Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
connja

Update: Orioles sign 17 international players highlighted by Basallo and Hernandez

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

If it is true that the Orioles signed an above average international class, as at least one pundit suggested, I’d say they did that a year ahead of when I thought it would be possible.    So, much credit to Elias and Perez for their efforts.    Now I’m hoping to see these prospects actually make their mark on the field.    I’m looking forward to the day when I look at an Orioles top 30 list and 7-10 of them came from international signings.   

Elias is great, but I suspect after it's all said and done that Koby Perez is going to be the best part of this era when it comes to bringing in talent.  

That's my Friday hot take, I'm off to have a cigar.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it - fill your (non-pitcher) roster with catchers, shortstops, and centerfielders.  They can learn to play other positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Elias is great, but I suspect after it's all said and done that Koby Perez is going to be the best part of this era when it comes to bringing in talent.  

That's my Friday hot take, I'm off to have a cigar.

But it was Elias who decided to hire Perez, so both Elias and Perez will deserve any and all credit for bringing in international talent.

It was also Elias who identified international scouting and operations as a dire need, and made it a priority. So if any one person deserves/will deserve any credit, it's Elias.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

But it was Elias who decided to hire Perez, so both Elias and Perez will deserve any and all credit for bringing in international talent.

It was also Elias who identified international scouting and operations as a dire need, and made it a priority. So if any one person deserves/will deserve any credit, it's Elias.

Yeah. Elias hired him and Elias is also visiting these places to meet the players.

Truth be told, John Angelos is the one who deserves the credit.  :ducks:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melewski has updated his article with some new quotes.

Elias:

“I do think we’ve got guys here that immediately enter the conversation for some of our top prospects. And I think it’s going to be exciting to see some of these guys play well and then rise up the ranks. So big step for us.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/01/basallo-and-hernandez-head-up-os-international-class.html

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots to be excited about! I've been waiting a long time to see something like this. And not only are we rated in the top-tier, but the Yankees are in the bottom tier! 🙂

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, linedrive said:

Lots to be excited about! I've been waiting a long time to see something like this. And not only are we rated in the top-tier, but the Yankees are in the bottom tier! 🙂

Wonderful day for the Orioles. Atta boy Mike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another article from Melewski on the international signings, notable because it provides virtually no new information or quotes but pretty much just recycles yesterday’s information.   And honestly, yesterday really just confirmed what we already knew was going to happen.    But hey, we’re on the map in the international market so we may as well wallow in it.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/01/another-look-at-a-landmark-day-for-the-os-organization.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the most expensive signing was a catcher and Elias says some guys now rank up with our top prospects.

What's the over/under on the trade Rutschman threads? I say they begin in January 2022. Wildcard starts the thread but SG comments about 27 times.   🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

So the most expensive signing was a catcher and Elias says some guys now rank up with our top prospects.

What's the over/under on the trade Rutschman threads? I say they begin in January 2022. Wildcard starts the thread but SG comments about 27 times.   🤣

He won't be ready until AR is in arbitration 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully this is just the beginning, and we get signings like this or better every year. Elias and company need to keep the pipeline flowing with as much talent as possible.

What's the possibility of Basallo or Hernandez cracking the Top 30 prospects? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billw76 said:

Hopefully this is just the beginning, and we get signings like this or better every year. Elias and company need to keep the pipeline flowing with as much talent as possible.

What's the possibility of Basallo or Hernandez cracking the Top 30 prospects

By their signing bonuses alone they belong in the 20-30 range, but there is just so little on them and no statistics that it really would be on that alone. They basically are two mid to late second round talents by signing bonus.

Looking at my list and based off the comments, signing bonus and what little we know, I'd probably drop them in the 17 and 18 on the list right behind Mayo and Baumler. But again, that could be way low or way high. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

By their signing bonuses alone they belong in the 20-30 range, but there is just so little on them and no statistics that it really would be on that alone. They basically are two mid to late second round talents by signing bonus.

Looking at my list and based off the comments, signing bonus and what little we know, I'd probably drop them in the 17 and 18 on the list right behind Mayo and Baumler. But again, that could be way low or way high. 

I'd say maybe even higher given the differences in the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • One of the more exciting parts of the team is the bullpen and the upside of some of the arms out there.  The Scott/Harvey combo is at the top of that list. Those 2 staying healthy and being consistent are huge for the long term.  They have a chance to be a dominant back end of the pen.  Bullpens are finally starting to be valued more in line with how important they are but I still think we underestimate the importance of a great pen, largely because WAR does a poor job of evaluating relievers imo.
    • Worst of all, I often have an allergic reaction to many hoppy / dry beers (and also dry wines). I don’t know what causes it, as I haven’t been willing to spend thousands to find out exactly why, but lagers are safe so I stick with those. I was so excited for the beer revolution in the US that really kicked in about 20 years ago, but am constantly amazed how you can walk into a bar with 30 microbrews on draft and there will be only one or two that aren’t IPAs. 
    • Both Holt and Akin where very interesting.   Good one to listen to.
    • Orioles Manager Brandon Hyde has tabbed journeyman Thomas Eshelman to take the bump in Sunday afternoon's Spring Opener at Ed Smith Stadium.  https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/orioles-notes-and-quotes-from-todays-workout.html
    • Holt and Akin were tonight's guests. Roch before the interview segments on crowded OF I did notice the tone of certainty in his banter about Santander going at trade deadline. Holt describing Valdez said it is as simple as he "does what he's good at a bunch", which reminded me of Earl's book and his observation almost nobody is good at everything.   I think I heard him ruling out 6-man rotation when he got that question, saying the extra rest too disruptive to pitcher's rhythms.  I am guessing we will more skip starts, or shorten seasons to manage that. Akin gave a "trust the process" quote about marching orders from Holt at AAA to use sliders and change-ups when normally he wouldn't, even if walks ensued.   He said he and DL Hall talk all the time.   Asked about the 60 to 162 part of this year's challenge, he shared a bit from a conversation with Kremer, where Kremer said he simulated 50-60 innings between Spring Training 1 and Spring Training 2, and that he also was generally working like that last April/May/June too.
    • You left out Sceroler and Wells. And Mattson too for that matter.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...