samples, they want to hit on the highest percent as possible. The analytics drives us in that direction. You just hope you can find the edge cases too.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:08 PM, Can_of_corn said:

It reminds me of when Dan overvalued ground ball pitchers.

I think there is value in avoiding guys that are wild and erratic.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea, it would suck to end up with Randy Johnson!

I'm not saying it to be smart. Johnson's walk rates were out of whack from 88-92, after that it was 1 every 3 or so innings. A 6'10" pitcher with the fastball he had can cover up a lot of imperfections. There arent a lot of those guys around

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm not saying it to be smart. Johnson's walk rates were out of whack from 88-92, after that it was 1 every 3 or so innings. A 6'10" pitcher with the fastball he had can cover up a lot of imperfections. There arent a lot of those guys around

Ok but you said to avoid those guys.  No, you don’t avoid them.  

Im not saying they should be at the top of your list but you look forward talent in all forms and you trust your development process to get the most out of these guys.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok but you said to avoid those guys.  No, you don’t avoid them.  

Im not saying they should be at the top of your list but you look forward talent in all forms and you trust your development process to get the most out of these guys.

I just seem to remember lots of guys over the last 10 years that would come in in a crucial moment and walk the 1st hitter

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I just seem to remember lots of guys over the last 10 years that would come in in a crucial moment and walk the 1st hitter

Yea and I bet fans of every team can remember the same thing.