Jump to content
weams

Orioles Lose Zach Pop and Grey Fenter in Rule Five

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Jose Batista went through 4 teams when he was rule 5.  Orioles, Royals, Rays then back to Pirates.

Actually Bautista and Tony Batista 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just enough to be returned.  Then he can be awesome. 

While I don't like to root for anyone to fail, I agree with Frobby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Number5 said:

Actually, once he clears waivers he is offered back to us for $50K.  The original team is not required to take him back, although they do most of the time.

Heads would explode.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just enough to be returned.  Then he can be awesome. 

Hopefully just not ready and Marlins can't/don't remain patient.  If returned we could give him the needed time in the minors, which is generally a one of the bigger challenges for Rule V guys making the jump. 

Most I've seen that stick spend some time the following year in the minors after a team can do it.  (Or sooner for rehab like the O's did a bit with Santander).  That would be my biggest concern, that he has arm soreness and they play a injured list game to limit his roster space eating time and find a way to keep him anyway.  Again, time will tell.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Hopefully just not ready and Marlins can't/don't remain patient.  If returned we could give him the needed time in the minors, which is generally a one of the bigger challenges for Rule V guys making the jump. 

Most I've seen that stick spend some time the following year in the minors after a team can do it.  (Or sooner for rehab like the O's did a bit with Santander).  That would be my biggest concern, that he has arm soreness and they play a injured list game to limit his roster space eating time and find a way to keep him anyway.  Again, time will tell.

He needs to spend 90 days on the active roster for them to keep him.  Time on the IL does not count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Heads would explode.

 

Instead of bringing him back, I could totally see the O's agreeing to trade Pop to the Marlins for an 18 yr old Dominican prospect.  At least Moose would then be happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He needs to spend 90 days on the active roster for them to keep him.  Time on the IL does not count.

Yes, which is less than a full season and how it happened with Santander.  He needed like 15 more days come the following year before he could be sent down. 

My point is simply that they can find ways to get that roster spot for a decent part of the year if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he didn’t stick with the Marlins, wouldn’t every team in the National League have to pass on making a waiver claim before we even get a chance to claim him ourselves? Or take a chance that nobody in the AL claims him and get him offered back in the traditional sense? Could Miami trade him back to us as a Rule V? Seems to me the chances of him coming back are slim at best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

If he didn’t stick with the Marlins, wouldn’t every team in the National League have to pass on making a waiver claim before we even get a chance to claim him ourselves? Or take a chance that nobody in the AL claims him and get him offered back in the traditional sense? Could Miami trade him back to us as a Rule V? Seems to me the chances of him coming back are slim at best. 

If someone else claimed him they would have to keep him on the roster all year, as if they'd drafted him in the Rule 5 themselves.  So it's pretty common to have someone returned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If someone else claimed him they would have to keep him on the roster all year, as if they'd drafted him in the Rule 5 themselves.  So it's pretty common to have someone returned.

Of course, but he’d have to really bomb with Miami for no other team to stash him away after what he showed in ST. He’s not nearly as much of a project as most Rule V guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Of course, but he’d have to really bomb with Miami for no other team to stash him away after what he showed in ST. He’s not nearly as much of a project as most Rule V guys. 

No, not really.   For a team to claim him that have to have space on the 26 man roster or be willing to DFA someone.   He now has an ERA of 27.00 so contenders will probably not be interested.   Teams that are not trying to win are the ones that might be interested, but that ERA may indicate to them that he will be hard to keep on the roster for any length of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

All of a sudden it looks like we didn't necessarily "lose" Pop, now did we? 

Sounds like you and Wildcard are on the same page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't necessarily think one game is going to change Miami's mind especially with his sinker and slider showing above average movement. He's allowed one hit and that happened to be a grand slam home run.

Now if he continues to struggle with his command they might offer him back at some point, especially if they feel they are legitimate contenders and need a spot, but I think others will take a chance on him before he ends up back with the Orioles anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't necessarily think one game is going to change Miami's mind especially with his sinker and slider showing above average movement. He's allowed one hit and that happened to be a grand slam home run.

Now if he continues to struggle with his command they might offer him back at some point, especially if they feel they are legitimate contenders and need a spot, but I think others will take a chance on him before he ends up back with the Orioles anyways.

Kind of a Frobby queson but How common is it for other teams to claim a rule 5 guy after he is placed on waivers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...