Jump to content
weams

Orioles Lose Zach Pop and Grey Fenter in Rule Five

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

And then they have to keep him all next year, which is still just as UNlikely as any Rule V. :noidea:

Don’t think so.   They can finish up his 90 days, then send him to the minors.    That’s what we did with Santander:

2017 - started the year on the DL, then did a minor league rehab from July 27 to August 17, then was on the O’s from Aug. 18-Sept. 30.  Got 44 days of service.

2018 - played 46 days for the O’s, then got sent to the minors.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Don’t think so.   They can finish up his 90 days, then send him to the minors.    That’s what we did with Santander:

2017 - started the year on the DL, then did a minor league rehab from July 27 to August 17, then was on the O’s from Aug. 18-Sept. 30.  Got 44 days of service.

2018 - played 46 days for the O’s, then got sent to the minors.

 

I didn't know September time counted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I didn't know September time counted.

The service time rules are so convoluted.   September time does not count against the 45 days you can play in the majors before losing rookie status.    But it counts for this purpose, and it also counts when calculating service time for free agency/Super 2 status.   Go figure.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

As I said when he was drafted and then traded to the Marlins... Zach Pop isn't coming back. I think the decision to keep him over some who have little to no chance of helping this team when it becomes competitive was wrong. It was a silly gamble and it didn't work. 

Why do you think he's not coming back when he hasn't pitched? Even if they IL him, they still need him on the active roster for most of the year to keep him without it rolling over to next year. All they would be doing is pushing off his major league time until another year. Now they could try and do what the Orioles did with Santander and try to squeeze out an extra year by ILing him and then putting him on rehab, but I don't see them do that with Pop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Why do you think he's not coming back when he hasn't pitched? Even if they IL him, they still need him on the active roster for most of the year to keep him without it rolling over to next year. All they would be doing is pushing off his major league time until another year. Now they could try and do what the Orioles did with Santander and try to squeeze out an extra year by ILing him and then putting him on rehab, but I don't see them do that with Pop.

Thanks for asking. First I think that he is going to be a ML quality reliever and he will pitch his way to staying on their roster. I would also say that the fact that they traded for him means that there is a higher likelihood that they keep him. No guarantee of course (perhaps they simply traded the cash equivalent of the draft fee). But, It seems that they were high enough on him to workout a deal so it is not just a flier on their part.  The fact that they appear to be looking to stash him for a while seems to me to be an indicator that they are willing to be creative to keep him. I certainly could be wrong but I have been pretty consistent in my opinion of him and his potential which is the main reason I think he is gone. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

Thanks for asking. First I think that he is going to be a ML quality reliever and he will pitch his way to staying on their roster. I would also say that the fact that they traded for him means that there is a higher likelihood that they keep him. No guarantee of course (perhaps they simply traded the cash equivalent of the draft fee). But, It seems that they were high enough on him to workout a deal so it is not just a flier on their part.  The fact that they appear to be looking to stash him for a while seems to me to be an indicator that they are willing to be creative to keep him. I certainly could be wrong but I have been pretty consistent in my opinion of him and his potential which is the main reason I think he is gone. 

I like Pop a bit as well as we had him as the #23 prospect after the 2019 season. 

Saying that, I just don't see them stashing Pop anywhere and if he's injured, he's probably coming back. By Pop's own words he was ready to pitch last summer so it should have nothing to do with his TJ surgery back in 2019. 

As for trading for him, lots of teams have done that during the Rule 5 draft and the player to be named later is usually a Jack Zoellner type or ends up "future considerations." 

We'll see I guess, but if I were a betting man, Pop will be back returned to the Orioles organization at some point. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I like Pop a bit as well as we had him as the #23 prospect after the 2019 season. 

Saying that, I just don't see them stashing Pop anywhere and if he's injured, he's probably coming back. By Pop's own words he was ready to pitch last summer so it should have nothing to do with his TJ surgery back in 2019. 

As for trading for him, lots of teams have done that during the Rule 5 draft and the player to be named later is usually a Jack Zoellner type or ends up "future considerations." 

We'll see I guess, but if I were a betting man, Pop will be back returned to the Orioles organization at some point. 

 

I hope you're right. It's just a feeling I've had since he was taken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

I hope you're right. It's just a feeling I've had since he was taken. 

A lot of people had that feeling, but he was made available for a reason. Doesn't mean it was smart, but he wasn't protected for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a Fenter-centric  description of the waiver process for Rule 5 draft picks from The Cub reporter's lead writer Arizona Phil.  I haven't found any commentator who believes the Cubs will keep Fenter who hasn't played above low-A ball.  He is probably about 25th on the Cubs pitching depth chart. I could list the 24 ahead of him if you're interested! 

https://www.thecubreporter.com/comment/269044#comment-269044

"Outright Assignment Waivers can be requested on Rule 5 draft picks (technically they are called Rule 6 Selected Players, because Rule 6 deals with the aftermath of Rule 5) no earlier than 25 days prior to MLB Opening Day (which was this past Sunday), and a Rule 6 Selected Player can be outrighted to the minors (either back to the minor league club from which he was selected if the player's former organization reclaims the player, or to a minor league affilliate of the selecting club if the player's former club declines to re-claim the player) no earlier than 20 days prior to MLB Opening Day (which is this coming Friday). 

The player's former club has 48 hours to decide whether to reclaim the player once Outright Assignment Waivers have been secured, so if the Cubs requested Outright Assignnment Waivers on Fenter as soon as they could (let's say this past Sunday or Monday) and he cleared his waiver ride yesterday or today without being claimed, then the Orioles would have until tomorrow or Friday to decide whether to reclaim him, at which point either the Orioles reclaim Fenter and he is automatically sent outright to AAA Norfolk (the minor league club from which he was selected), or the Orioles decline to reclaim him and the Cubs keep him and outright him to AAA Iowa. 

It's possible a trade could be worked out with the Orioles if Outright Assignmment Waivers are secured and the Cubs want to keep Fenter but the Orioles want something back to make that happen (like maybe more $$$ and/or a player)."

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LookinUp said:

A lot of people had that feeling, but he was made available for a reason. Doesn't mean it was smart, but he wasn't protected for some reason.

No doubt and he is not a lock to reach his potential. I think the reason he was left off was ME was counting on him being passed over due to the TJ. It was two years ago and it was a silly gamble in MHO. It is not the end of the world as the O's are loaded with the relief pitcher prospect types. Just an unforced error in my opinion. They had a bit of a roster crunch this past offseason but it was nothing like the (good) problems that is coming during the next few offseasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

No doubt and he is not a lock to reach his potential. I think the reason he was left off was ME was counting on him being passed over due to the TJ. It was two years ago and it was a silly gamble in MHO. It is not the end of the world as the O's are loaded with the relief pitcher prospect types. Just an unforced error in my opinion. They had a bit of a roster crunch this past offseason but it was nothing like the (good) problems that is coming during the next few offseasons. 

I agree that Elias probably did not protect Pop because he thought he may not be picked with the TJ surgery and the layoff.   But I also think another factor was that he is a one inning reliever.  Elias picked two starters in the Rule 5 draft because he is looking for length.    Also in December Pop said he was throwing 92-93  nineteen months after the  surgery.    He may improve from that if he can get back to what he was before the surgery but its a gamble.  92-93 is pretty easy to find in a reliever.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree that Elias probably did not protect Pop because he thought he may not be picked with he TJ surgery and the layoff.   But I also think another factor was that he is a one inning reliever.  Elias picked two starters in the Rule 5 draft because he is looking for length.    Also in December Pop said he was throwing 92-93  nineteen months again the  surgery.    He may improve from that if he can get back to what he was before the surgery but its a gamble.  92-93 is pretty easy to find in a reliever.

Yeah, this. It's one thing if the one inning reliever is Hunter Harvey and he throws 97 and was a high draft pick and you've invested a lot in getting him healthy and effective. I think ultimately Elias prioritized starter candidates and bulk innings more than a one-inning guy who is almost certain to be returned if taken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, this. It's one thing if the one inning reliever is Hunter Harvey and he throws 97 and was a high draft pick and you've invested a lot in getting him healthy and effective. I think ultimately Elias prioritized starter candidates and bulk innings more than a one-inning guy who is almost certain to be returned if taken. 

I don't think what you have already spent on a player should be a consideration.

The issue I have with not protecting Pop is that I think Pop is a lot more likely to be an asset going forward than the players that were added.

But I don't think it's a move that going to have an outsized impact on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • THIS song! Sorry to repost it after only a few days... This has just PERMEATED my brain lately. Every time I turn around it's running thru my head again. Wish I spoke French so I could sing along. Voice fits my very limited range.  
    • Rutschman had a pretty terrible game yesterday.   In his second at bat, he came up with the bases loaded and one out and grounded into a double play on the first pitch.    Next time up, with runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out, he struck out.   Later, he made a throwing error on a stolen base attempt that allowed the runner to advance to 3rd.  That led to the winning run for Akron.  
    • SSS for sure but definitely sucks that the momentum that he has built is gone.  
    • Only has 57 post, give them a break.  Probably better posted in my post on the MLB guidance thread but I do find it interesting that the kid cant take responsibility for their own actions when they were clearly breaking mlb rules that have been in place for half a century or more.  
    • Sorry if I'm coming off a little preachy in my last post. This is just a really insane situation. Minor league salaries did get a bump a year ago, but 43 teams were also dissolved. Hell, a few years ago players were not only paid a horrible wage, they had to pay clubhouse fees. I'm a capitalist, but watching Chris Davis make over $21 million this year to spend the entire year at home in Texas, while we have AA players sleeping in their cars just to make ends meet? And if the fans don't care about that situation, nobody else will. Certainly not the two Goliaths battling over the new CBA and how two divy up over $10 billion in revenue per year. Damn.......I'm getting preachy again. Ok, I'll stop. 
    • Generally speaking, the kind of players that are having their service time manipulated originally signed for sizable bonuses, and many will be paid MLB salaries for multiple years. The players that are talking about sleeping in cars didn't get those big bonuses. If they're in AA they're making about $12k a year, only paid during the five month season. Apparently not paid at all during spring training or AFL.  Worth noting that I'm not at all a fan of the system allows teams to manipulate service clocks at all. If Rutschman is ready on August 1st, he should be called up on August 1st, not held out until some day in April the following season. But as a fan who wants to see the club win, and sustain that winning, manipulating a players' service clock has become an accepted reality in order to retain players you otherwise couldn't afford to keep.  To me, all of this boils down to the absurdity of the Uniform Minor League Player Contract and corresponding salary terms being negotiated solely by two parties that do not represent minor league players in any capacity. The owners don't want to pay any more than they absolutely have to, and the Major League Players Association doesn't want to lessen the potential salaries of the players they do represent. It leaves the average minor league player earning below the federal poverty line. I find it a particularly odd contrast to be building a state of the art 22.5 acre training facility in the Dominican Republic but we won't provide basic housing solutions for our players in the organization.  I'm not feeling at all conflicted about my anger. 
    • The varying combinations of Berra, Elston Howard and Johnny Blanchard used by the NYYs in the late 50s and early 60s were pretty good.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...