Sign in to follow this  
connja

Update: Orioles sign 17 international players highlighted by Basallo and Hernandez

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

If it is true that the Orioles signed an above average international class, as at least one pundit suggested, I’d say they did that a year ahead of when I thought it would be possible.    So, much credit to Elias and Perez for their efforts.    Now I’m hoping to see these prospects actually make their mark on the field.    I’m looking forward to the day when I look at an Orioles top 30 list and 7-10 of them came from international signings.   

Elias is great, but I suspect after it's all said and done that Koby Perez is going to be the best part of this era when it comes to bringing in talent.  

That's my Friday hot take, I'm off to have a cigar.

• Upvote 2

I like it - fill your (non-pitcher) roster with catchers, shortstops, and centerfielders.  They can learn to play other positions. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Elias is great, but I suspect after it's all said and done that Koby Perez is going to be the best part of this era when it comes to bringing in talent.  

That's my Friday hot take, I'm off to have a cigar.

But it was Elias who decided to hire Perez, so both Elias and Perez will deserve any and all credit for bringing in international talent.

It was also Elias who identified international scouting and operations as a dire need, and made it a priority. So if any one person deserves/will deserve any credit, it's Elias.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

But it was Elias who decided to hire Perez, so both Elias and Perez will deserve any and all credit for bringing in international talent.

It was also Elias who identified international scouting and operations as a dire need, and made it a priority. So if any one person deserves/will deserve any credit, it's Elias.

Yeah. Elias hired him and Elias is also visiting these places to meet the players.

Truth be told, John Angelos is the one who deserves the credit.  :ducks:

• Haha 1

Melewski has updated his article with some new quotes.

Elias:

“I do think we’ve got guys here that immediately enter the conversation for some of our top prospects. And I think it’s going to be exciting to see some of these guys play well and then rise up the ranks. So big step for us.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/01/basallo-and-hernandez-head-up-os-international-class.html

• Upvote 2

Lots to be excited about! I've been waiting a long time to see something like this. And not only are we rated in the top-tier, but the Yankees are in the bottom tier! 🙂

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, linedrive said:

Lots to be excited about! I've been waiting a long time to see something like this. And not only are we rated in the top-tier, but the Yankees are in the bottom tier! 🙂

Wonderful day for the Orioles. Atta boy Mike. 

Another article from Melewski on the international signings, notable because it provides virtually no new information or quotes but pretty much just recycles yesterday’s information.   And honestly, yesterday really just confirmed what we already knew was going to happen.    But hey, we’re on the map in the international market so we may as well wallow in it.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/01/another-look-at-a-landmark-day-for-the-os-organization.html

So the most expensive signing was a catcher and Elias says some guys now rank up with our top prospects.

What's the over/under on the trade Rutschman threads? I say they begin in January 2022. Wildcard starts the thread but SG comments about 27 times.   🤣

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

So the most expensive signing was a catcher and Elias says some guys now rank up with our top prospects.

What's the over/under on the trade Rutschman threads? I say they begin in January 2022. Wildcard starts the thread but SG comments about 27 times.   🤣

He won't be ready until AR is in arbitration 😀

Hopefully this is just the beginning, and we get signings like this or better every year. Elias and company need to keep the pipeline flowing with as much talent as possible.

What's the possibility of Basallo or Hernandez cracking the Top 30 prospects? 

2 hours ago, billw76 said:

Hopefully this is just the beginning, and we get signings like this or better every year. Elias and company need to keep the pipeline flowing with as much talent as possible.

What's the possibility of Basallo or Hernandez cracking the Top 30 prospects

By their signing bonuses alone they belong in the 20-30 range, but there is just so little on them and no statistics that it really would be on that alone. They basically are two mid to late second round talents by signing bonus.

Looking at my list and based off the comments, signing bonus and what little we know, I'd probably drop them in the 17 and 18 on the list right behind Mayo and Baumler. But again, that could be way low or way high. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

By their signing bonuses alone they belong in the 20-30 range, but there is just so little on them and no statistics that it really would be on that alone. They basically are two mid to late second round talents by signing bonus.

Looking at my list and based off the comments, signing bonus and what little we know, I'd probably drop them in the 17 and 18 on the list right behind Mayo and Baumler. But again, that could be way low or way high. 

I'd say maybe even higher given the differences in the two.